FedEx pilots

yadig

I suppose everyone else who made it all happen is just chopped liver.
They stick together and it’s been good for them! They haven’t lost a single benefit in the last 30 years! The other hourly employees keep watching there benefits decline. They are just smarter and that union is beneficial for them.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They stick together and it’s been good for them! They haven’t lost a single benefit in the last 30 years! The other hourly employees keep watching there benefits decline. They are just smarter and that union is beneficial for them.
They were smart.

They figured out Smith early in the game and knew their benefits would not be guaranteed just because BS artist Smith said so.

Star B

White Lightening
its also easier to unionize a small group of educated people versus an uneducated mass.

bacha29

They were smart.

They figured out Smith early in the game and knew their benefits would not be guaranteed just because BS artist Smith said so.
Far Freddy has to respect the pilots not just because they're pilots but because they are UNION pilots and have the backing of a collective bargaining agreement and a union that has some teeth in it's mouth. Unfortunately for the guys who fly those stepvan airliners with a flight ceiling of less than a foot.....they have nothing to look forward to.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx pilots will do very well thanks to the non union worker ants.
This. I watched the film and almost threw-up. The "Gods of The Air" are going to get another big, fat contract at "your" (hourlies) expense. For those that whine about FedEx "not being able to afford a union" consider that FedEx pilots are the best compensated in the industry and have lavish pensions and benefits, all because Fred paid you peanuts.

They can even afford a self-serving promotional video.

Aquaman

It also doesn't hurt that their job is highly specialized.
Always thought the RTD’s should unionize. Much like pilots, nothing moves without us. We’re nearly as important. The job isn’t as specialized, but still specialized. Requires a specific license external from FedEx. And we’re vastly underpaid. But… too many uneducated idiots I guess.

yadig

Always thought the RTD’s should unionize. Much like pilots, nothing moves without us. We’re nearly as important. The job isn’t as specialized, but still specialized. Requires a specific license external from FedEx. And we’re vastly underpaid. But… too many uneducated idiots I guess.

yadig

I believe it’s a matter of time before rtd’s get a union vote. The old heads that are still loyal to Fred are retiring or dying off. They moved rtd’s to a 5 tier program and it wasn’t because they care.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I believe it’s a matter of time before rtd’s get a union vote. The old heads that are still loyal to Fred are retiring or dying off. They moved rtd’s to a 5 tier program and it wasn’t because they care.
What are tiers to fedex except a football that Lucy will yank away without exception?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Great point. They absolutely should organize because 1 RTD has up to 5 positions of freight, which isn't analogous to a line haul aircraft, but still a job where 1 person has direct control over a station's outcome for the day. The revolving door makes it more difficult because as soon as an RTD gets trained and has some experience, they immediately go elsewhere. As they should. Class A drivers are much like pilots....in demand, and currently in the driver's seat when it comes to negotiating power. Several airlines have recently had picketing, including Alaska and Delta. I'd expect big pay bumps to be the end result.

"New" leadership at the top would seem to be Fred's hand-picked successor who is more likely a puppet that is still controlled by the whims of Dear Leader. It would be great to see a large ramp have a massive sick call, slowdown, or walkout that would have a massive impact on a large market and quite probably get national media attention. Taking action is the only way to deal with FedEx because they'll deflect and divide and conquer as long as possible, the status quo at Express forever. Raj needs to get educated as soon as possible.

Nothing happens until people decide to take action, and a handful of courageous individuals won't be enough. Don't announce it, keep it out of the grapevine so FedEx can't have contingency contract drivers in place, and DO IT. As long as you keep being pliable and willingly bend over, "Fred" and Friends will keep sticking you where the sun doesn't shine.

The pilots figured out Smith a long time ago, and even though it's hard to stomach their egos, kudos to them for taking steps to unionize and keep management under control. Learn from them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There are 163,000 ATP's in the USA vs. over 3 million truckers.
Once again, an apples to bananas comparison. RTDs deserve an industry-comparable scale of wages, just as the pilots do. The FedEx pilots obviously exert more control over their situation because they are far less easy to replace and have a much higher skill set. A valid comparison would be UPS feeder drivers at about $40 per hour, along with an outstanding PENSION and excellent medical and dental benefits. A career UPS feeder driver is going to have a 5-6K per month pension, assuming PEER 80 and out status. Most feeder drivers work nights and pull doubles, not much weirder than 0230 starts at FedEx.

Yeah. FedEx compares "favorably".