failed for not memorizing 10 point paragraphs word-for-word...?

from what I have read on here, and have heard at my center from my fellow co-workers that it was imperative to learn only the bolded steps, and that only a general explanation of which each one meant... what changed? I got failed for not knowing it ALL word for word, and plus, the paper I did learn the 10 point commentary from alters slightly than the one I received to re-study for school next week... when was it made necessary for us to learn these paragraphs word for word? and if it is new, will the drivers that didn't learn the following paragraphs have to learn them now?? that's the only fair solution to the part-timers of UPS..

thanks,
hillmillenia

oldngray

nowhere special
There is an amazing amount of BS drivers are expected to memorize. It really does little other than give UPS an excuse to claim they promote safety. Being able to recite cute little phrases is a far cry from applying it in the real world. It seems there is something new to memorize every year. The geeks sitting in an office (in the middle of Clarksville?) love to invent new acronyms to justify their jobs. Its a serious pain but yes, you do need to memorize that BS like a good little robot.

ibleedbrown

oh man that is some bs!! i have been told by my hr and people i road tested with that i have to know the highlighted portion of the 10 pt commentary word for word and be able to explain them. nevertheless i have them pretty much memorized word for word, it would suck if they change it up after the fact. i am scheduled for integrad apr 29th-may 4th. if u don't mind me asking, where was your integrad located and on what day were you disqualified? do you know how many people made it through the class?

Jim Kemp

Y'all must be new. I have been here for over 30 years and I don't know any of that stuff. I have over 30 years safe driving and have not had any injuries. What could I gain by memorizing a poem? And what does "scheduled for intergrad" mean? I am glad I am not starting now, I don't think I could memorize all that.

ibleedbrown

integrad is the week long driver training classes that driver candidates have to go through nowadays in order to be a driver. sucks, but it is what it is. from what i have heard some areas integrad are tougher than others but by all accounts it is no day at the park. for you guys that have been driving a while they have new guys learning all kinds of methods and memorizing stuff that they will probably never be able to fire you for(imo if it aint broke don't try to fix it), but will apparently disqualify people in class at the drop of a dime if we can't do or memorize the stuff they want us to learn.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I just passed the class back in January and at that time in my area we had to know the 5 seeing habits verbatim (aim high in steering) and for the 10 point commentary we had to say all the key words that are on the dok check sheet. If you're being told you have to explain all the 10 point commentary word for word from some other workbook thats different than it is here. I would talk to a steward if they're trying to disqualify you solely for that.

oldngray

nowhere special
There was no integrad and minimum of BS when I started driving. The 5 seeing habits were about all you needed to (mostly) remember. Just jump in a truck and learn on the job. And focus on the important things like paying attention to what you are doing instead of trying to remember some silly thing you were supposed to memorize.

from what I have read on here, and have heard at my center from my fellow co-workers that it was imperative to learn only the bolded steps, and that only a general explanation of which each one meant... what changed? I got failed for not knowing it ALL word for word, and plus, the paper I did learn the 10 point commentary from alters slightly than the one I received to re-study for school next week... when was it made necessary for us to learn these paragraphs word for word? and if it is new, will the drivers that didn't learn the following paragraphs have to learn them now?? that's the only fair solution to the part-timers of UPS..

thanks,
hillmillenia
Your going to hell for that one.

Notretiredyet

They don't even send our new drivers to intergrad here, someone from the safety committee mentors them. I've trained a few myself, all are still working accident and injury free so far.

Johney

I believe they can disqualify you for just about anything until you get seniority in your classification. I may be wrong though.

balland chain

From what I have experienced it is up to your sup. I have had a sup that just wants to hear the basics, not word for word. My new sup wants to hear the whole thing word for word. If you were given one that is different from the one that is posted, I would ask for two days to learn it. In my opinion, this is a bunch of BS anyway..We do the job safely, we work by the safety rules (what a joke) just so UPS can present these numbers to the Insurance co. to show them that they are all for safety, when actually they could give a rats ass.. It is all a dog and pony show....

UPSGUY72

thanks,
hillmillenia

You need to know all the safety dribble word for word if you want to pass Driving school. After you become a driver and make your 30 days things are different...

cino321

Until you get your union card as a full time driver they can pretty much make you do anything in terms of memorizing DOK.

Cementups

Box Monkey
They must not need drivers too bad if they are failing potential drivers so easily.

If it eases your pain any, I would venture to guess that 90% of drivers who have more than 10 years in couldn't recite their drivel either

thanks,
hillmillenia
No we aren't going to learn them! We do them! Its your job!!!!First grader to learn them , then do them. If you can even pass the class!

ManInBrown

HR gave me the driver training sheet at my interview. Said everything highlighted has to be memorized word for word.

I got the 5 seeing eye habits and explanation for each memorized word for word. That was highlighted

I have the 10 point commentary memorized word for word. That was highlighted.

The explanation for each 10 point commentary is not highlighted and if I need to memorize that word for word or I fail I might as well not even bother showing up. No chance I can do that. LOL. Might be able to spit out part of the explanation for a couple of them. ZERO chance I could memorize all 10 explanations word for word. I'd be shocked if 10% of the class could. That's some Rain man Sh$t. I'm going to have to confirm with someone in HR exactly what needs to be memorized.

I just received a 10 year safe driving award at FedEx. Wonder if I could just show them that?