Fatality accident

over9five

Staff member
This video was playing in the center today. It scares me just to watch it.

Rollover truck Crash on Donner Pass

Didn`t look like one. Boy,going that couple extra miles an hour sure paid off. Hey 9.5,were they showing this as a do or don`t video?

rod

Retired 22 years
Didn`t look like one. Boy,going that couple extra miles an hour sure paid off. Hey 9.5,were they showing this as a do or don`t video?

They were probably showing it as a "you made it past the accident and it didn't envolve you so why are you stopping" vidio.

Bad Gas!

I went to a monthly safty meeting today.The division mgt said UPS is involved in roughly 25 fitalities a year....Either us or tthem was not disclosed...But you don't hear much about these accidents unless they are in your center..

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have driven tractor/trailers down Donner. It is a pass that you don't want to friend* around on. It is very long, winding and in some areas the grade can be as much as 8/9%. Though those %'s are high at least the length is usually short (less than a mile). It seems to me the overall mileage of Donner is somewhere in the nieghborhood of 50 miles. Beautiful country, but not to be taken lightly.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i believe he is out of control. if you watch real close as he passes the camera truck, he almost rolled it then. might have even made contact.

speed kills.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
there is this process. its called learning from other's mistakes. much cheaper in the long run.

my guess is that is why it was shown? for those drivers that think speed limits and warning signs are just suggestions?

d

tieguy

Banned
I've seen this one passed around by email at work. Pretty sobering to think the co-driver died with no fault to him.

I've played it over and over quite a few times thinking about what I might do different in that situation if it were me.

Obvious answer is to not speed.

Once you get past the obvious answer the only thing I can think of to do would be to use two lanes once you clear the camera truck and then to start slowling up while keeping yourself as straight as possible.

If you look at the video he goes over the center line then pulls it hard left back in his lane. At that point he loses it completely.

But again the obvious answer is to drive the speed limit. :happy-very:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
tie

i never saw brake lights, not once.

also, if you watch the angle of the trailer as it passes the camera truck, it was already at that time on the right wheels alone. the camera truck almost looks like it kept it from turning over that time.

it makes me thing brake failure more than just a driver that was speeding?

dont you know the car in front had to clean out their pants. just a few seconds more and they would have been under that rig. or it might be, like so many other drivers that never get the big picture, they never knew and drove blissfully onward, without a clue that their angel was working overtime?

d

Mike Hawk

The camera truck saw it coming, he moved over as the other one was passing.
And it does look like there were brake lights on the trailer, hard to see but I am pretty sure they went on right after the whole back side of the trailer comes into view. right at 12 sec