Fedex Pension question

seanxke

Hello,

I just got hired on to FedEx Ground as a package handler will be doing my orientation This Tuesday. I have read that FedEx will be getting rid of the pension for new hires starting in January 2020 and just be doing the 401k thing basically. My question is since I have been hired on before January 2020 am I eligible for a pension in the benefit package once I hit my 1000 hours in the company? I am just asking as It would be the next year then once I would hit the 1000 hours , so I might not be able to get the Pension more than likely with the benefit package? Just the standard health, 401k, and the other things?

Something I am curious about. It sucks they are stopping the pension. I know UPS has one and the USPS. But I know FedEx is a good company to work for from what I have read and good benefits as well. I was looking for a job with a Pension and I knew FedEx had one but just found out this news a couple weeks back.

I can't say I am not surprised about this as more and more companies are stopping the pensions and going in the route with 401k.

Purplepackage

Hello,

I just got hired on to FedEx Ground as a package handler will be doing my orientation This Tuesday. I have read that FedEx will be getting rid of the pension for new hires starting in January 2020 and just be doing the 401k thing basically. My question is since I have been hired on before January 2020 am I eligible for a pension in the benefit package once I hit my 1000 hours in the company? I am just asking as It would be the next year then once I would hit the 1000 hours , so I might not be able to get the Pension more than likely with the benefit package? Just the standard health, 401k, and the other things?

Something I am curious about. It sucks they are stopping the pension. I know UPS has one and the USPS. But I know FedEx is a good company to work for from what I have read and good benefits as well. I was looking for a job with a Pension and I knew FedEx had one but just found out this news a couple weeks back.

I can't say I am not surprised about this as more and more companies are stopping the pensions and going in the route with 401k.

For starters, the pension in the terms you are thinking was ended years ago. They switched to a 401k/portable pension which is also now ending.

Honestly I’m not sure I’d ground employees were ever eligible for the portable pension

seanxke

ok thanks guys. I guess I will just get the traditional package then 401 k, health insurance etc. Oh well was hoping I could get some kind of pension starting at Fedex.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
ok thanks guys. I guess I will just get the traditional package then 401 k, health insurance etc. Oh well was hoping I could get some kind of pension starting at Fedex.
Traditional package? health insurance?...... at Ground?

Well, good luck with that.

dezguy

Traditional package? health insurance?...... at Ground?

Well, good luck with that.
I think ground package handlers are actual FedEx employees, are they not?

As for good benefits, pension, etc. Our benefits, "pension" are far inferior of that of our competitors. I don't know where you read that they're good but, sorry to inform you, that is wrong. That being said, if you're coming from a job with 0 bennies or pension, then it's a good move, I guess.

Don't get married to working for FedEx. It's easy to get hooked on their purple promise mantra. This is a job, not a career. Don't stop looking for something else that is better.

bacha29

I think ground package handlers are actual FedEx employees, are they not?

As for good benefits, pension, etc. Our benefits, "pension" are far inferior of that of our competitors. I don't know where you read that they're good but, sorry to inform you, that is wrong. That being said, if you're coming from a job with 0 bennies or pension, then it's a good move, I guess.

Don't get married to working for FedEx. It's easy to get hooked on their purple promise mantra. This is a job, not a career. Don't stop looking for something else that is better.
At least some of them are third party staffing agency employees. They do have some type of benefit plan.

Serf

The Portable Pension was better than nothing, but it's gone now. That was going to be my gravy money in the Philippines.

McFeely

Huge Member
The Portable Pension was better than nothing, but it's gone now.

It's still there if you were hired before Jan 2020. For now, you'll have the choice to continue with the portable pension as-is, or skip the PP and take the 8% 401k match.

Hello,

Unfortunately ground gets nothing