FedEx contractor or USPS CCA

Penguin1272

Hi I'm new here just saying hello

please help me!!

I have applied for a position at FedEx it is a contractor job I believe FedEx ground I'm not too sure. They want to hire me, I believe I will be getting paid per stop $1.25 - $150 a day. With no benefits or anything.

I also have an interview coming up with the postal service for a city carrier position. I have heard some horrible stories about this position. But here I will have benefits and I will be paid overtime. I am very confused as to which job I should lean towards . Advice please ?

bacha29

Friend: you answered your own question. "no benefits or anything". The thing to understand is that FXG isnot a true small package carrier. It's a hybrid. It steals a lot of motor freight off the LTL's. You wouldn't believe the kind of stuff you'll find on your truck. Truck bumpers, backhoe buckets, cement mixers. 150 lbs is suppossed to be the weight limit but it's cheated on flagrantly and more often than not you will be there all by yourself to get it unloaded and placed where they want it. The USPS is not going anywhere and is making in roads at cutting it's losses even though it is saddled with the task of funding pensions for mail carriers that haven't even been born yet. Go for the pension and benefits. Keep inmind that under the ACA the penalty for a family of 4 with no health insurance in 2016 will go for a minumum of $675 up $ 2075. Rest assured you'll be out there for probably at least 10 hours a day on the Ground/HD route. The choice is yours. Good luck.

dmac1

Post office, with medical, dental, retirement. As a fedex contractor, you don't even have a job tomorrow if that's what they want. With fedex, you will have to buy and maintain a vehicle, likely in your personal credit that you can't really use for much else. Post office doesn't care if you don't have a car, or ride a tricycle to work. After all expenses, you will net about $16 an hour and need to pay all your own taxes on that, and still have no real holidays or vacation time.

TheJerk

Porch Pirate
Post office. You'll be getting paid accordingly. Wage progression, Sick/Vacation time, Bennies. Plus they're increasing their parcel volume. GL

Penguin1272

Thanks everyone I went ahead with the post office interview. They are telling us that you must work 7 days a week that is pretty hectic won't have much of a personal life anymore.. Might turn down the offer, I don't really enjoy the idea of workin 7 days a week or will give it a try see how much I enjoy it. Pretty sure I got in tho just have to wait for a call back.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks everyone I went ahead with the post office interview. They are telling us that you must work 7 days a week that is pretty hectic won't have much of a personal life anymore.. Might turn down the offer, I don't really enjoy the idea of workin 7 days a week or will give it a try see how much I enjoy it. Pretty sure I got in tho just have to wait for a call back.
Verify that it is permanent with bennies. I know they also hire temp with no bennies.

dmac1

I think they are saying you need to be available 7 days a week. And you may actually work 7 days a week once in a while if they are short handed, and get paid at least time and a half for those hours.. They will not want to pay overtime for very long and I would guess that union rules would apply requiring that vacant positions be filled.

Artee

What the hell is with you kids now days? Why is your generation so afraid of work? All the young handlers at Express want to work as little as possible, so they can go home and sit on mommy and daddy's couch and get high. When I was a handler I worked every extra minute available, mandatory 6 days a week and volunteered to learn how to drive straight trucks, etc just make myself more valuable to soak up even more hours.

If you don't have a job its time for you to man up and go to work. No one at the post office works 7 days in a row, week in and week out. Get real. Buck up and if you have to work 6 day weeks so what? Put in your time, make some cash. Get a life. Get out of mom and dads house and drop the loser pot smoking friends. Stop listening to Bernie Sanders that everything is going to be given to you once the government steals the money from the rich. You need to learn to start supporting yourself and shying away from having a good work ethic is not a great start.

TheJerk

Porch Pirate
I doubt you'll be working 7 days. Overtime is going to kill them. I honestly think you're making a mistake. You'll regret working for ground. I believe they're implementing six day work weeks for HD. Since you're going to be paid per stop, its going to be worse for you. So much free labor(thousands of dollars worth), no sick days, no vacation, no rights.

if you prefer a $400 paycheck over a $1,200 then go to ground.

Penguin1272

I doubt you'll be working 7 days. Overtime is going to kill them. I honestly think you're making a mistake. You'll regret working for ground. I believe they're implementing six day work weeks for HD. Since you're going to be paid per stop, its going to be worse for you. So much free labor(thousands of dollars worth), no sick days, no vacation, no rights.

I'm gonna take it , just have to wait for the call back. There was about 50 other people in the room so hope I get lucky

Penguin1272

What the hell is with you kids now days? Why is your generation so afraid of work? All the young handlers at Express want to work as little as possible, so they can go home and sit on mommy and daddy's couch and get high. When I was a handler I worked every extra minute available, mandatory 6 days a week and volunteered to learn how to drive straight trucks, etc just make myself more valuable to soak up even more hours.

If you don't have a job its time for you to man up and go to work. No one at the post office works 7 days in a row, week in and week out. Get real. Buck up and if you have to work 6 day weeks so what? Put in your time, make some cash. Get a life. Get out of mom and dads house and drop the loser pot smoking friends. Stop listening to Bernie Sanders that everything is going to be given to you once the government steals the money from the rich. You need to learn to start supporting yourself and shying away from having a good work ethic is not a great start.

Thanks for your positive feed back this actually encouraged me to take this job. And I don't live with my parents not nice to judge like that lol. I already work 6 days a week 55 hour job. So I know what work is and being outside late in the afternoon is. Sometimes it's nice to be have some free time for yourself. Thanks tho definitely made me want to go for it

FedGT

That is not accurate. If you are going to give someone information don't give that type of information. Ground will go 6 day work weeks at some point but drivers will not be working 6 days a week. Also $400 paycheck to $1200 is absurd on both ends of that spectrum.
Only you can decide where to go. Unlike others here I do not believe usps is a guaranteed sure thing but between the two if you can handle the early years it may be a better way to go.
If you choose Ground, be the best. That is the only way to make decent money if you are working for a good contractor, you may even get to be a manger for a contractor if you are good enough. Most ground drivers use this as a stepping not much else.

TheJerk

Porch Pirate
Last I heard usps tops out at 30/hr. My math must be off. Alright, let me correct it, if you're lucky to get 700 stops a week you'll make $700. you know, getting paid $1 per stop. Stops fluctuate, so you'll never know what you're making at ground.

It will be fine

Last I heard usps tops out at 30/hr. My math must be off. Alright, let me correct it, if you're lucky to get 700 stops a week you'll make $700. you know, getting paid $1 per stop. Stops fluctuate, so you'll never know what you're making at ground.
I don't have any drivers that make that little.

FedGT

Tops out (long time) versus $400 a week, you don't think that is apples and oranges situation. I have never seen a ground driver full time make $400. Then you say he will make $1 per stop shorting his original post by almost 25%. By his math they are anticipating 120 stops per day which would put him at $750 per week not $400.
I could say that a lot of people make garbage money if I drop virtually 25% off of their salary.

MAKAVELI

Tops out (long time) versus $400 a week, you don't think that is apples and oranges situation. I have never seen a ground driver full time make $400. Then you say he will make $1 per stop shorting his original post by almost 25%. By his math they are anticipating 120 stops per day which would put him at $750 per week not $400.
I could say that a lot of people make garbage money if I drop virtually 25% off of their salary.
$750 before taxes is still garbage $.;)