FedEx Town Hall

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If anyone needs evidence that FedEx upper management doesn't "get it", take a look at the new FedEx Town Hall, available on the corporate website. This is just another "canned" promotional piece, with a bunch of stiff, unhappy-looking, ethnically-diverse employees sitting at attention while management tells them how much "FedEx Cares", and how appreciated their efforts are.

SOS, re-packaged and re-formulated in a vain attempt to have us buy-off on this garbage. About the only thing that's different is that the "suits" are wearing sports jackets, probably in an attempt to "relate" to us lowly hourlies. In fact, most of the audience are dressed better than the hosts. "Let's see, do we have enough Asians, or should we add another", and "make sure that the African-Americans have plenty of camera time". Effing fake...every step of the way.

This whole show is completely staged and rehearsed. There is nothing spontaneous about it, and hosts Goober and Gomer begin the show with a disclaimer that the actual questions employees had, weren't going to be answered verbatim. What does that tell you?

If they really wanted to get the pulse of the workforce, the meeting would be live, and completely open to any questions. Oh, but no, we couldn't do that, could we? Someone in the crowd might ask something truly embarassing to the company. OMG!!!

If that were to occur, we'd see some of the genuine anger and frustration real employees feel about this company, and not a fake in-house production like "Town Hall" that is nothing but a pro-FedEx infommercial. As phony as a three dollar bill and as honest as a politician. Right up Fred's alley.

Sorry, but it's not going to work. Keep trying to sell us the same old crap, OK?

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
By definition, selling the same old crap is working if nothing is changing.

It isn't working, but that isn't stopping them. If you were at Express, you'd easily recognize it. Only the most brain-washed are even remotely interested. It's 2011, and they're still trying to sell us a Yugo.

bbsam

Staff member
They don't care of you buy it or not. They just want you to keep shopping for just a little while longer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They don't care of you buy it or not. They just want you to keep shopping for just a little while longer.

Actually, they are losing so many people that they probably have to care. What's amazing is that they aren't willing to change any of the factors that contribute to employees quitting. What they're pitching is a "new and improved" Yugo that hasn't been redesigned at all. Same crap car, just painted a new color.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
No turn over at Ground! Are you kidding? Do you really believe this BbSCAM? Every Ground driver I have ever spoken with in person(it's harder to lie in person) have said that they have incredibly high turn over at Ground.

Besides I don't need to take someones word on this topic, all I need to do is recall the countless Ground drivers I have seen in my area.

Some times SCAM you even amaze me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No turn over at Ground! Are you kidding? Do you really believe this BbSCAM? Every Ground driver I have ever spoken with in person(it's harder to lie in person) have said that they have incredibly high turn over at Ground.

Besides I don't need to take someones word on this topic, all I need to do is recall the countless Ground drivers I have seen in my area.

I tend to agree with you. Ground turnover seems quite high.

quadro

If anyone needs evidence that FedEx upper management doesn't "get it", take a look at the new FedEx Town Hall, available on the corporate website. This is just another "canned" promotional piece, with a bunch of stiff, unhappy-looking, ethnically-diverse employees sitting at attention while management tells them how much "FedEx Cares", and how appreciated their efforts are.

SOS, re-packaged and re-formulated in a vain attempt to have us buy-off on this garbage. About the only thing that's different is that the "suits" are wearing sports jackets, probably in an attempt to "relate" to us lowly hourlies. In fact, most of the audience are dressed better than the hosts. "Let's see, do we have enough Asians, or should we add another", and "make sure that the African-Americans have plenty of camera time". Effing fake...every step of the way.
I haven't looked at this yet so I can't comment on the contents but it's interesting that you decided to bring race into the discussion. There are people who are not white or caucasian who work at FedEx so why wouldn't there be people who aren't white or caucasian included in this? Are you xenophobic?

You may be right about upper management not getting it and you may be right about the show being staged and rehearsed but as soon as you unnecessarily bring in the race of the participants you lose a lot of credibility.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

This whole show is completely staged and rehearsed. There is nothing spontaneous about it, and hosts Goober and Gomer begin the show with a disclaimer that the actual questions employees had, weren't going to be answered verbatim. What does that tell you?

