Fate of 400,000 Teamster pensions rests in Ken Feinberg's hands

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Fate of 400,000 Teamster pensions rests in Ken Feinberg's hands - Pensions and Investments

Fred Allsen, a retired truck driver and disabled Vietnam War veteran, has received a $2,700 pension check every month for the past decade. That may not last much longer.

By May 7, federal mediator Kenneth Feinberg must decide whether to accept a plan to cut Mr. Allsen's payouts and those of thousands of other teamsters to prevent the Central States Pension Fund from going broke. The decision could set a national precedent for other multiemployer funds.

“It would be devastating,” said Mr. Allsen, 66, who spent 32 years trucking freight in Illinois and now lives in Cape Coral, Florida. His pension check could be reduced by more than half. “We'd have to cut back on everything to survive.”

arenc8161

Yeah, I think I should do some research on this topic. I know nothing about our retirement plan or how our savings in a 401k differ from your pension.. I'm an idiot! I know.. Any recommendations on where to start?

arenc8161

Do I put money into the pension, or is that money from the company and then they invest that for you? I just don't understand where that money from the pension is coming from

rod

Retired 22 years
The bottom line is nothing is guaranteed 100% safe. Anyone can have their life savings wiped out in an instant given the right circumstances. Stock market crash- WW3-internet meltdown- civil uprising-government collapse-etc.

rod

Retired 22 years
There are a lot of peoples lives resting in Ken Feinberg's hands. Its not like 400,000 old retired Teamsters can go out and get a decent paying job.

Probably the number one good suggestion----- but mostly ignored by the younger generation from what I see. Everyone now has to have the fancy house and 2 new vehicles the day after they get married.
We've had guys that retired, that still have a mortgage.
Our pension fund isn't in the greatest shape either.

By The Book

Probably the number one good suggestion----- but mostly ignored by the younger generation from what I see. Everyone now has to have the fancy house and 2 new vehicles the day after they get married.
I thought that was you who just drove by out front.