Facebook: Connecting With the Past

over9five

Staff member
So a couple months ago I got Facebook (I know, Holy Sh****, Ovah got Facebook!!!).
I talk to exactly ZERO people from my youth. Circumstances back then led to me cutting ties with everyone I knew. Now I'm older, the kids are all grown, I have TIME, and I wonder what became of the people I grew up with.
I've decided to find out. Last night I picked an old friend, and tried to find her. Easy on Facebook, right? Everyone has it, right? I read an article six months ago that said the people who have Facebook now outnumber the people who don't. Well, it turns out, women can be hard to locate. If they've married, you don't know their last name. I couldn't find my friend, BUT.............
.......I found her sister, who is married but included her maiden name in her profile. So I sent her a short message, "Hi Kate, Are you Barbies sister? Forgive me if you're not! Ovah". You see, she was maybe 12 at the time, probably wouldn't remember me.
Will she answer? Is she the right person? Very exciting!

Anyone else ever take a shot in the dark like that on Facebook?
Anyone else try to reconnect with your past?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Some people don't want to be found.

My daughter has dug up about half of her class from Bonneville H.S. in Idaho Falls. A couple of them have even met her at the Honolulu airport on their way to Maui or other islands. She finds it fun.

I don't do Facebook!!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I don't do face book but we have had 2 grammer school reunions St. C........ '69 Some of the other commitee members used face book to reach out to past class mates . Last gathering we had close to 40 show up. Those people were and are the best. 9 years of our lives spent together as we grew up with the nuns,teachers,hit with rulers,fist fights on the playground ,our first dances,playing sports, the rest of our lives in front of us. For a few hours every year we are back at SCS again and raise a glass to one another,say a prayer for those who have left,and talk about our lives and children and now our grandchildren. PS I always tell the girls that SCS had the best looking women and they smile and reply "Stewie your so cute where is Lewie ? "

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My wife and daughter set up my Facebook page, and filled it full of pictures and such. I had no say in it whatsoever. I used to check it every once in awhile, but its been months now. Too much spam, too many time-wasting games, too many "friend requests" from people I dont have time or energy for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My wife and daughter set up my Facebook page, and filled it full of pictures and such. I had no say in it whatsoever. I used to check it every once in awhile, but its been months now. Too much spam, too many time-wasting games, too many "friend requests" from people I dont have time or energy for.

I understand they have groups of dog-lovers and post lots of pictures of dogs.
That get you interested?

raceanoncr

Got account. Use it mostly to post gatherings w/grandkids, car events, some of my hot rods, etc.

Some classmates found me, I found some. None want any interaction, which is just fine with me, I just find it a little odd when we were such good friends in school (course, that was over 50 yrs ago, too). I shouldn't say "just fine with me" when I would like to do coffee or drink just to catch up on their lives and brag about mine and me (with emphasis on ME) especially when they live in same town as me.

I CERTAINLY don't want to find any old girlfriends on here or anywhere. Don't need THAT in my life anymore.

over9five

Staff member
.......I found her sister, who is married but included her maiden name in her profile. So I sent her a short message, "Hi Kate, Are you Barbies sister? Forgive me if you're not! Ovah". You see, she was maybe 12 at the time, probably wouldn't remember me.
Will she answer? Is she the right person? Very exciting!

OK, kinda funny update:

Kate hasn't answered me, so I kinda poked around her Facebook page. First checked her friends. No Barbie there, so Barbie probably doesn't have Facebook, right? Second, checked her pictures. She has one folder called "Old Pics", in it is a picture of Kate when she was 16. Looks strikingly like Barbie did, now I know I have the right person.

I'm bored, so I Google Kate's name. (Don't worry, I promise no stalking!) Came up with an obit notice, their Dad died in 2003. Obits give the full names of all the kids, the full married names. Did I mention there are 5 sisters?

Now I have Barbies last name, so just for fun I search Facebook. Well, doesn't she have a Facebook page! No pictures, but it has our high school, so I know it's her. Now the weird part is neither Kate nor Barbie have each other or any other sister as friends! Isn't that weird????

I didn't message Barbie. Think I'll wait a bit more and see if Kate answers.

Yes, I lead a boring life, ok?

klein

Für Meno :)
You might like it better than BC ! Atleast on fb, you'll get to chat with people that are or were close to you :)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't have facebook don't plan on getting it. I have told my wife many times though I want to set up an account then never touch it again ad accept all requests privacy like zero and see what comes out of the wood works and what my page turns into in 5 years or so.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I enjoy it. I belong to club called the secret society of the white dobermans, as they are kinda rare, and so are the rare kooky people who own them, like me. And we share our dobie pics, and quirks, etc. I see pics of my grandkids, that I would miss. I have found old friends, and beaus. One guy friended me, I hadnt seen in 20 yrs. His wife unfriended me the day I wished him happy birthday, Oh well. Yea I enjoy it but it can be a time waster, BUT, when you have such a limited social life, it keeps ya in the know!

over9five

Staff member
I talked to my best friend from my youth last night. I helped him move to Florida maybe 15 years ago, and last saw him in 2001. He answered me right away, unlike Kate.....!!!!!
Pretty cool.

fethrs

Anyone else ever take a shot in the dark like that on Facebook?
Anyone else try to reconnect with your past?

My high school sweetheart found me on fb on 1-1-10. It was weird, I don't usually log on early in the am, but that morning I jumped up out of bed and practically ran to the computer and there was his friend request.

Long story short, it was time for a change, I wasn't happy and he moved down here a year ago.

We've found what we lost 25 yrs ago.

over9five

Staff member
My high school sweetheart found me on fb on 1-1-10. It was weird, I don't usually log on early in the am, but that morning I jumped up out of bed and practically ran to the computer and there was his friend request.

Long story short, it was time for a change, I wasn't happy and he moved down here a year ago.

We've found what we lost 25 yrs ago.
Wow, great story!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I cant decide which is worse on FB: those that post 20 religious posts a day ,or those who post 20 political posts a day.
It gets OLD