FedEx Freight City Driver vs UPS Feeder Driver

The Duke

Currently now, I'm a city driver with FedEx Freight at the top rate of $24.93 an hour. I have an application in with UPS for a friend/t Feeder Driver position. They top out at $37.60 an hour in 4yrs. I was a UPS seasonal feeder driver during the Christmas season, so I'm very familiar with what the job entails. Just curious as to what everyone feels about the 2 positions, good & bad.

Brown Now

24/6 hours at my bldg. Benefits? You're in Feeder. The top of the food chain. It doesn't get any better.
X2.

My hub is loaded with Express and Freight drivers. You really are at the top of the food chain. Caddilac insurance at no cost to you(it includes your family too,not just you) Excellent pension,clearly defined Union work rules and great equipment.

I would run if I were you and start tomorrow if they'd let you. Good luck.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Currently now, I'm a city driver with FedEx Freight at the top rate of $24.93 an hour. I have an application in with UPS for a friend/t Feeder Driver position. They top out at $37.60 an hour in 4yrs. I was a UPS seasonal feeder driver during the Christmas season, so I'm very familiar with what the job entails. Just curious as to what everyone feels about the 2 positions, good & bad.

Get a 3 day sleeper run.

Brown Now

First one starts about 2000 on Sunday and the last one goes out at around 0200 I believe on Saturday morning. Start times around the clock between those. Majority of it is all M-friend.

Brown Now

Going from P&D to a feeder position at UPS doesn't happen often. Jump on it if you can. This hiring blitz they're on is very rare. Long run it'll be well wot hit to you. Don't look at a year from now. Look at 10,20 years from now. You want to be here. Try to make it happen.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's hard to give you an accurate count for hours since everywhere is different. Here at HARPA our drivers run 24/7. More than likely you would be working overnights since you would be at the bottom of the list. We have 211 feeder drivers in our building and a friend of mine is #208. His last bid was days but his current bid is nights. You never know here.

P

pickup

Original Poster: you worked there during Christmas Peak, you saw the job board. What you saw is what you get. You'll start on the spare list and you get to throw down a bunch of picks for what jobs you want. Since you will be the bottom for awhile , you will end up with what no one else wants, which isn't necessarily bad. What might seem good to you: hours, type of job(shifting, cpu, road work(well, that is hard to get) ), might not be good for others.

And when the casuals come in, they are on the spare list also and you beat them out on picks for the jobs that are created to accommodate their arrivals. Back to normal by January. Also, you don't have to remain on the spare list, you can bid for a permanent job and you will win it if no one senior to you bids it. Don't be discouraged by that last fact. I have seen a bottom of the seniority list feeder driver successfully bid a permanent 9:20 am start time tuesday to saturday job.

P

pickup

Oh yeah, you have union protections at UPS. At Fed-ex , you are an at-will hire. Need I say more? This is a no brainer.

P

pickup

If you are interested in 4 pm start times shifting in the yard and you are in a big hub, you can get that sort of job easily