Fedex management structure - operations

nawlins

Whats the management structure like at fedex? I know ups has part-time supervisors and then full-time supervisors but how does fedex work?

I've seen job postings for operations manager, is this the lowest level of management similar to a pt sup? What's above an operations manager? Thanks!

whenIgetthere

There are Operations Managers at each, or should I say most stations, can vary by station depending on size. The station I am at now has four Ops Managers. My old station had six managers (much larger station), four during the day, one for each belt, one for the PM pick up routes and one that ran the PM reload, vehicle relocating, ramp shuttles etc. About 5 or 6 years ago, one manager was down graded when management ranks were trimmed (and wound up being the most useless swing driver in the station). Current station has one manager who splits time between two stations, the other one is about 90 miles from us. They all answer to the Senior Manager (also, some SM's have more than one station, four for our SM. They answer to the District Director/Manager who in turn answers to Memphis. To the best of my knowledge, FedEx does not have PT managers at stations. At the ramp it could be a different story.

nawlins

There are Operations Managers at each, or should I say most stations, can vary by station depending on size. The station I am at now has four Ops Managers. My old station had six managers (much larger station), four during the day, one for each belt, one for the PM pick up routes and one that ran the PM reload, vehicle relocating, ramp shuttles etc. About 5 or 6 years ago, one manager was down graded when management ranks were trimmed (and wound up being the most useless swing driver in the station). Current station has one manager who splits time between two stations, the other one is about 90 miles from us. They all answer to the Senior Manager (also, some SM's have more than one station, four for our SM. They answer to the District Director/Manager who in turn answers to Memphis. To the best of my knowledge, FedEx does not have PT managers at stations. At the ramp it could be a different story.
Would you say an ops manager at fedex is a step up from a pt sup at ups? Obviously the pay is a step up, but the job descriptions I've seen mention firing/hiring, which are things a pt sup doesn't do at UPS. I'm wondering if i should make the switch.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ops Managers usually run the day to day operations of the stations. A lot of times it depends on how involved the SM is. If the SM is a major control freak, they might be more involved. Ops Mgrs. make the decisions on who gets hired after they are screened through HR. They also fire couriers. From what I've read on here, it seems that FedEx Ops Managers have more power than PT sups at UPS. If you are thinking of making a switch from UPS to FedEx, it's a thankless job at FedEx too. Probably not as stressful as at UPS though.

MAKAVELI

Ops Managers usually run the day to day operations of the stations. A lot of times it depends on how involved the SM is. If the SM is a major control freak, they might be more involved. Ops Mgrs. make the decisions on who gets hired after they are screened through HR. They also fire couriers. From what I've read on here, it seems that FedEx Ops Managers have more power than PT sups at UPS. If you are thinking of making a switch from UPS to FedEx, it's a thankless job at FedEx too. Probably not as stressful as at UPS though.
On the bright side of being an ops mgr at FedEx, you can be a total friend up and still keep your job. As long as you are a yes man or woman to upper management.:cool:

nawlins

Yea the thankless aspect is a given. I'm used to it lol. As long as the job is no worse than a pt sup it seems worth it to me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Whats the management structure like at fedex? I know ups has part-time supervisors and then full-time supervisors but how does fedex work?

I've seen job postings for operations manager, is this the lowest level of management similar to a pt sup? What's above an operations manager? Thanks!

Here's the basic structure:

Top Management: Incompetent morons

Upper Management: Incompetent morons

Middle Management: Incompetent morons

Lower Management: Incompetent morons

Maui

There is no PT management at Express.
The structure is Ops Manager - Senior Manager - Managing Director - Regional VP - Executive VP
Ops Managers at Express are similar to FT Sups/Oncar sups at UPS. Pay at Express is less than UPS in frontline management levels also, but decent.
Advancing to SM position would take 4-8 years, realistically closer to the end of that and would likely require managing a large station. Advancement to MD requires approval from the Board of Directors and would take another 10-15 years. So, overall the move to a Director level position would likely take 20+years and there are not many of those positions in ops.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
OPS manager positions are realistically "puppet positions."

Even ordering paperclips requires district approval with at least 3 signatures.

Who wants to be in a management position with that kind of structure?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OPS manager positions are realistically "puppet positions."

Even ordering paperclips requires district approval with at least 3 signatures.

Who wants to be in a management position with that kind of structure?

Exactly. Puppets/marionettes directly attached to the string-pullers and hand inserters in MEM. You can't wipe your ass without approval from several layers of management above you. Like you said, a box of paper clips needs stupid levels of approval, and we don't even have stocked first aid kits or adequate janitorial/maintenance at facilities.

