Fedex Ground 2nd van driver Question

kickpackage1

2 co workers were fired because they had both gotten a dui now how can fedex have the contractor fire these 2 individuals when they do not even work for Fedex Ground they work for the contractor ,the contractor did not fire them Fedex Management told the Contractor these 2 had to be let go also why is it that 2nd van drivers have to follow Fedex ground rules for instance if you get caught texting you are suspended , you get get caught speeding you get suspended basically any type of traffic violation you get suspended and this also includes any violation on your own personal time. 2nd van drivers are not contractors of fedex Ground nor are they even close to being a employee of Fedex at all so how can Fedex control this? Also when things change to the ISP model do these same rules apply? The last time I checked the signature of Fedex is not even on these company checks that are provided to the employee by the Contractor. So what happens to a Fedex Express driver when these same incidents happen to them?

bbsam

Staff member
Schedule I.

Basically the contractor has agreed (contractually) to the standards set by Ground.

STFXG

Fedex doesn't force the contractor to fire anyone. Anyone who gets those arrests/violations can be disqualified from providing services for FedEx Ground. The contractor can then find other work for the driver... just not for FedEx Ground.
All the information for what will get a driver disqualified from driving should be in the employee's handbook.

kickpackage1

Fedex doesn't force the contractor to fire anyone. Anyone who gets those arrests/violations can be disqualified from providing services for FedEx Ground. The contractor can then find other work for the driver... just not for FedEx Ground.
All the information for what will get a driver disqualified from driving should be in the employee's handbook.
Well in this situation Fedex management did tell the contractor his drivers have to be let go and that is a fact ,fedex can say whatever they want in a handbook but do they follow it and since when has fedex ever followed their own rules they put into place bottom line is fedex does not play fair on their play ground

bbsam

Staff member
I had a driver who lost his license for 3 months. Paid someone to drive him around rather than fire him because he's more than worth it.

STFXG

Well in this situation Fedex management did tell the contractor his drivers have to be let go and that is a fact ,fedex can say whatever they want in a handbook but do they follow it and since when has fedex ever followed their own rules they put into place bottom line is fedex does not play fair on their play ground
The handbook should've been given to the driver by whatever IC/ISP they work for, not by FedEx. The purpose would be to state the reasons a driver can be terminated. DUI should be a given in this profession (unless you drive for UPS).

Were you in the meeting when FedEx told the owner they "have to let go" of an employee?

It will be fine

Your coworkers should be fired. They drive for a living and got DUI's. Doesn't matter what company they work for, if they demonstrate that level of recklessness behind the wheel they shouldn't be driving a truck.

kickpackage1

Your coworkers should be fired. They drive for a living and got DUI's. Doesn't matter what company they work for, if they demonstrate that level of recklessness behind the wheel they shouldn't be driving a truck.
I understand your point but that is not what I am getting at I am getting at how can Fedex make the call , Fedex has no right to fire any 2nd van driver period no matter what the 2nd van driver has done so that would make the 2nd van driver a employee of Fedex no matter what the contractor agrees to .

It will be fine

FedEx has every right to ensure that the people performing services for them are not a danger to the community. A FedEx truck and uniform grant you access behind all sorts of security, from government buildings to private company property. FedEx has the right to attempt to prevent criminals from entering schools and other customers fedex services. They don't have the right to fire contractor's employees. Those contractors could have kept them on the payroll, they just can't provide service for FedEx. If the contractor did moving jobs on the weekend and wanted those drivers to work there they could. FedEx didn't fire them the contractor did. My drivers get a list of infractions that would get them disqualified from FedEx, they are told that a disqualification will result in their termination. It's pretty simple.

vantexan

FedEx has every right to ensure that the people performing services for them are not a danger to the community. A FedEx truck and uniform grant you access behind all sorts of security, from government buildings to private company property. FedEx has the right to attempt to prevent criminals from entering schools and other customers fedex services. They don't have the right to fire contractor's employees. Those contractors could have kept them on the payroll, they just can't provide service for FedEx. If the contractor did moving jobs on the weekend and wanted those drivers to work there they could. FedEx didn't fire them the contractor did. My drivers get a list of infractions that would get them disqualified from FedEx, they are told that a disqualification will result in their termination. It's pretty simple.
It's a catch-22. FedEx can't make contractors fire them. But since Ground contractors exclusively deal with FedEx, getting disqualified means the contractor has no further need for their services. Yep, they're independent!

STFXG

It's a catch-22. FedEx can't make contractors fire them. But since Ground contractors exclusively deal with FedEx, getting disqualified means the contractor has no further need for their services. Yep, they're independent!
Some choose not to work exclusively for FedEx. I know one company that also runs reefer trucks. Another that does same day delivery service in a metro area. Another that does "hot shot" runs. Just a few examples of business that those companies are doing outside of service for FedEx Ground.

vantexan

Some choose not to work exclusively for FedEx. I know one company that also runs reefer trucks. Another that does same day delivery service in a metro area. Another that does "hot shot" runs. Just a few examples of business that those companies are doing outside of service for FedEx Ground.
Curious as to what percentage of contractors are doing such?

