Facility tour and union questions.

zrhckr

I have a few questions...

1 -I went to the facility tour yesterday at 11:00 PM, 7 people showed up and it lasted about an hour and a half, later, the lady (hr representative) gave me an interview for next monday (6/30/2014) do you guys have any idea of what do they ask or what do i have to bring am i going to get the job?

2 -What is the union? lol this is the first time that I've applied at ups and I have seen many comments about the union and their dues, could someone please explain it a little bit?

thanks!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
1. Sounds like you're applying for preload, as long as you have a clean record you'll be fine.

2. The union is here to negotiate the terms of work, including safety, wages, treatment of employees. Some feel the union isn't needed, go work for Walmart if you want to see how things look when a company isn't held accountable for the treatment of employees. Or become a PT sup at UPS.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

1 -I went to the facility tour yesterday at 11:00 PM, 7 people showed up and it lasted about an hour and a half, later, the lady (hr representative) gave me an interview for next monday (6/30/2014) do you guys have any idea of what do they ask or what do i have to bring am i going to get the job?

2 -What is the union? lol this is the first time that I've applied at ups and I have seen many comments about the union and their dues, could someone please explain it a little bit?

thanks!
1 - Call her and ask her.

2 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_unions_in_the_United_States

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

thanks!
Bring a pen...consult with your mother on what to wear for the interview.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
1. It would help if we knew what position you were applying for.

2. The Union is the organization that promotes mediocrity amongst its members.

Generalizing much? When I read your posts on here, I can come to the conclusion that you have been working in a UPS building that's totally different than the ones 99 percent of us have been working in. Most employers nowadays don't give a damn about their co-workers safety. They think that we're just machines, literally. This is coming from someone who has held many jobs and liked by every employer.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

thanks!

1.) Just because you got an interview doesn't mean you got the job. They'll most likely ask you "why you want to work for ups?". Tell you that the job is hard.

2.) If you're 17+ yrs old and don't know what a union is or does, I feel sorry for you. I'm not even going to answer that question. The dues is a small amount of money you pay monthly to the union to help fund it to keep it's services that it provides to you active. It's the same as putting gas into a car to make it run and service you.

watdaflock?

The Union takes like $200 (can't remember the exact amount) out your first few months paychecks calling it an "application fee" or some nonsense, along with the normal monthly Union fee. Early on and if you're not working every day the take home $$ is bad.

After you're hired a year later benefits will finally kick in.

Seems to me the first year is the worse.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I personally thought it was a bad idea, and spoke against it before the vote. At least for PT. Among the reasons (although I may not have mentioned this one 'on the mike'), was I don't think the additional revenue comes close to offsetting possible bad publicity in the near future when RTW legislation is proposed for IL. I'm guessing the vast majority of new members each year are PT UPS, say about 1,000/yr. After the IBT gets a cut, that's $45k; just a drop in the bucket, I don't see that making any difference in whatever that money is earmarked for (which I believe it was implied to go towards organizing).
Edit: there has been quite a bit of organizing success the past 2 years, but a lot of these are small barns of 10-12 bargaining unit members.