Favoritism/Job Assignment

Dbid

I work as an outbound shifter. Recently a fellow shifter took a FT job and there will be spot open on the dock he worked. I expressed interest in moving to the dock but my supervisor said that it does not matter and he can put whoever he wants there. This same Supervisor has moved others around to the dock locations that they have asked for. One of the reasons I would like to move to the dock is because it is less work(I have not expressed this as the reason) and I am getting older and the work is hard on the body. I want to continue working healthy at UPS for as long as I can.

My question is whether or not I have any type of recourse such as trying to prove favoritism or any other action I can take.

I also don't have a great deal of faith in our steward in our building.
Thank you for your time and any recommendations are welcomed.

Whitelexus

I work as an outbound shifter. Recently a fellow shifter took a FT job and there will be spot open on the dock he worked. I expressed interest in moving to the dock but my supervisor said that it does not matter and he can put whoever he wants there. This same Supervisor has moved others around to the dock locations that they have asked for. One of the reasons I would like to move to the dock is because it is less work(I have not expressed this as the reason) and I am getting older and the work is hard on the body. I want to continue working healthy at UPS for as long as I can.

My question is whether or not I have any type of recourse such as trying to prove favoritism or any other action I can take.

Good luck proving favoritism...that's a shot in the dark.
Doctor's order?

Dbid

So, I take it that I will have to be miserable until we get a new pt supervisor/Ft supervisor. I mean I know there are sly ways around it, and I can employ certain methods myself but was hoping to avoid that Avenue.

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
So, I take it that I will have to be miserable until we get a new pt supervisor/Ft supervisor. I mean I know there are sly ways around it, and I can employ certain methods myself but was hoping to avoid that Avenue.
Better dust off those knee pads buddy you're gonna need em

brown_trousers

If you are in the west..
Western supplement, section 4;

"Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load, or workstation unless specifically provided in the applicable supplement, rider, or addendum or an established practice thereunder"

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

Are you in a yardbird? Only way I can see the dock being easier is if you're in a tractor, or at least that's how our hub is. Some of the guys assigned to the dock work as hard as anyone in our building. We constantly need clean trailers for CPU's and it seems like every trailer on our yard with has tons of bags, pallets or cardboard.

If I shift I like the outbound best. They have me build sets all night. Easy$$

Dr.Brownz

Start following all the methods to a T and work slowly and safely. Things will change. Don't let them pressure you to work fast/unsafely.

Dr.Brownz

If you are in the west..
Western supplement, section 4;

"Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load, or workstation unless specifically provided in the applicable supplement, rider, or addendum or an established practice thereunder"

Indeed but he can look to past practice as grounds for a grievance. He said others have been assigned to preferred positions in the past. If this is true he might have a case.

brown_trousers

Indeed but he can look to past practice as grounds for a grievance. He said others have been assigned to preferred positions in the past. If this is true he might have a case.

The BA tells me that past practice is a hard one to prove. We have lost a few cases recently when claiming past practice.