FedEx Express vs UPS Driver Training?

Boogie.bullfrog

Hey guys, how does FedEx Express driver training compare to UPS driver training?

I have read FedEx Express has a week of classroom & computer work, defensive driving, behind the wheel work, ride alongs then a week of driving, while UPS has two weeks of Integrad training and driving tests, then two weeks of driving.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
the training at the start of your employment is a basic overview of the job. you will learn 96% of what you need to know from other couriers, experiencing it yourself, or getting yelled at by mgmt.

Serf

Hey guys, how does FedEx Express driver training compare to UPS driver training?

I have read FedEx Express has a week of classroom & computer work, defensive driving, behind the wheel work, ride alongs then a week of driving, while UPS has two weeks of Integrad training and driving tests, then two weeks of driving.
As of 3 years ago I knew exactly what you said to be true. Don’t know if it’s that way still.

chris45

Express is 2 days of defensive driving, then they throw you out blind because you can drive now, then eventually you go to some class for like 3 days and don't really learn anything

chris45

when I got back in tonight I was handed a 4 year safe driving button and my manager told me I have to go to the defensive driving class next week, because I had an accident at a different station over 4 years ago 😭😭 this is absolutely absurd but I can tell ya how the defensive driving class is if this is actually happening 😭😭

MassWineGuy

As a seasonal UPS driver I had one week of classroom and on the road training. Intense and useful. At FedEx I had 2 1/2 days of Smith System training where I learned a lot. UPS stole many parts of that system, such as the All Good Kids Love Milk guidelines.

Even one day into training, I noticed every bad driver near me. Which, in Massachusetts, is most drivers.

falcon back

As a seasonal UPS driver I had one week of classroom and on the road training. Intense and useful. At FedEx I had 2 1/2 days of Smith System training where I learned a lot. UPS stole many parts of that system, such as the All Good Kids Love Milk guidelines.

Even one day into training, I noticed every bad driver near me. Which, in Massachusetts, is most drivers.
UPS as well as FDX and plenty of other large companies pays Smith System to use that space driven technique in their classes.