Fedex Security

Goldilocks

Please follow policy and lock your doors. Fedex Security is on high alert during peak. Also, make sure you are not caught talking on your phone....Have a Safe Peak.....

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If I recieve a call, I will pull over and answer it. Usually a manager calling me to help someone...
Whoa! Tell your knucklehead manager to send to a message via powerpad if he wants something. I don't answer cell phone callls from managers any more unless I specifically leave a message for them to call. That is unless they're willing to pay your cellphone bill.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Whoa! Tell your knucklehead manager to send to a message via powerpad if he wants something. I don't answer cell phone callls from managers any more unless I specifically leave a message for them to call. That is unless they're willing to pay your cellphone bill.

Excellent point. At my station, managers regularly call couriers on the road after demanding their cell phone numbers. Bad idea. Also, how many of you are using your cell phones to call Dispatch or more likely, customers, when Dispatch is too busy watching "Gilligan's Island" to answer the phone? Is there ever any mention of compensation for cell phone time you paid-for?

Someone actually brought this up in a meeting one time, and the senior actually said "FedEx has a discount plan for Verizon", and refused to address the subject further. So, the expectation is that you will not only use your own phone, but also rely on it when dispatchers either won't answer the phone, are "too busy" or when you desperately need to contact a shipper or recipient.

More free stuff for Fred. Don't do it. If it cannot be handled over the PowerPad then it must not be important.

A

Amigonnamakeit

I recently changed routes and I'm finding out that the courier before me used his cell phone all day calling and receiving calls from customers. I've had around 15 ask me for my number and several get very angry at me when I wouldn't give it to them. They tell me they need it so they can call me and check to see if they have anything that day. Also finding out he would deliver everything to people's work instead of driving out of town(it's a rural route) to the address on the package. I never knew(and ive been doing this job for awhile) a indirect delivery meant I had the choice of delivering it 17 miles away I always thought it was next door or across the street. Hmmmm No wonder I'm not hitting the bogus numbers that are set on the route.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
FYI, if you pull over on the side of the road, make sure you turn your truck off and take the keys out of the ignition. If you don't, per Corporate policy you can get a warning letter. Merry Christmas.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FYI, if you pull over on the side of the road, make sure you turn your truck off and take the keys out of the ignition. If you don't, per Corporate policy you can get a warning letter. Merry Christmas.

This company is so ridiculous. If you are one of the favored employees, nobody would say a word about something like you just described. If you aren't, then it's letter time. I know of several couriers who openly walk around with a Bluetooth headset and nobody says a thing. It's like they've got it stuck on their head for jewelry.

Management KNOWS that people use their cellphones and PowerPads while driving and they only care when they need to discipline you or if you have an accident and they suddenly "discover" you've been breaking safety rules.

It is such a joke.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I guess it all depends on how seriously Security takes their job. Security Man in the Capital District takes his job VERY seriously. Nice guy, but watch out if you are in his view.

vantexan

I recently changed routes and I'm finding out that the courier before me used his cell phone all day calling and receiving calls from customers. I've had around 15 ask me for my number and several get very angry at me when I wouldn't give it to them. They tell me they need it so they can call me and check to see if they have anything that day. Also finding out he would deliver everything to people's work instead of driving out of town(it's a rural route) to the address on the package. I never knew(and ive been doing this job for awhile) a indirect delivery meant I had the choice of delivering it 17 miles away I always thought it was next door or across the street. Hmmmm No wonder I'm not hitting the bogus numbers that are set on the route.

When I started this 4X10 cover driver job experienced the same thing with their customers who were used to being "taken care of." Actually had one call me after getting my number from courier I was covering that day. A couple so far have asked for my number and I said sorry, no. Could say more, but this website has ears. Suffice it to say when couriers have been on a rt for many years they develop relationships and that's fine, but if something goes wrong that can blow up in their face. Company always looks the other way until there's a problem and then the blame goes squarely on the rule breaker.

I love it when u cant use your cell phone on company time but its o.k. if they call you!! B.S.!!! Last time my boss wanted me to call him i found a payphone and called him collect.......My phone doesnt ring too much anymore!!!!lol

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
When I started this 4X10 cover driver job experienced the same thing with their customers who were used to being "taken care of." Actually had one call me after getting my number from courier I was covering that day. A couple so far have asked for my number and I said sorry, no. Could say more, but this website has ears. Suffice it to say when couriers have been on a rt for many years they develop relationships and that's fine, but if something goes wrong that can blow up in their face. Company always looks the other way until there's a problem and then the blame goes squarely on the rule breaker.

A good rule of thumb is to be judicious when deciding who gets your number. Do what works for you while allowing you to sufficiently CYA. In some places, you'd be a fool to give anyone your number. In others, you'd be a fool not to.

vantexan

A good rule of thumb is to be judicious when deciding who gets your number. Do what works for you while allowing you to sufficiently CYA. In some places, you'd be a fool to give anyone your number. In others, you'd be a fool not to.

Got to disagree with you. We aren't supposed to be using our cellphones although of course most with one do use them. I use mine to call bad addresses to find them, just much easier than waiting for dispatch. But I'm not giving anyone my number, especially if they start calling me at home. At last station had a couple of customers save my number after I called for directions and then called me at home when they were expecting other pkgs. One called at 10 p.m. and the other at 6:30 a.m.. Both were told to please not do that again. Not about to give my number to those who seem eager to have it.

59 Dano

Got to disagree with you. We aren't supposed to be using our cellphones although of course most with one do use them. I use mine to call bad addresses to find them, just much easier than waiting for dispatch. But I'm not giving anyone my number, especially if they start calling me at home. At last station had a couple of customers save my number after I called for directions and then called me at home when they were expecting other pkgs. One called at 10 p.m. and the other at 6:30 a.m.. Both were told to please not do that again. Not about to give my number to those who seem eager to have it.

That's why I said to be judicious about it, DUH ;)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Eh, I should have been clearer. I meant on some routes you'd be.

I don't know about your station, but at mine, getting ahold of Dispatch is a joke, even when it isn't peak. Many couriers take the initiative and use their personal phones to research bad adds, notify pickups they are running behind, or to call-ahead on DSR/ISR/ASR packages to make sure someone is there to sign for the package. I used to do it, but I stopped, and it adds a significant chunk of non-productive time to my day. If Dispatch won't answer the PowerPad in a timely fashion, I just move-on. If I'm at a customer location and they have a phone available, it's 5 rings, and I move-on. Management has my cellphone because I've had my number for a long time. With Caller ID, I don't answer, nor do I answer voicemails. That's free cellphone time that Fred would never pay for, but it has come to be expected, just as couriers are more or less expected to give their cell numbers to management. And because many people no longer have landlines, their cellphone is their only number and management already has it.

59 Dano

Management has my cellphone because I've had my number for a long time. With Caller ID, I don't answer, nor do I answer voicemails. That's free cellphone time that Fred would never pay for, but it has come to be expected,

I'm not sure what decade you're living in, but these days unlimited cell minutes are nice and cheap.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not sure what decade you're living in, but these days unlimited cell minutes are nice and cheap.

Depends on your carrier. I have a limited-minutes plan that save me significant money over unlimited. Cheap or not, why donate them to Fred?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I'm not giving anyone my number, especially if they start calling me at home. At last station had a couple of customers save my number after I called for directions and then called me at home when they were expecting other pkgs. One called at 10 p.m. and the other at 6:30 a.m.. Both were told to please not do that again. Not about to give my number to those who seem eager to have it.

I had a very similar situation with an old "heavy" customer of mine. No body gets my number anymore.