FedEx Ground CoI

CRT

I load trucks at FedEx Ground as a Package Handler. 15 Hours a week isn't enough so I am applying for other jobs around the area. One of which is USPS. Their starting pay is slightly under driving as an IC for FedEx.

Why should I have to go through the hassle of getting a delivery job at USPS when FedEx has routes open at my hub? I can do both FedEx/USPS but I can't do FedEx then hop on a truck to deliver packages? Conflict of interest? What does that mean? Is there a way around it?

My dilemma is I can't just drop being a Package Handler because that is where I get my insurance. I've heard so many mixed comments on if IC get benefits or not. I know that USPS doesn't get benefits until after your first 360 day term. Working under a contracting service would be similar for FedEx?

BootsOnTarmac

If you want to continue with FedEx, consider jumping to Express. You are restricted as a FedEx employee from working at another FedEx OPCO or USPS, UPS. Since you are a fedex ground handler, you have a good chance at Express, a cross-opco has it's advantages with HR. If you have insurance at ground (1000 Hours) and jump to Express, I believe your 90 days is waived at Express, I may be wrong, HR will know.

CRT

If you want to continue with FedEx, consider jumping to Express. You are restricted as a FedEx employee from working at another FedEx OPCO or USPS, UPS. Since you are a fedex ground handler, you have a good chance at Express, a cross-opco has it's advantages with HR. If you have insurance at ground (1000 Hours) and jump to Express, I believe your 90 days is waived at Express, I may be wrong, HR will know.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the FedEx Express here is completely overshadowed by FedEx Ground. I knew that working at both FedEx/UPS/USPS was frowned upon. I guess I will have to find a third party delivery service that is hiring in my area or go into a different field all together. I really like the atmosphere at FedEx Ground. It's sad that I can't put in more time there. The restrictions placed on Package Handlers must be fairly recent. Both of the highest managerial positions in my hub were allowed to do it without any problems when they were handlers. I'd like to push this situation harder, especially since the truck I load just got a brand new driver, but I really don't want to be a burden to the managers. They are extremely nice and understanding.

CRT

What does that mean exactly? Express does have benefits, and a new pay plan that'll get you above $26hr in 9 years. What's Ground offering that tops that?

We have an Express building but it is extremely tiny compared to the massive Ground warehouse.

vantexan

We have an Express building but it is extremely tiny compared to the massive Ground warehouse.
Not rubbing it in but if you are serious about making a living in this business you should try to get on at UPS or at least Express. Ground is a dead end. Not knocking you Ground guys, you work hard, but at least get paid if it's available.

BootsOnTarmac

"but I really don't want to be a burden to the managers. They are extremely nice and understanding."

EVERY employee is a burden to managers. Some employees are easy and some a pain in the ass. Managers are paid to deal with it all. Managers may be "extremely nice and understanding", but they will deservedly turn on you when you screw up. You need to step away from the happy feeling you get at Ground and look at Express or even UPS if you want to jump ship.