Fedex Ground A.O. drug test

Hello,

I'm hoping to reach out to some experienced Fedex contractors for some help with a potential problem. I currently am an A.O./owner of a dozen Fedex routes and am a qualified driver. Recently on vacation (while out of the country) I smoked some marijuana with some friends which I haven't done for years. 6 weeks later at the terminal I was randomly drug tested since I'm on the list of random drug tests for DOT. I think the chance of me failing is low but thought I'd see what everyones thoughts were on what would happen if I failed the test.

I obviously passed the initial drug test to qualify and have never failed one previously. Another contractor who is a friend of mine said he thought the worst case scenario would be that they make me inactive to drive (which I would expect at a minimum) but hopefully not disqualify me. He said they cannot take your routes from you which I hope is true. I'm on good standings with the terminal manager and all management and our company has a great reputation for outstanding service. I also know Fedex is capable of doing drastic things but thought it might help my situation.

So here are my questions:

1. Can they take routes away from an existing A.O. for failing a drug test?
2. Would they potentially ban me from the terminal? (I've heard of other A.O.'s getting in trouble for breaking other types of rules and they had to run their business from outside)
3. Do you think they will disqualify me? If so, for how long?
4. Do you think they would make me an inactive driver?
5. What do you think they would do?
6. Since I live in a state that marijuana is legal in would they treat this similar to a DUI?
7. What would happen if an A.O. got a DUI? Just curious...

I have already learned my lesson from this experience and would appreciate if anyone is tempted to make any comments about my stupidity or lack of responsiblilty to please keep them to yourself.

Thank you in advance for your opinion!

FedGT

1. Highly doubt it. But FedEx beats to their own drum so anything is possible.
2.highly doubt it
3.absolutely, length I don’t remember, I thought it was life but at minimum I would assume 3 years
4. Review #3
5. Review #3
6. Doesn’t matter what state you are in, national policy.
7. DQ between 3 and 5.

This is all based off info I remember from a couple years ago so it may be a little off or complete new addendums by now. Unless you were tested today they would have let you know by now. 6 weeks later it won’t be in your system.

Last edited:

It will be fine

A failed drug test is a DQ for life. You get dropped from the system of drivers and aren’t allowed on site. You contract would get pulled when the term expires.

bacha29

Hello,

I'm hoping to reach out to some experienced Fedex contractors for some help with a potential problem. I currently am an A.O./owner of a dozen Fedex routes and am a qualified driver. Recently on vacation (while out of the country) I smoked some marijuana with some friends which I haven't done for years. 6 weeks later at the terminal I was randomly drug tested since I'm on the list of random drug tests for DOT. I think the chance of me failing is low but thought I'd see what everyones thoughts were on what would happen if I failed the test.

I obviously passed the initial drug test to qualify and have never failed one previously. Another contractor who is a friend of mine said he thought the worst case scenario would be that they make me inactive to drive (which I would expect at a minimum) but hopefully not disqualify me. He said they cannot take your routes from you which I hope is true. I'm on good standings with the terminal manager and all management and our company has a great reputation for outstanding service. I also know Fedex is capable of doing drastic things but thought it might help my situation.

2. Would they potentially ban me from the terminal? (I've heard of other A.O.'s getting in trouble for breaking other types of rules and they had to run their business from outside)
6. Since I live in a state that marijuana is legal in would they treat this similar to a DUI?

I have already learned my lesson from this experience and would appreciate if anyone is tempted to make any comments about my stupidity or lack of responsiblilty to please keep them to yourself.

Pretty costly buzz. Remember you are a so called "independent contractor" which means that they can do anything they want to you and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.
The problem is people get those XG routes wrongly believing that they're set for life only to discover that it's a pretty high risk environment and all power rests with the company.
IWBF is right. If there are consequences for one of your drivers if they fail a drug test why should there not be consequences for the contractors?
Time to start looking for a buyer is now even though you might end having to take whatever you can get for your contract......Costliest joint you ever smoked.

vantexan

Hello,

Everything I've ever been told is that pot stays in your system for about 30 days. Also depends on what kind of test administered. If a swab in your mouth and it's been 6 weeks then highly likely you passed. Just chalk it up to experience and think next time. You have too much invested to risk it like this. And I just read your last few sentences so forgive my opinion.

bacha29

If you pop positive you are history.
I can't understand why this guy with possibly every cent of money he has invested in his routes would do something this stupid? He's well aware of the policy and it would appear that once again what we have here is an individual who believes that the law doesn't apply to him.
So what does he expect from the rest of us? The donation of a urine sample that would be certain to pass? Give him a big hug and tell him everything is going to be alright? . God help him if he has a spouse and or kids she finds out that the worst happened.

CJinx

Never heard of anyone losing their contract (or not getting renewed) because of a failed drug screen. DQ'd for life from driving, sure...

It will be fine

Never heard of anyone losing their contract (or not getting renewed) because of a failed drug screen. DQ'd for life from driving, sure...
I have, it was just indirect. AO not allowed on site lead to the business contact not running things properly. Contract was not renewed. If you’re the AO and want to smoke just deactivate yourself for a few months, there’s nothing Fedex can do about that. Reassociate after you can give a clean drop.

SmithBarney

I bet you opened your mouth to someone about smoking on Vacation... that someone turned you in...

If it comes back positive You of course could deny that you smoked, or possibly got second hand exposure, due to being a "legal" state you were "near people who were smoking" and might have been exposed.

dvalleyjim

It's a urine test. If you don't have a lot of body fat it won't show up on a urine test after 7-10 days. You still have options. Even if they can you "sell" to one of your managers and still run it. Screw FedEx. They are crooks!

McFeely

Huge Member
If it comes back positive You of course could deny that you smoked, or possibly got second hand exposure, due to being a "legal" state you were "near people who were smoking" and might have been exposed.

Or someone gave you a brownie, but you didn't realize it was a weed brownie.