FedEx Shippers

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
BM

Let me pose a question to answer your question.

Who put that money into the plan so I get a check?

When left to their own devices, the Union has shown they can be trusted, right?

You can then argue that the union demanded and negotiated for that retirement check. Yes they did. But who earned that money?

You make it sound like it is a gift that is given because of the large great heart of the union.

Like it or not, the Teamsters would go bust without the cash cow called UPS. Their whole business plan revolves around brown. And without help from the sidelines, the Teamsters would not stand a chance with Fedex.

So, to answer your question, the pension is great. But it is totally dependent on how well UPS does now and in the future, not to mention the economy.

H 50, there is a lot to be said about dealing with walmart. Ask them why they dont carry glass plus for instance........

I have seen walmart run several manufacturing businesses here into the ground. They first come to you because you make the best product at a fair price. So you buy all the needed additional equipment, expand and rent/lease/buy new buildings to house the additional expanded equipment.

Everything is great for a couple of years, until they start with the smiley face. They come in and tell you what they will pay for your product, because there are off shore companies that will make the same product for less.

So now you are not making 37.22 cents on your product, but going in the hole 2 cents each. Well, for a while, you try to make it on the earnings of the former years, but to no avail. You even try to contact those companies that you dropped three years ago to focus on walmart, but they have either quit carrying what you made, or gone overseas when you dropped them for walmart. So they are not interested.

Now, you have got 40 million dollars in debt because of your expansion, 1100 employees that you really dont want to let go, or cut their already low wage, so what do you do?

Walmart is the school house bully of retail. Where ever there is competition, they will have low prices. Without? Watch the prices go up and up until someone else comes in again, when they drop those prices.

There are times when what I am needing can only be found at walmart. But those times are rare. And it is very rare that I ever shop there. But there are hundreds of millions that will spend hundreds of dollars a week there. Every week.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I read the Teamster publications. It's not UPS that is the cash cow. It's the 22 bus drivers in Topeka KS or the 17 policeman in Butte MT or the 37 warehouse workers at Burp Beverages in Hayward WI that carry the union:sad-very::greedy:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yup, its those 76 employees that saved up the millions of dollars it took to right the good ship central states.

You are trying to sing the virtues of unionism. While they still present some improvement on certain issues (the days of actually making the work place a better place is long over) for some employees, in many ways, it is a step backward. The unions are finding they need to reinvent themselves to where people actually want to belong.

What I have found to be more the case is that if a business treats its emplyees bad, they continue to treat them bad after unionization. Voting in a union does not change a bosshole.

Back to the subject, had I not made the money I did at UPS, I would not have stayed at UPS, but instead gone elsewhere. Just as I have in retirement. I dont look to anyone to give me a damn thing, I earned everything I have ever gotten. Including the retirement.

BTW, it will be 2016 before I break even on the money it took to buy out my last three years of retirement. Money I had to put into the pot, out of my pocket. So please, spare me the union gave you everything you have and are spiel. It wont fly.

d

D

Dis-organized Labor

I personally ship UPS even when it is more expensive that the "Others".

I'm sure it come back to me (us) somehow/someway.