STFXG

About half of the contractors in my building have outside businesses. Transportation, construction, real estate, one owns a couple chain restaurants. The other half strictly run for FedEx.

STFXG

Generally they have other corporations. The ones I listed at first that are in transportation run those corporations for FedEx and their outside business.

When we bid on contracts in the RFI (request for information) process there's a question about how much of the companies business is done with FedEx.

bbsam

Staff member
It's not impossible. I've considered it but prefer to spend my time volunteering at the soccer fields for now.

kickpackage1

Generally they have other corporations. The ones I listed at first that are in transportation run those corporations for FedEx and their outside business.

When we bid on contracts in the RFI (request for information) process there's a question about how much of the companies business is done with FedEx.
Very informative thanks for all your help. But I still do believe that Fedex Ground is a SCAM and butts in way to much and has absolutely no respect for Ground Contractors or 2nd van drivers .

gixxer squid

Interesting subject: We had a similar thing happen to us over the summer.

Customer made a complaint about a driver. It was a fishy story from get go. We made some changes and took the stop off the route but the customer still complained because he bypassed the stop. I deal with the drivers, not the upper management as I don't put up with :censored2:. Significant other deals with front office politics.

We have a handbook for all employees outlining grounds for termination once they are hired. Unfounded complaints continued, everything was hearsay and no evidence was provided for us to terminate. Fedex security requested a meeting with the driver.

Ding Ding Ding. I was and still am pissed. Driver is on MY payroll, not fedex's. If they have a problem with my driver, they come to me, NOT my driver. I employ him and pay his salary. What right do they have to question my driver. Needless to say, my political significant other and manager sent him (driver) to the lions den without my knowledge, alone, by himself, neither of them went to meeting with fedex management.

Needless to say, they straight lied to him (driver) saying they had evidence for a supposed infraction. which they DID NOT. In any event, the infraction in question if it indeed happened, maybe would have resulted in a 3 day suspension without pay(outlined in our employee handbook) although a slap on the hand was really what was warranted if indeed what they said happened truly happened.

My take is this. He is MY :censored2: employee, I deal with him according to my handbook. I would have told :censored2:ex that if they had a problem, they deal with me, I am the drivers go between, their lifeline so to speak. Driver walked out after meeting and quit. Not necessarily because he was guilty of a minor infraction but because he was bullied into it.

I was extremely concerned that we, our corporation, was going to get served with a wrongful termination suit. Honestly, had the ex employee had any common sense what so ever, he would have filed suit and honestly won against us. This is the beauty of friend ex. They wash their hands and make it our problem

kickpackage1

Interesting subject: We had a similar thing happen to us over the summer.

Customer made a complaint about a driver. It was a fishy story from get go. We made some changes and took the stop off the route but the customer still complained because he bypassed the stop. I deal with the drivers, not the upper management as I don't put up with :censored2:. Significant other deals with front office politics.

We have a handbook for all employees outlining grounds for termination once they are hired. Unfounded complaints continued, everything was hearsay and no evidence was provided for us to terminate. Fedex security requested a meeting with the driver.

Ding Ding Ding. I was and still am :censored2:. Driver is on MY payroll, not fedex's. If they have a problem with my driver, they come to me, NOT my driver. I employ him and pay his salary. What right do they have to question my driver. Needless to say, my political significant other and manager sent him (driver) to the lions den without my knowledge, alone, by himself, neither of them went to meeting with fedex management.

Needless to say, they straight lied to him (driver) saying they had evidence for a supposed infraction. which they DID NOT. In any event, the infraction in question if it indeed happened, maybe would have resulted in a 3 day suspension without pay(outlined in our employee handbook) although a slap on the hand was really what was warranted if indeed what they said happened truly happened.

My take is this. He is MY :censored2: employee, I deal with him according to my handbook. I would have told :censored2:ex that if they had a problem, they deal with me, I am the drivers go between, their lifeline so to speak. Driver walked out after meeting and quit. Not necessarily because he was guilty of a minor infraction but because he was bullied into it.

I was extremely concerned that we, our corporation, was going to get served with a wrongful termination suit. Honestly, had the ex employee had any common sense what so ever, he would have filed suit and honestly won against us. This is the beauty of friend ex. They wash their hands and make it our problem
Finally someone that gets what I am talking about fedex shouldn't have any right at all to tell you who you can hire and fire , bottom line it is your truck and your business the 2nd van driver works for you not FedEx period the handbook should have the rules of your company and the way you want your driver to follow not FedEx .. The FedEx Dictator Handbook...