"FedEx Delivers", By Madan Birla

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I picked this book up at a used book store for a dollar, and it's chock-full of praise for the mutual admiration culture in Memphis. But, here's a quote some of you might find interesting, and I happen to agree with it. "True, Fred S had the original business idea, but it was the creativity and commitment of the employees that turned it into a successful business. The employees of FedEx have designed and delivered unique customer value propositions (what customers value) that have kept FedEx one step ahead of the competition".

Birla was a long-time high level management employee who started at FedEx in 1979, and has since retired.

Seeing as most employees no longer have commitment and know that their creative ideas are ignored, where does this put Birla's statement today? (The book was written in 2005).

To me, it says Fred has forgotten what made his business a success.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fred couldn't have done it without us and how he went from employee favorite to hated villain speaks volumes.

vantexan

I picked this book up at a used book store for a dollar, and it's chock-full of praise for the mutual admiration culture in Memphis. But, here's a quote some of you might find interesting, and I happen to agree with it. "True, Fred S had the original business idea, but it was the creativity and commitment of the employees that turned it into a successful business. The employees of FedEx have designed and delivered unique customer value propositions (what customers value) that have kept FedEx one step ahead of the competition".

Birla was a long-time high level management employee who started at FedEx in 1979, and has since retired.

Seeing as most employees no longer have commitment and know that their creative ideas are ignored, where does this put Birla's statement today? (The book was written in 2005).

You sure Birla wasn't talking about management and other professionals in the hierarchy? They're employees too and most couriers are seen as interchangeable widgets.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You sure Birla wasn't talking about management and other professionals in the hierarchy? They're employees too and most couriers are seen as interchangeable widgets.

Birla went to great pains to explain that this applied to all levels of the organization. One of his favorite things to do was to ride with couriers wherever he went, which was basically all over the world.

vantexan

Birla went to great pains to explain that this applied to all levels of the organization. One of his favorite things to do was to ride with couriers wherever he went, which was basically all over the world.

Maybe he retired because he saw the direction the company was going.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It's a shame because that is the culture I remember in my early years at Fedex.
Creativity and employees were valued.
Now fedex has a very poisonous atmosphere of destruction.
It's just survival of the fitest and no one does anything to help anyone else out.
Just a plain cut throat environment.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

This sounds awful similar to the musings of Jim Casey, the founder of UPS, who is likely turning over in his grave at what the current board of directors and shareholders are doing to his company.

Both FedEx and UPS are service-oriented companies whose employees are being wrung dry for every red cent by Wall Street thugs and white collar criminals; the only difference being that one has representation and the other doesn't.

Goldilocks

Yes he has.... Failed leadership....

RTURNSONLY

MFE, I think it's time for you to start writing an updated version. I guarantee you, you'll get plenty of fee-free collaborators from this site.