Fedex Freight Job?

gdog1

First a little background on me...I have my Class A with Doubles/Triples, (and studying for Hazmat as we speak), but I only have 3 months experience driving semi's before a family illness caused me to have to quit. I have been out of the truck for 7 1/2 months but now I'm ready to try to get back into it. The Fedex Freight where I live is hiring for part-time dock worker and I was wondering if that would be a good way to get my foot in the door at Fedex Freight and maybe turn it into a truck driving job??? Is Fedex Freight like UPS in the fact that it takes years to get a driving job? I'm 40 years old and really don't have 10-15 years to wait to get a full time gig. Any advice??? Thanks

dezguy

First a little background on me...I have my Class A with Doubles/Triples, (and studying for Hazmat as we speak), but I only have 3 months experience driving semi's before a family illness caused me to have to quit. I have been out of the truck for 7 1/2 months but now I'm ready to try to get back into it. The Fedex Freight where I live is hiring for part-time dock worker and I was wondering if that would be a good way to get my foot in the door at Fedex Freight and maybe turn it into a truck driving job??? Is Fedex Freight like UPS in the fact that it takes years to get a driving job? I'm 40 years old and really don't have 10-15 years to wait to get a full time gig. Any advice??? Thanks

I don't know if Freight is like Express but we have guys at our station who have been part time for close to 10 years now. FedEx loves a part time workforce.

DRAisawesome

Doesn't hurt to apply and figure it out if you get the job. Do not leave anywhere for FedEx. While at FedEx continue to look for employment. Just a little insider hint. I'm an Express driver though. What I do know is that Freight drivers top out after 3 years.

White Line

I realize this post is old but I thought I would throw in my two cents in anyway, yes any job you can get with a LTL carrier is the way to go, even if you have to take the part time dock job just to get in the door which I hope you did, I came from the LTL community before I got this dumb idea to own my own truck, which while it does have some perks, if I were to do it all over again I would have stayed in LTL as a company driver, hopefully with you having your license already they will fast track you to yard hostler or something, your main disadvantage is that you only have 3 months of driving experience, most the LTLs want one or even two years experience and some even want that as actual real world doubles experience, not just what is printed on your CDL, don't limit yourself to one carrier either, Old Dominion, Conway, ABF, YRC, UPS Freight, the USF companies (YRC owned) and others are worth checking out too and are pretty much on par as far as pay and benefits give or take, and no it shouldn't take 5 to 10 years to get a driving job in LTL like it does at UPS Parcel, that's a whole different situation, now if and when you do go full time be prepared to work the floater board if you are in P&D which means late afternoon starts and mainly doing pick ups, if you go line haul, you will most likely be placed on the extra board, all new guys generally go to the extra board, that means covering different runs and possibly going out of town two to three days out of the week, but don't worry they will give you per diem for food and pay your hotel room for any lay overs, best of luck to you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Having your Class A and endorsements is a big plus, but you have almost no experience. A dock job would help you get a foot in the door, but they're very unlikely to let you drive with that level of experience...at least for now.