fedex full time vs ups feeder

fexexups

I am a risk taker so posting here risking all the snarky comments i expect to get but my time is up. I am supposed to start work today with Fedex ground package handler full time. I chose fedex bc it pays 13.50 starting out and it is full time. I have since been told by someone working at ups that feeders make 27 an hour and he almost guarantees I can become a feeder driver by the first of the year. I thought this was too good to be true so I asked several others that worked for ups including HR. HR states feeders are running about 6 months to 1 year.

Here is the delima. I am female 50 years old. Im not the old fat 50 year old granny type, I can hold my own or I wouldnt be interested in this job. i actually intereviewed with ups several weeks back and was hired but I just needed to tell the guy which shift I wanted and i could start. Midnight and preload pay $14 until the first of the year. Day shift is 10. I struggled with the pay and pt so I waited a few weeks before deciding to go with fulltime at fedex for more money. Now I hear about the feeder position. I called HR guy at ups to talk about it and found out he is no longer with the company What?? he had been there 8 years or so. I wonder if its bc he asks out the people he is interviewing. He is young and he asked me out on my interview. I told him I probably have a son his age. lol Anyway I find out I have to reinterview with ups bc he is no longer there and I cant start for another week.

The guy who works for ups for 28 years and is in feeders and thinks I can be drving by the first of the year says the hardest part about the job is deciding what to have for lunch. I can drive a stick shift and not afraid of big trucks except when it comes to turning left or right or backing up. lol

So ok all you snarkaroos have at it. Should I just stick with full time and fedex and eventualy top out at about 17 be close to home or take a chance on being able to do feeder. For some reason it just feels feeder at 27 is just too good to be true and then what if i cant handle it. Working for 10/hr part time does not sound fun. WHat do the shifters at ups make? I forgot what my friend told me. At Fedex shifters make the same as anyone else. Does fedex hire feeder drivers or are they all contractors? Ok no more questions for now. Thank you everybody. Im supposed to start fedex at 230 and I also have an interview with ups at 230 so its decision time.

fexexups

Starting pay for new full time employees is 18.75 according to the contract. Whoever your friend is doesn’t know what he is talking about[/QUO

Really? Coming straight out of 10/hr for package handler to full time feeder is not 27/hr? It sounds too good to be true but guy swears by it. thats why I am asking on here. I trust the guy who told me this bc he is bf's brother in law and is even got his son going to do it. Son is 20 so he has to wait a year before going to feeder.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Nope you have to go through full time progression. Article 41 section 2 of the contract.
Screenshot_2016-08-10-13-39-53.png

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You will work pt at ups for a long time , you only get right into feeders you get hired as a temp ,,, that's 26 an hour , temps rarely get hired off the street ! Do you have a CDL ?

fexexups

I shpuld have asked HR when they called to set uup an interview but I dont want them t think im only in it for the money. But isnt everybody? Like I said im 50 yeat
You will work pt at ups for a long time , you only get right into feeders you get hired as a temp ,,, that's 26 an hour , temps rarely get hired off the street ! Do you have a CDL ?

No cdl. I asked friend about that bc of his son. Should his son go to school and get cdl so when he turns 21 he would be ready.. He said no bc you have to pay for your fuel and other stuff where if you just let ups train you it is all free. But no I do not have a cdl never dreamed of driving a rig (not saying I cant do it) until he talked to me about getting into feeders. I am too old to work for part time for $10/hr and wait for a career. Ive owned my own business and do not want to go back to that. And Im too old to be a package handler forever also.

fexexups

I highly doubt ups would hire a 50 year old. They are currently trying to fire everyone over 40.

Well they did. Maybe they think I wont last. I am also hired at fedex full time 30-35 hours a week and im still 50. Supposed to start today. Im not a fat slob thats been sitting on the couch all my life. i am in decent shape, I sure that helped. I need the money right now so i really want to go to fedex but if it is possible to be driving for ups soon, i dont want to lose out on that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Well they did. Maybe they think I wont last. I am also hired at fedex full time 30-35 hours a week and im still 50. Supposed to start today. Im not a fat slob thats been sitting on the couch all my life. i am in decent shape, I sure that helped. I need the money right now so i really want to go to fedex but if it is possible to be driving for ups soon, i dont want to lose out on that.
There are no guarantees. It's a gamble you have to decide if you're willing to take.

fexexups

I highly doubt ups would hire a 50 year old. They are currently trying to fire everyone over 40.

Maybe thats another valid point. Am i too old? If everything is based on senoriity then they dont have a choice right? I can see where they would rather invest time into training a young person that can give them many years vs a 50 year old that may not last 10.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'll be flat out honest with you ,, UPS goes mainly by seniority . You start at the bottom as pack handler , up to parcel driver then on to feeders with id say on average a 15 to 20 yr wait to feeders ! How ever in some cases when there is a need for feeder driver they take who ever has a CDL in their pocket already , that person can jump over senior people if they are qualified !! A temp feeder driver is hired off the street only if there is a need and full time employees don't want it !!
The deck is stacked against you at this age , I would go to fedex

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I know Whites Creek took quite a few part timers into feeders that were fresh off the street. My feeder class had two part-time guys with under 6 months at UPS so it can happen.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@fexexups , you started out by saying you're a risk taker. I say take the risk with UPS or forget about the package shipping industry altogether. I will say if it's a case of working part time for 6 months first, I suggest you do get CDL training on your own. If a full time UPS delivery driver doesn't make it through the training/qualification period, she still has her high paying delivery job to fall back on. And around here, many long time delivery drivers tried the "free company training", and decided to go back to delivering packages.