Express to UPS?

dex03

I've been with Express for almost 3 years, ramp qualified swing driver. I've been dealt a bad hand by management regarding swing pay and being an "official" swing driver. Add that to the numerous flaws I already see with Express, I've decided to look elsewhere.

I have a mutual friend over at UPS who I am being set up to contact but I'd like some opinions from Express guys first. Would leaving Express for UPS be a smart move?

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've been with Express for almost 3 years, ramp qualified swing driver. I've been dealt a bad hand by management regarding swing pay and being an "official" swing driver. Add that to the numerous flaws I already see with Express, I've decided to look elsewhere.

I have a mutual friend over at UPS who I am being set up to contact but I'd like some opinions from Express guys first. Would leaving Express for UPS be a smart move?
Yes. Definitely so. You'll work harder and it's a harsher environment, but worth it if you can do it. Better pay (eventually), better benefits and better pension. If I was ten years younger and guaranteed a driving job, I would make the switch in a heartbeat.

bbsam

Staff member

Anything chance you can get out of the industry altogether?

dex03

Anything chance you can get out of the industry altogether?

I'm working on a degree that could lead to something better. In the meantime, I enjoy driving trucks and slinging packages. I don't enjoy working for a circus that calls itself an overnight delivery service.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm working on a degree that could lead to something better. In the meantime, I enjoy driving trucks and slinging packages. I don't enjoy working for a circus that calls itself an overnight delivery service.
Honestly I would look elsewhere if I were you. From what I have seen and heard, UPS will suck your desire to live right out your eye sockets.

Brisket

Or you could use the earn and learn program to your advantage.

And who doesn't like a circus?? Lol

dex03

Or you could use the earn and learn program to your advantage.

And who doesn't like a circus?? Lol

I'm not familiar with the earn and learn program, I'm going to school with a GI Bill so tuition isn't an issue.

And I'm aware UPS is hard work, I've seen the inside of an UPS 19 footer in the morning before. I'm also aware I'm working for a company that sets me up for failure everyday and can't seem to give me what is rightfully mine.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm not familiar with the earn and learn program, I'm going to school with a GI Bill so tuition isn't an issue.

And I'm aware UPS is hard work, I've seen the inside of an UPS 19 footer in the morning before. I'm also aware I'm working for a company that sets me up for failure everyday and can't seem to give me what is rightfully mine.
I hate to break it to you but UPS will also set you up to fail. But, you will have a Union to fight for you.

dex03

I hate to break it to you but UPS will also set you up to fail. But, you will have a Union to fight for you.

Of course, I know it won't be perfect there. But it will be better than a company that sends its drivers out knowing they can't make P1 service and then looks the other way when drivers falsify. and don't forget the "extra time" BS. Oh and I'm a swing with a signed offer letter that does swing work yet I haven't seen a single penny of swing pay.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Of course, I know it won't be perfect there. But it will be better than a company that sends its drivers out knowing they can't make P1 service and then looks the other way when drivers falsify. and don't forget the "extra time" BS. Oh and I'm a swing with a signed offer letter that does swing work yet I haven't seen a single penny of swing pay.
Have you called HR?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Does your offer letter state how much you SHOULD be making as a swing or what you are being paid right now?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Offer letter states as of Sept XX 2016 I'd be getting paid at a swing rate. All my paychecks still have me at my courier rate, which of course is less.
Oh, that's an easy one to get fixed. Payroll will have to go back to that September date and pay you the difference.