FedEx Dispatchers

fredxx

i can tell you it's TOP in hourly wages for all hourly positions...depends what your market level is though...top pay in SF Bay Area clse to $36 hr...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Pros/Cons of FedEx Express dispatch position? I’m wondering what the pay scale is. Full time.
If it’s anything like my district, reports, reports and more reports, kind of like being an Ops Mgr. Little to no support from station management.

AC in the summer. Heat in the winter.

fredxx

it's now an interview position so they'll(usually) hire within before someone who isn't a dispatcher alrdy..also you may be required to type a minimum of 35-40 words per minute...count me out..

outtatime

It's a very sedentary job and looking at a computer all day in a darkened room. Very easy to put on some extra weight if you don't work out normally.

pay in the Midwest tops out around 30.00 an hour. yes it is a interview position and no typing 35-40 wpm is not a requirement. it helps if you have csa experience so you already know most of the programs. there is a week long class with a open book test at the end that is a must pass or you get shipped back to your old position if its still there. all in all it beats being out in the weather. there will be lots of openings coming as far as I can tell as most dispatchers have 30+ years of service and will be starting to retire at a pretty good clip in my opinion and yes I am a dispatcher

SmithBarney

I think the Dispatch position has been eliminated, as most of the time, you cannot get a human response, or at least a response that seems like a human...
1200-1300 RESI PUP with note that says OSD(outside door) can we move the close time... nope sorry..
or the 1200CLO on a retail business that's open til 2000 everyday.. nope can't change it...
Send in a bad address reply "address is good, reatt required" Look I wouldn't have sent a bad address if it was good, and if it was a locating issue, I would have specified...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Our dispatchers keep trying to get me to do their job. They’re constantly sending me PUPs that aren’t mine. When I tell them so, they ask, Whose is it? My answer is always, idk.

They ARE great about changing my close times for me though. :)

Last edited:

vantexan

On the very rural route I was on in AZ there were some folks who lived about 23 miles up a road that wasn't much more than a rocky goat path the last 10 miles. The previous courier did it once and it took her 5 hours roundtrip. They told her they had never had anyone come up it before, kind of shocked. So when I got one for them that previous courier told me no way, too risky. I was going to be out past 2200 already, heavy day. Doing it would've put me out until 3 a.m.! Dispatcher insisted I do it anyways and had a text battle for half an hour until they got management involved. Mgr agreed with me. Ended up leaving in an abandoned car about a third of way up that UPS used after recipient contacted us several days later. Previous courier was POed to find she could've used that car.

dezguy

My dispatcher wouldn't change a close time if the station was on fire and people were running down the street naked.

I had a stop the other day where we were delayed getting out of the building by almost an hour. Pup closing in under 10 min, stop is at least a 25 min drive. "Nope, close is xxxx."

Whatever, man. Service failure doesn't go against me, I'm not arguing with you.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Dispatchers at our station are NOT allowed to use the phone to contact customers. It's been my contention that they never miss the opportunity to lie about contacting ANYBODY. Caught them in too many.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Never got a rational explanation, just something mumbled about non-productive work.
Loved it when they would demand a re-attempt, per your manager, when I was on the phone with my manager, who had no clue what they were talking about.
I’ve been wondering if my dispatches actually call customers when changing a close time but figure I don’t really need to know.