Fedex Ground in Drop Boxes

worldwide

Saw that there are now drop boxes in the Knoxville, TN area that accept both express and ground packages:

Knoxville, TN FedEx Shipping & Printing Locations | FedEx | Kinko's

So who is picking these packages up - a ground or express driver? If express picks up the box and there is ground inside, how does it get to ground and if ground picks up the box and there is express inside, how does it get to express?

Is this part of the big October announcement?

check6ii

Ummmm......thats news to me. Prolly a trial sort of thing. In my express boxes we are supposed to take any ground, ups, dhl, usps pkgs back to our station. Frome there they get sorted and passed on to where they are supposed to go. Hassle? ya. Stupid? maybe. Our job.....yep.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
WW,
It's easy. Ground bar codes are larger than Express (currently).
Any Express or Ground driver that has been doing this for about a year will recognize "their" bar code or, label in an instant.
Each person will only pull "their" frt. out of the box.

worldwide

WW,
Any Express or Ground driver that has been doing this for about a year will recognize "their" bar code or, label in an instant.

Makes sense--two different drivers, two different systems. Upon closer inspection of the website, there are two different pickup times-one for ground and one for air. Seems that it could present more opportunities for customer confusion if the customer meets the driver at the box and the driver can not take the pacakge if he is from the "other" network.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WW,

I would not want to have to answer to the customer who dropped an Express envelope in the combined drop box that never made it to it's destination.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
That prob. won't happen.
I take ground pkgs. depending on the situation and hand them to a ground driver when I see one.
Ground guys know not to take our stuff if it has to get to the destination by a certain commit day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That prob. won't happen.
I take ground pkgs. depending on the situation and hand them to a ground driver when I see one.
Ground guys know not to take our stuff if it has to get to the destination by a certain commit day.

I also agree that it probably would never happen. I do see it as a recipe for disaster.

CJinx

I'm fairly certain that we'll all be using the same barcode soon. Factor that into your theorycrafting.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The whole Ground enchilada is a recipe for disaster, it's just a disaster in excruciatingly slow motion.

Here's what you do with Ground packages in an Express Drop Box. Pick them up, but don't scan them! Place them in a designated place in your vehicle! As soon as you find a dumpster where nobody can see you, deposit all of your Ground packages inside!

Bravo Zulu!

bbsam

Staff member
Here's what you do with Ground packages in an Express Drop Box. Pick them up, but don't scan them! Place them in a designated place in your vehicle! As soon as you find a dumpster where nobody can see you, deposit all of your Ground packages inside!

Bravo Zulu!
Where nobody can see you?! Explain it to your senior when that hidden security camera picks it up. "But they were Ground packages..."

thedownhillEXPRESS

Where nobody can see you?! Explain it to your senior when that hidden security camera picks it up. "But they were Ground packages..."

Yep, Fred has NSA style cameras in orbit over every courier,I'm sure it's just like in Enemy of the State, I'll be Will Smith, Who wants to be Gene Hackman?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.

Bravo Zulu!
Why waste your time doing that.
Just open them up in the security and comfort of your truck.
It's like Christmas.

Glorifiedpackmule

I'd love it If Ground was responsible for picking up their packages out of the drop boxes. I know exactly how it would work.. They'd show up once a week. I wonder if they would share the responsibility of stocking the thing with supplies. Naah...very unlikely. Expess will have to do it... Just like Express has to turn in Sales Leads for Ground.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Last night I rolled past a FDX Dbox that has some cardboard "tent" style sign on top of it.
It sure looked like it was saying something about ground being accepted in that box.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Last night I rolled past a FDX Dbox that has some cardboard "tent" style sign on top of it.
It sure looked like it was saying something about ground being accepted in that box.

Buy a paintball gun, or since we longer get any hours you'll have to go on the barter section of Craigslist and trade for one, take the spouses car and let the kids shoot that b*&^h! Tee Hee Hee emmitty effer!!

HomeDelivery

Last night I rolled past a FDX Dropbox that has some cardboard "tent" style sign on top of it.

can you get a pic of it?

edit: ok i found it

new_dropbox_cut_ds.png

so, yea, I'm assuming this will be HD's pickups... we shall see...
new_dropbox_cut_ds.png