If they really wanted to get the pulse of the workforce, the meeting would be live, and completely open to any questions. Oh, but no, we couldn't do that, could we? Someone in the crowd might ask something truly embarassing to the company. OMG!!!

If that were to occur, we'd see some of the genuine anger and frustration real employees feel about this company, and not a fake in-house production like "Town Hall" that is nothing but a pro-FedEx infommercial. As phony as a three dollar bill and as honest as a politician. Right up Fred's alley.

Sorry, but it's not going to work. Keep trying to sell us the same old crap, OK?

Why do they even bother with this BS anyway?

bbsam

Staff member

Maybe we just do it better in our building.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I haven't looked at this yet so I can't comment on the contents but it's interesting that you decided to bring race into the discussion. There are people who are not white or caucasian who work at FedEx so why wouldn't there be people who aren't white or caucasian included in this? Are you xenophobic?

You may be right about upper management not getting it and you may be right about the show being staged and rehearsed but as soon as you unnecessarily bring in the race of the participants you lose a lot of credibility

Actually, this MFE is spot-on. They have to make sure that they represent a "diverse cross section" of the lower level (maybe corporate wide) work force. If you see nothing but caucasians, then there is the possibility of causing tensions in other ethnic groups, and vice versa. Personally, I think it would be better if they used Fluppets (these are faux-Muppets..not bad considering I just woke up..lol). By doing so, there is no possibility of upsetting the proverbial "apple cart".

Anything they produce is just propaganda is hyperbole.

whenIgetthere

What is the website, can't seem to locate it.

FedExer267

This reminds me of a movie I watched years ago where the bad guys held a press conference and the crowd cheered on because of the applause sign and the machine guns pointed towards them. LMAO

quadro

Actually, this MFE is spot-on. They have to make sure that they represent a "diverse cross section" of the lower level (maybe corporate wide) work force. If you see nothing but caucasians, then there is the possibility of causing tensions in other ethnic groups, and vice versa. Personally, I think it would be better if they used Fluppets (these are faux-Muppets..not bad considering I just woke up..lol). By doing so, there is no possibility of upsetting the proverbial "apple cart".

Anything they produce is just propaganda is hyperbole.
I think you missed the point. Regardless of anything else, there is a diverse cross section of people at FedEx so why wouldn't there be a diverse cross section in the audience? The fact that MFE decides to even bring it up just lowers his credibility. If the audience had not been diverse, then I agree it would be an issue.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I understand the point that MFE is trying to make, we have the issue at UPS. By no means am I trying to point out any thing to make an issue about it, but its the fact. The UPS that I am exposed to is primarily made up of Caucasian and Mexican males. Now we do have woman of various ethnicities and small mix of other nationalities. How ever with that said the management ranks and our calenders definitely do not represent those statistics.

We do live in a P.C. world and anyone who denies that has their head in the sand.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You may be right about upper management not getting it and you may be right about the show being staged and rehearsed but as soon as you unnecessarily bring in the race of the participants you lose a lot of credibility.

Anything to discredit me, huh? My point is that FedEx is carefully adjusting the "audience" to show how absolutely culturally diverse and wonderful they are. It's completely phony, just like the Diversity Appeal publication. It's all about appearances and "selling" the idea that FedEx embraces diversity. Numerous lawsuits say otherwise.

I'm Caucasian, but my wife is not and neither are my kids. Is your household that diverse? Stick your "xenophobic" tag where it belongs. Make sure it doesn't get jammed up there, OK? What an absolute jerk.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you missed the point. Regardless of anything else, there is a diverse cross section of people at FedEx so why wouldn't there be a diverse cross section in the audience? The fact that MFE decides to even bring it up just lowers his credibility. If the audience had not been diverse, then I agree it would be an issue.

You missed the point, which is that this is a completely artificial "audience". While you're ironing your robe and hood for tonight's ride through Shelby County, consider how utterly fake this production will seem to you when you actually view it. You're making commentary on something you know nothing about, which is very typical behavior.