Fedex Hiring Session

Pack_Man

Hi. My first post in this place. This forum has been very useful in answering many of my questions. Next week Fedex has setup a hiring session in NYC from 10 am to 5 pm. I was wondering if anyone had any experience about these sessions? Is it like a job fair or would I have to be there the entire day? Thank you!!

Pack_Man

Thank you Mr. 7 for your reply. It is Fedex Express. By any chance, do you have any information on the process? Whether or not it's an all day thing?

Pack_Man

And the only reason why I ask is because I have a few appointments that same day and I have been trying to apply with Fedex but I haven't heard anything back from them in regards to the different applications that I submitted online so I'm thinking this might be the best opportunity.

Express Courier

I don't think it would be an entire day type thing. Maybe an hour or two I would think. You might answer a bunch of questions like in a test format. Questions like Would you turn in a coworker you knew was stealing?

They might have done away with that though.

hypo hanna

fedex isn't exactly on "organized" organization. The job fair thingy is probably being run by a different group then the ones you have already applied with. Since they churn through employees, they have to keep as many potential drivers in the pipeline as they can.
Go to the job fair. They might have their act together more then the others. If you get hired by one, don't be surprised if you get a call from the others telling you to come in for an interview.

Pack_Man

Thanks everyone for your replies. Ok so I'll look into that Fedex hiring session. I also have an interview next Friday with UPS so I'll see how that works out!!

Pack_Man

Thanks Operational Needs for your reply. Whats appealing to me with FedEx is the option to transfer to another state. My fiancé and I have plans in the future to move to California so I would like to at least try to hold on to something a little concrete. I don't know how easy that process would be but to my understanding with UPS if you transfer to any other location, you lose just about everything as far as seniority and whatever perks that came with it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks Operational Needs for your reply. Whats appealing to me with FedEx is the option to transfer to another state. My fiancé and I have plans in the future to move to California so I would like to at least try to hold on to something a little concrete. I don't know how easy that process would be but to my understanding with UPS if you transfer to any other location, you lose just about everything as far as seniority and whatever perks that came with it.

I've taken advantage of that benefit on multiple occasions, BUT, if hindsight was 20/20, I'd be wearing a brown uniform right now thinking about retiring in a few years. Instead, I'm pissed about how I'm getting screwed royally on my pay and benefits and wondering if and where I'll be able to retire to and not have to worry about how I'll pay my mortgage every month.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Another thing, FedEx will look very appealing in the beginning. It won't take long before the idea of never reaching top pay and an almost nonexistent retirement, plus the minimal insurance will make you have second thoughts. UPS is going through a major hiring spree right now. You might not see that again for many years.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks everyone for your replies. Ok so I'll look into that Fedex hiring session. I also have an interview next Friday with UPS so I'll see how that works out!!

Don't waste your time at FedEx. The fact that they require a "hiring event" speaks volumes about how people are not wanting to work here any longer. Go to UPS and get a real job with a future. There isn't one at FedEx.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Don't waste your time at FedEx. The fact that they require a "hiring event" speaks volumes about how people are not wanting to work here any longer. Go to UPS and get a real job with a future. There isn't one at FedEx.

While I agree with you about the UPS future, FedEx does plenty of hiring events and always has, in my area anyway. I was hired many years ago at one. That is how they get their "pool of applicants" for present and future use.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
While I agree with you about the UPS future, FedEx does plenty of hiring events and always has, in my area anyway. I was hired many years ago at one. That is how they get their "pool of applicants" for present and future use.

True, but these are desperation hiring events, as in we don't have enough people to cover the operation, not the "applicant pools" of the past. Not enough people, not enough lift, a shortage of RTDs and couriers...they are already in a panic over Peak. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Easy solution. Pay decently and provide good benefits.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Where I am, whenever they have the hiring events they may get 10 out of 100 who look even remotely promising. Then after it's said and done, they might end up with three. Kind of sad actually. I remember when it used to be hard to get on with FedEx. If you didn't have someone already working for FedEx vouching for you, it was almost impossible to get in.

The days of decent pay and good benefits are over for FedEx Express.

SmithBarney

Where I am, whenever they have the hiring events they may get 10 out of 100 who look even remotely promising. Then after it's said and done, they might end up with three. Kind of sad actually. I remember when it used to be hard to get on with FedEx. If you didn't have someone already working for FedEx vouching for you, it was almost impossible to get in.

The days of decent pay and good benefits are over for FedEx Express.

Sounds like where I am, last "hiring" had over 300 applicants, a few made it through, and our glorious and supreme leader picked a real winner, after going to driving/CRR school he QUIT after one day on the job. (BTW our managers did this same thing 3 times in a row... a few lasted a bit longer)