FedEx Ground loses in Massachusetts

MAKAVELI

http://independentcontractorcompliance.com/2013/07/09/fedex-ground-loses-massachusetts-independent-contractor-misclassification-lawsuit/

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I remember reading a few years ago that a ground sta. in MA unionized. (only the handlers)
Then, I heard, recently, that that disbanded or something.
Who can tell me what happened in a nutshell?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I remember reading a few years ago that a ground sta. in MA unionized. (only the handlers)
Then, I heard, recently, that that disbanded or something.
Who can tell me what happened in a nutshell?

The IBT tried to unionize a MA Ground terminal (handlers). FedEx came-in with a strike-breaking team and the Teamsters ran away because Fred's BBQ Squad convinced the hourlies that they didn't need a union.

MAKAVELI

If Mass. isn't an ISP state yet, it soon will be.
It appears that MA is already an ISP state. Maybe your scam isn't so iron clad arfter all. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how they will try to tweak the contractor model in MA and how it will affect other states.

bbsam

Staff member
It appears that MA is already an ISP state. Maybe your scam isn't so iron clad arfter all. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how they will try to tweak the contractor model in MA and how it will affect other states.
read the last paragraph again.

MAKAVELI

read the last paragraph again.
Since you are the expert in this scam, why don't you explain how FedEx will change the model in MA to meet those requirements?

MAKAVELI

They went to the ISP model. That's how it was tweaked. Old lawsuit just running its course.
That's not the way I read it. FedEx paid a settlement of $3 million in 2010. Implimented ISP in 2011 and this latest judgement states they still have not met the requirements for the B prong of the ABC law governing IC's.

bbsam

Staff member
Right. Massachusetts has the strictest criteria. Tweak the model and carry on. Nothing Fedex hasn't dealt with before and unless states have a wholesale reform of criteria, should stay fairly localized to Massachusetts.

MAKAVELI

Right. Massachusetts has the strictest criteria. Tweak the model and carry on. Nothing Fedex hasn't dealt with before and unless states have a wholesale reform of criteria, should stay fairly localized to Massachusetts.
They already have " tweaked the model" and lost this lawsuit because they couldn't meet that B prong requirement. It opens the door for more lawsuits in MA.