FedEx Announces Poor Sales

Manager Wants Buyout

The questions remain: How do they turn it around? How will it impact the employees? I reviewed Office pay ranges with my District Manager yesterday. Minimums and maximums were lowered. He thinks the buyouts will be sweeping through Services and Office.

Lordtekk

Turn it around ? They made money,more than most companies. They want more. My opinion we should have never bought RPS or Kinkos.

Lordtekk

Buying RPS will turn out to be the best move FedEx ever made.
I disagree,I started in 1988,you know what the rumor was back then ? That Express would offer Ground Service. We till this day can still handle everything Fedex Ground has without a hiccup. We are not why ? You and everyone else on this board knows why,so I will not even get into he details.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree,I started in 1988,you know what the rumor was back then ? That Express would offer Ground Service. We till this day can still handle everything Fedex Ground has without a hiccup. We are not why ? You and everyone else on this board knows why,so I will not even get into he details.

Express in it's current configuration could not handle the volume Ground delivers on a daily basis.

The Ground driver that I see the most during the day is on road no later than 8am and punches out at 7pm or later. He delivers about the same amount of packages that I do but picks up a lot more. He works at a steady pace throughout the day but at best he would be a lower-end UPS driver.

bbsam

Staff member
Without a hiccup? How the hell would you pull that off? I know the operation locally and couldn't even fathom how they would process the extra 9500 pieces per day let alone what vehicles they would load them in.

Manager Wants Buyout

They've made a fortune but they will take from you if it looks like they may lose a penny. As far as acquisitions, RPS may have been good, don't know. However, I work at Kinko's and I assure you that is a complete disaster. The company is coming apart at the seams and can't afford to pay anyone. The profit Express makes from each package picked up at a Kinko's is returned right back to Kinko's because it is so far in the red.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm getting a little disgusted with the other opco's not pulling their weight. If an opco can't make their goals, maybe it's time for them to transition to a model that does make it's goals. Not that I have any ulterior motives or anything...:happy-very:

vantexan

If you are saying we could fly all that Ground freight it would most likely take more planes, plus hire many more employees, and we'd have to charge much more than what Ground charges to make a profit. The public wants a cheap package delivery service for non-priority shipments and if Express handled it most of that freight would go to UPS. Except for the poor pay and no benefits Ground was fine as long as it was competing with UPS but now it's being used against Express to beef up profits. They should have just left Express alone even if, and here come the snarky comments, it meant less overall profit. More than that, I've said this before, if they were about to cut our hours and shift freight to Ground to greatly increase profits, then they should have left our pensions alone. The fact that they terminated our traditional pension knowing that they were going to greatly increase profits shifting freight to Ground shows that all the propaganda about being a people company is B.S.. They screwed us to enrich themselves.

Lordtekk

Without a hiccup? How the hell would you pull that off? I know the operation locally and couldn't even fathom how they would process the extra 9500 pieces per day let alone what vehicles they would load them in.
The hell would be,we cover less area then Ground Does the way UPS covers less area then Fedex does on routes,meaning it would add maybe 15-20 extra stops. As far as flying it,no way. We would have had the same Ground Network that is in place today. UPS does it,and Express could have done it,but the reason they did not, again we all know why. Profit and the Contractor Scam they have. No offense to the Ground guys but you are a little sensitive these days and act like you bought Express not the other way around.

bbsam

Staff member
The hell would be,we cover less area then Ground Does the way UPS covers less area then Fedex does on routes,meaning it would add maybe 15-20 extra stops. As far as flying it,no way. We would have had the same Ground Network that is in place today. UPS does it,and Express could have done it,but the reason they did not, again we all know why. Profit and the Contractor Scam they have. No offense to the Ground guys but you are a little sensitive these days and act like you bought Express not the other way around.
No, not sensitive. We're gloating. We didn't buy you, but we are going to profit off you.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We didn't buy you, but we are going to profit off you.
I like that WE bit. Just wait until Fred & Co. are done with Express and go looking for some fresh meat to throw under the bus. Could it be Ground contractors? Well.....good chance. All in good time.

Lordtekk

I like that WE bit. Just wait until Fred & Co. are done with Express and go looking for some fresh meat to throw under the bus. Could it be Ground contractors? Well.....good chance. All in good time.
They are under the assumption that they are untouchable,or they profit off of Express. Again we can swallow the whole Ground Network with out a burp. Let's not forget that the contractor scam is still working it's way in the Courts and not over yet. What happens if Fedex loses and Ground Contractors really are employees ? Who goes Ground Or Express ? Me thinks it will be Ground. Sad that when this happens I'll probably be a few years from retirement.

bbsam

Staff member
They are under the assumption that they are untouchable,or they profit off of Express. Again we can swallow the whole Ground Network with out a burp. Let's not forget that the contractor scam is still working it's way in the Courts and not over yet. What happens if Fedex loses and Ground Contractors really are employees ? Who goes Ground Or Express ? Me thinks it will be Ground. Sad that when this happens I'll probably be a few years from retirement.
LTekk I don't know where to begin. I think you should peruse the forums for a while. You have rehashed the same tired old blather from years gone by. The contractor model has made its way through courts, won some lost some. When they lose, they transition to the ISP model. Legally speaking, it is a model that can be tweaked to fit any regulatory environment. There has not been a single legal challenge that has resulted in fedex using company drivers for Ground and I doubt you will ever see such a scenario.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
LTekk I don't know where to begin. I think you should peruse the forums for a while. You have rehashed the same tired old blather from years gone by. The contractor model has made its way through courts, won some lost some. When they lose, they transition to the ISP model. Legally speaking, it is a model that can be tweaked to fit any regulatory environment. There has not been a single legal challenge that has resulted in fedex using company drivers for Ground and I doubt you will ever see such a scenario.

bbsam is correct...Ground is legal for the time being. That said, I think the point about Ground contractors eventually being thrown under the bus is an excellent one. We've dealt with Mr. Smith for a long time over here at Express, but the "relationship" is still pretty new with Ground. One of these days, Fred is going to decide that contractors are over-compensated, and will act accordingly so he can enrich himself. He's not to be trusted...ever.

You can count on this happening, bbsam. The honeymoon will soon be over, and then you'll be in the crosshairs. Let us know how it feels when Fred finds a more attractive "wife".

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam is correct...Ground is legal for the time being. That said, I think the point about Ground contractors eventually being thrown under the bus is an excellent one. We've dealt with Mr. Smith for a long time over here at Express, but the "relationship" is still pretty new with Ground. One of these days, Fred is going to decide that contractors are over-compensated, and will act accordingly so he can enrich himself. He's not to be trusted...ever.

You can count on this happening, bbsam. The honeymoon will soon be over, and then you'll be in the crosshairs. Let us know how it feels when Fred finds a more attractive "wife".

Let's just say I don't hold any Fedex stock. I have enough money invested with them on the Ground.