Fans in the trucks, dust!

1Simplemann

1st post here. I'm a driver fro 11 yrs in Montana. I drive 100 miles a day on dusty gravel roads. I drive w/ the doors closed to keep the dust out. Obviously it gets hot and dusty in there. Anyway, last year I filed a grievance last year on two issues. 1st grievances I've ever filed! Fans in the cab Art. 18 Sect. 14, and sealing the truck from dust Art. 18 Sect. 17. I found out that the dust I've been breathing for years is potentially deadly. It's called Silicosis. Basically lung cancer over time! Since I don't smoke I became very concerned. Silicosis comes from crushed rock. It's a documented decease. Both the CDC and OSHA warn against the hazards of dust. It's a legitimate concern. The roads we drive on are made of crushed rock! There were two of us grieving the issue. Long story short the other driver was grieving that and 9.5 issues. He was/is a thorn in their side and VERY vocal about his issues. Labor Manager fired him for dishonesty. He got his job back 3 weeks later but very conveniently all his grievances went away. Well somehow my grievances were conveniently lost as well. NEVER heard a word. Not from the shop steward (he was new shop steward), not the BA. Nothing. BA just gave me the run around. Said the Union was just preparing their case. I was told that the truck was sealed to factory specs and they couldn't do anything else. More like "wouldn't" if you ask me. Winter came. No dust or heat issues obviously so I just let it go. Plus I just figured if I kept bitching they would somehow find something to fire me for instead actually fixing the problem. Fast forward to now. Summer. Hot and dusty! I just found out a safety committee member filed a grievance on the fan issue on behalf of all our center drivers. He actually hooked up a fan himself and the district manager saw it and had it removed. I offered to file an additional grievance but he said his was sufficient. So I guess my question or concern is are there other drivers out there w/ the same issues? I was thinking about this while at work and that's when I wondered if there was a "Brown" forum to voice my concerns to since I'm not really getting anywhere at work. Hope here from you guys. You'll be hearing from me that for sure.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i put my own fan in the truck and they removed it. then i put it back in and they removed it. then i put it back in and they left it alone. most other issues i would bring up to my mechanic and he would take care of it without going to the supe.

they had to supply me with masks and ear plugs and safety glasses when i put chains on. it is in the contract that they have to supply you with anything you need to do your job right and in a safe manner.

you can also bring up these concerns with OSHA and see if you have any recourse there but that could/probably cause more problems.

1Simplemann

They gave me a cheap dust mask when I asked for a respirator. Made me sign a waiver. ?? Not sure what that was about. Cumbersome and sufficating. Now I wear my fishing Buff that I wet down. Does seem to help and keeps me cooler. When I don't wear it I blow black crap out of my nose at the end of the day. Much better when I do wear it.

billerz

We have fans in all our trucks, just a small one and it doesn't help with dust at all. We have some rural routes, but nothing like Montana lol. The guys that drive rural routes in my center just deal with the dust, they leave the doors open all year.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i put my own fan in the truck and they removed it. then i put it back in and they removed it. then i put it back in and they left it alone. most other issues i would bring up to my mechanic and he would take care of it without going to the supe.

they had to supply me with masks and ear plugs and safety glasses when i put chains on. it is in the contract that they have to supply you with anything you need to do your job right and in a safe manner.

you can also bring up these concerns with OSHA and see if you have any recourse there but that could/probably cause more problems.
Why would you need a fan in an air conditioned feeder?

8000Shelf

Drive up to 320 miles a day, almost all on dirt roads. Just ordered motorcycle goggles to keep the dust out of my eyes. Doors open man

bbsam

Staff member
I find closing all doors and windows but opening the vent by drivers left foot eliminates most of the dust problems.

1Simplemann

Drive up to 320 miles a day, almost all on dirt roads. Just ordered motorcycle goggles to keep the dust out of my eyes. Doors open man
I would agree with you that it's cooler to keep the doors open. I did it for years. It doesn't keep the dust out of your lungs. Do some research. It's called Silicosis. It's real. It's not some made up crap. It's just like smoking for 20-30 yrs. Lung Cancer. My mother died of lung cancer so I may be more than a little concerned about dying of lung cancer especially since I've never smoked a day on my life. It also doesn't take of the back. Walking into a brown dust cloud to get a package isn't healthy. I deliver to multiple Dr.'s and when that cloud rolls out they all say the same thing. "That's not healthy". Either way, I would encourage you to protect yourself while on the gravel. On asphalt I open the doors to blow it out.

1Simplemann

I find closing all doors and windows but opening the vent by drivers left foot eliminates most of the dust problems.
It helps but doesn't solve it. Mask helps a lot. Sure would love a fan though on those 90+ days. they say we don't need them up here. Southern guys get them but not us? I asked my sup "What it's like to sit in an office w/ AC all day while your drivers sweat it out all day in hot trucks w/ heat index's over 100+". No response of course.

9.5er

Fans don't help on those hot days. It just blows hot, dirty air in your face. I never turn my fan on. Dust is a real issue on those long dirt roads. Luckily we don't have many of them where I live but I do have a few to go down each day.

mrbrownstone

While I can't answer your question I would say that you may be best in another career.

While dust concerns you and rightfully so, UPS can probably find another driver that doesn't share the same concern and won't fight the issue.

I have a feeling that the noise level in some of the older trucks I drive as a cover driver a not good for my hearing but have not tested the actual decibel levels to know for sure.

I think the general nature of this job is unsafe not matter how you look at it. For example, I don't believe our knees and joints were designed to get on and of a truck 400+ times a day (I do routes that go out with 200 to 220 stops) . I know the risk and am dealing with it for now but know I will only last 10 or so years.

1Simplemann

While I can't answer your question I would say that you may be best in another career.

While dust concerns you and rightfully so, UPS can probably find another driver that doesn't share the same concern and won't fight the issue.

I have a feeling that the noise level in some of the older trucks I drive as a cover driver a not good for my hearing but have not tested the actual decibel levels to know for sure.

I think the general nature of this job is unsafe not matter how you look at it. For example, I don't believe our knees and joints were designed to get on and of a truck 400+ times a day (I do routes that go out with 200 to 220 stops) . I know the risk and am dealing with it for now but know I will only last 10 or so years.
Mr brownstone, Another career at this stage of my life isn't probable especially in this town. UPS can certainly find another driver to replace anyone of us. Just look at the PT list and you'll see a bunch of eager young guys waiting for you to retire. I protect my hearing as well. The noise level is too high. Yes your body is going to break down from doing 200-220 stops a day even if you follow all the "methods". That why I bid the route I bid. So I"ll actually be healthy enough to enjoy retirement when that day comes. For you to truly appreciate the dust level, I suggest you run a rural route some time. Black crap comes out of your nose all day. Dust levels and the parts per million are federally mandated by OSHA. Good luck in having OSHA come out and measure them though. It was a complete joke when I called them. I have no doubt that the back of my truck exceeds to levels and the front isn't much better. It is also my belief that we are UNION members and union members should stay together to fight the good fight. If you have a problem then I have a problem. I have always had my fellow brothers back. I come from a UNION family so that's how I was raised. Maybe you don't have the same concerns as I do but you should fight the issue with me. Not belittle me and tell me to get another career.