FedEx Home, Ground, or Express BEST??

I'm a new driver for FedEx Home and as of now I'm making 120$ a day before taxes, no benefits, no vacation, nothing except that I get to take the truck home with me. I hear guys say that Ground and Express not only get paid better but get benefits too. Is this true and how hard is it to get on in these instead? Thanks for your help!!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
No health benefits with a 7 month old is no good :-/ but I really enjoy the work.

Pretty bleak in the benefits department at Ground (from what I hear) unless you luck into a rare contractor who provides them

Express does provide a semblance of benefits. Nothing special. It all depends on where you live as to how easy it is to get in. Larger areas have more of a challenge finding people.

Your best bet is to go to UPS. They have excellent benefits.

It will be fine

It's rare to walk in off the street at UPS and get a driving job, but it's worth getting on the waiting list if your plan is long term. If you want to get in at Ground find a contractor and tell them you're looking. We tend to network and help each other out when there's a vacancy. Express is moving to a part time workforce, I'd avoid it.

So even FedEx Ground is through subcontractors? Our UPS post is only hiring for seasonal unloaders. I did that for a couple days but it was only 4 hours a day and the HR said it takes about 5 years to get a driving position. I'm new to the whole postal service game, only been doing it for 2 weeks. So I just need to search around for contractors in Home and Ground that offer benefits?

kickpackage1

RUN and RUN as far away from that place as you can take a job delivering anything but packages for that company ... 120 dollars for 14 hrs a day average that out and you would be better off at Wendy's or any other place for that fact ... Fedex Ground Fedex HD is a big time Joke

It's rare to walk in off the street at UPS and get a driving job, but it's worth getting on the waiting list if your plan is long term. If you want to get in at Ground find a contractor and tell them you're looking. We tend to network and help each other out when there's a vacancy. Express is moving to a part time workforce, I'd avoid it.
So even FedEx Ground is through subcontractors? Our UPS post is only hiring for seasonal unloaders. I did that for a couple days but it was only 4 hours a day and the HR said it takes about 5 years to get a driving position. I'm new to the whole postal service game, only been doing it for 2 weeks. So I just need to search around for contractors in Home and Ground that offer benefits and paid time off?

Lol I just enjoy driving around the city delivering stuff and getting out at 230-330 in the afternoon. How hard is the test and the hiring process for USPS?

It will be fine

Benefits will be hard to come by at Ground. The ACA is actually making it easier to offer them with the small business exchange. I'm offering them next year. Most ground and HD drivers get them on their own or through a spouse. Ground is all contractors and they all pay differently.

Benefits will be hard to come by at Ground. The ACA is actually making it easier to offer them with the small business exchange. I'm offering them next year. Most ground and HD drivers get them on their own or through a spouse. Ground is all contractors and they all pay differently.
Do you offer paid time off as well? Would you say ground is better to work for than hd or they are pretty much the same?

It will be fine

I'm very lax on vacations. My guys start with 2 weeks paid. I've got a bunch that have been with me for years that take 4 or 5 weeks a year, but I don't really track it. The difference between Ground and HD is pickups. At ground from about 2 to 5-6 pm you have a schedule of pickup stops that will fill the truck back up and you have to bring it back to the terminal.

BoxDriver

I switched from HD to Ground. Main reason was to get away from working Saturdays. HD is really part of Ground so yes it's all contracted routes. Benefits and vacation all depend on the contractor. Some offer vacation, few seem to offer benefits. Pay also varies a lot. What you say you're being payed seems about the average from what I've seen being offered here for new guys on Craigslist ads. It really is a deadend job so don't think there is much chance to do anything much different than the day you started.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
after 30+ years in the business, my advice is - skip this horrid industry altogether...all FedEx opcos, USPS, UPS, DHL et al - it's a serious buncha crap irrespective of the pay. If I had my life to do over again I'd avoid them all like the plague.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Lol I just enjoy driving around the city delivering stuff and getting out at 230-330 in the afternoon. How hard is the test and the hiring process for USPS?
Need to quit bulljiving and just get a job at UPS. No future at FedEx for ya. All these people want their cake and eat it at the same time, game don't work like that son. You can keep working at NOWHEREVILLE and make chump change and no benefits and no retirement or suck it up and put your time in at UPS and have good pay, good benefits and retirement. Get a part time job while your working part time at UPS, and heres something for ya, YOU GET HEALTH INSURANCE AS A PART TIMER AT UPS also. Oh and by the way I just hit 80k for the year today. Theres your answer to your dilemma right there son. And theres drivers on here that have made more than that already for this year also. Easy choice really unless your one of those people with no patience and no perseverance.

dezguy

Keep the FedEx job and work UPS PT until there is an opening. Most people in our situation have to work 2 or 3 jobs for a while to get by.
You cannot work for the competition if you work at FedEx. If FedEx finds out you're workling for UPS, you will be canned immediately.