A top-down organization, with morons at the very top, ensures piss-poor management at lower levels...even if they are basically decent managers at heart. Think a crazy Pope, who issues idiotic dictates which must be followed to the letter, sent out on a regular basis from an Ivory Tower "Vatican".

I stand by my assessment of morons at every level.

CJinx

Like you said, a box of paper clips needs stupid levels of approval, and we don't even have stocked first aid kits or adequate janitorial/maintenance at facilities.
No, they don't. Your management team is trying to impress somebody by operating under budget and is willing to cut corners to do so. The only person who signs off on office expenses is the SM. Whether your location has adequate supplies or not depends on how big of a tightwad that individual is.

Cactus

No, they don't. Your management team is trying to impress somebody by operating under budget and is willing to cut corners to do so. The only person who signs off on office expenses is the SM. Whether your location has adequate supplies or not depends on how big of a tightwad that individual is.
While that may be true, the managers these days can't pull strings' cause their hands are tied.

Ask around. We're not making this stuff up and we don't have to because we've lived it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Nah, don't think so. I've heard from plenty locations where they don't maintain the building and/or supply the first-aid kits, toilet paper etc. They have been directed by Puppet-Master Smith to do so.

Cactus

Nah, don't think so. I've heard from plenty locations where they don't maintain the building and/or supply the first-aid kits, toilet paper etc. They have been directed by Puppet-Master Smith to do so.
You'll have to excuse CJinx, she thinks she's got every branch of the entire FDX empire all figured out. Just like the clerk behind the slurpee machine at 7-11 who's "this close" to getting a doctrine.

CJinx

Bull:censored2:. Someone's making excuses so they can operate the building in the black by a significant margin. I've seen enough SMs-in-training to see that one a mile away. They want to 'whip the station into shape' and skimp to look like they're doing a great job, and promote out to a larger station(and a bigger salary). Watch yourself around them because they can sacrifice you if it means advancing their careers.
You'll have to excuse CJinx, she thinks she's got every branch of the entire FDX empire all figured out. Just like the clerk behind the slurpee machine at 7-11 who's "this close" to getting a doctrine.
No, it just so happens that this office jockey happens to know more about what happens in the office than people who spend most of their day on the road. Who knew?

Cactus

Bull:censored2:. Someone's making excuses so they can operate the building in the black by a significant margin. I've seen enough SMs-in-training to see that one a mile away. They want to 'whip the station into shape' and skimp to look like they're doing a great job, and promote out to a larger station(and a bigger salary). Watch yourself around them because they can sacrifice you if it means advancing their careers.
I haven't met a SM who wasn't a suckass. But here's the deal, you go and squeeze the pennies, cut station spending to the bone and whala, you find yourself operating on a much smaller budget the next fiscal year. You've just dug your own grave.

If you're monthly station budget is for example, $100K and you've proven that you can operate at $92K do you seriously think Fred's gonna give you $100K a month for the next year? Dream on.

Economics 101. And you need to start thinking 'big school' here if you're even toying with the idea of climbing the ladder.

CJinx

If you're monthly station budget is for example, $100K and you've proven that you can operate at $92K do you seriously think Fred's gonna give you $100K a month for the next year? Dream on.
They don't care what the next year's FES is going to look like because they have no intention of being around to deal with it. Yes, we'll get a lower budget on the following year... just means we'll operate in the red and the following budget will get adjusted accordingly.

Cactus

Doubtful.

You really think that all SM's are gonna get promoted just because they look good on paper?

As far as the following year budget will get adjusted accordingly goes, that's much easier said than done.

CJinx

Anyone (SMs included) who intends to promote up will go to any length to make themselves look good on paper. Then they go into the interview and bleat on about all the success they've had and how they're the best person for the job.

The district staff aren't stupid though; they know what's going on. It looks good that their stations are running under budget so they don't ask questions. Lower tier management will get bitched at for running over budget, and ultimately the ship does right itself... until the next guy plays games with the monopoly money.

But hey, being on the road as a delivery driver; you should know everything there is to know about being promoted and helping manage a station's budget, right?

Cactus

But hey, being on the road as a delivery driver; you should know everything there is to know about being promoted and helping manage a station's budget, right?
Yep. Pretty much.

You don't have to be in the station 8 hours a day to figure out what's going on with these clowns. Most of them make it so blatantly obvious it ain't funny.

If it takes you an entire shift week after week to get a grasp on what's going on then most likely you're just a little slow to catch on.