FedEx delivers half as many packages with only 1/5 of the truck fleet?

Rob1

FedEx_vs_UPS_infographic_PackageFox_2011.jpg

16 million packages vs. 7 million

100,000 vehicles vs. 22,000 vehicles

somethings not adding up!?

vantexan

Probably because fedex doesn't own the ground vehicles. Maybe they aren't added in to the equation?

Those numbers are misleading as it only mentions FedEx GROUND vehicles, not Express vehicles. In total vehicles FedEx has the world's largest fleet. But they are right, FedEx is the biggest overnight air freight service, UPS is biggest ground freight, or trucked, service.

STFXG

I read it as vehicles on the ground. In other words, fedex corps vehicles they own (express vehicle fleet). Not vehicles used by the FedEx ground opco.

Either way the numbers really don't make sense.

vantexan

I read it as vehicles on the ground. In other words, fedex corps vehicles they own (express vehicle fleet). Not vehicles used by the FedEx ground opco.

Either way the numbers really don't make sense.

Express has over 70,000 couriers just in the States last I heard. Really think we're making do with 22,000 vehicles? FedEx has the world's largest vehicle fleet.

Last edited:

STFXG

That's why I said the numbers don't make sense. That's just how I read it. Maybe it's just tractor trailers? 22000 seems very low for ground. But I could be wrong...

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I think that data is very old.
Look at how many electric vehicles it shows X having, we've got waaaaaaaaay more than 19.
Heck, there's about 10 at a sta. near me.

Brokedownandbrown

As of May 31, 2012, this segment operated approximately 58,000 vehicles and trailers from a network of 366 service centers. Fed-EX

It operates a fleet of approximately 101,000 package cars, vans, tractors, and motorcycles; UPS

A little misleading in advertising.