Extra Work

WillcontactA$AP

Can a full time package car driver come into work the preload and then go home because they “got the day off” ? I’m asking because I am also a full time package car driver next in line to be called for the A.M. shift. I could have worked the A.M. shift and my regular shift.

barnyard

KTM rider
Extra work is offered in seniority order and forced from the bottom up. Low guys rarely work preload in my building. Several drivers have grieved it and we have a posting twice a year for those that want to be offered extra work.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Here's a scenario....No drivers sign up for extra work and the company is in one of their "hiring freezes". Does that give management the right to do union work?

barnyard

KTM rider
Here's a scenario....No drivers sign up for extra work and the company is in one of their "hiring freezes". Does that give management the right to do union work?
Contractually, they would have to force from the bottom up.

That is sort of what happened in our building. We did not have a sign up and they were calling people that lived close to the building to work the preload. 2 guys that are near the top of the seniority list grieved it and won. Now, they work so many hours on the preload, that they go out light to avoid going over 12 hours.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Contractually, they would have to force from the bottom up.

That is sort of what happened in our building. We did not have a sign up and they were calling people that lived close to the building to work the preload. 2 guys that are near the top of the seniority list grieved it and won. Now, they work so many hours on the preload, that they go out light to avoid going over 12 hours.
So you're saying the company can force FT drivers to come in to work preload AND deliver a route too? All because the company simply doesn't want to hire anyone? ARE YOU :censored2:ING KIDDING ME!?

Indecisi0n

So you're saying the company can force FT drivers to come in to work preload AND deliver a route too? All because the company simply doesn't want to hire anyone? ARE YOU :censored2:ING KIDDING ME!?
A FT driver cannot be forced to work out of classification. If they don't get anyone they are suppose to call surrounding buildings. If they still dont get anyone then needs of the business would allow sups to work.

Rack em

Made the Podium
A FT driver cannot be forced to work out of classification. If they don't get anyone they are suppose to call surrounding buildings. If they still dont get anyone then needs of the business would allow sups to work.
So the company refuses to hire and maintain an adequate staff and that gives them the right to have supervisors do bargaining unit work?

Indecisi0n

So the company refuses to hire and maintain an adequate staff and that gives them the right to have supervisors do bargaining unit work?
I agree with you but this is how it is setup right now. Honestly it's never come to this as these guys suck up all the OT they can get. I tell drivers not to work preload to prove a point but they are money hungry and don't give a :censored2:.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I agree with you but this is how it is setup right now. Honestly it's never come to this as these guys suck up all the OT they can get. I tell drivers not to work preload to prove a point but they are money hungry and don't give a :censored2:.
That's what I did last summer. I actually got most drivers to agree not to come in and preload because they are literally taking away someone's potential job. Got a few supervisor working grievances paid too, and I hope to continue that this summer again!

Indecisi0n

That's what I did last summer. I actually got most drivers to agree not to come in and preload because they are literally taking away someone's potential job. Got a few supervisor working grievances paid too, and I hope to continue that this summer again!
And that's how your suppose to play it. Now you have a paper trail of the building being understaffed. Now the union can step in and say you are understaffed and we have proof from this date on.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have 4-5 guys that work the preload pretty much every day. Their routes have to go out lighter, which adds at least 1 more FT driver every day. So there is that.

Also, double shifting is supposed to be offered to PT people before FT is offered the extra work. We had 2 local sorters try it, they hated it and went back to their 3 hours of local sort.

D

Deleted member 77202

I've only seen it happen a few times a year, but I've worked the Pre-load 4:00--9:00am shift unloading feeders with someone who is a full-time package car driver, and after 9:00am, he changed into his uniform and went delivering his usual route.

Overpaid Union Thug

We have 4-5 guys that work the preload pretty much every day. Their routes have to go out lighter, which adds at least 1 more FT driver every day. So there is that.

Also, double shifting is supposed to be offered to PT people before FT is offered the extra work. We had 2 local sorters try it, they hated it and went back to their 3 hours of local sort.
Here the FT drivers on preload get lighter routes but routes aren’t added in return. Other drivers get screwed with their work.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Can a full time package car driver come into work the preload and then go home because they “got the day off” ? I’m asking because I am also a full time package car driver next in line to be called for the A.M. shift. I could have worked the A.M. shift and my regular shift.
The drivers that sign up for preload but go home after preload instead of working their normal shift are :censored2:bags. You’ll hear the excuse of seniority, and it’s legit, but they are still jerks for taking extra work from people that ACTUALLY wanted it.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Nope.

"Improperly staffed" and a part timer on that shift can file and get paid double time for the hours the supe worked. There's new language for triple time pay as well.
It does when the preload is short staffed.
More of your garbage posting as usual.

If the company refuses to staff the operation they are liable to pay for the hours they worked at a minimum of double time.

Ever learn to read a CBA?

Last edited: