FedEx Will Shun Most Home Holiday Fees, Unlike UPS

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
FedEx Will Shun Most Home Holiday Fees, Unlike UPS - Bloomberg
  • Package-delivery giants plan differing approaches to pricing
  • Jump in online shopping fuels shipment of more oversized goods

FedEx Corp. will forgo most holiday surcharges on home deliveries this year, drawing a contrast with plans for stepped-up fees at United Parcel Service Inc. amid a surge in online shopping.

Additional holiday charges will only be applied to packages that are big or bulky enough to require special handling, FedEx said in a statement Thursday. UPS’s extra levies will bump up the cost of residential deliveries by about 3 percent.

The divergent fee structures represent sharply different approaches at the couriers, which have been contending with a rush of home deliveries as e-commerce continues to expand. FedEx may be able to woo small businesses or individual shippers away from UPS, where they’d have to pay the extra fee, said Kevin Sterling, a Seaport Global Holdings analyst.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
As usual, FedEx thinks about the customers, UPS thinks about their stockbrokers.
This company is eroding.
I hope this decision doesn't come back to bite them in the ass... I would think ups probably thought FedEx would follow with something similar....guess not!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I highly doubt Fedex is thinking about their customers. If so, that's a rarity anymore. They are all for the shareholders also.
The shipping companies are in the customer service industry.
Serving the most people SHOULD make you more money.
Even the slightest sense of a deal will make the customer want to come and use you.

As a stockholder myself, why wouldn't I want my customer base to expand.
UPS's problem is that they don't want to expand their payroll/facilities to accommodate more revenue so they upcharge the shippers.
FEDEX benefits while UPS counts on wringing every last drop of blood from their own employees.
As an employee, I'm disappointed.

worldwide

As usual, FedEx thinks about the customers, UPS thinks about their stockbrokers.
This company is eroding.

Thinking about their customers? They are charging more for additional handling by $3 per package (UPS does not have this peak surcharge), oversize charge is an extra $25 per package (UPS charge is $24), and for unauthorized shipments by $300 per package (UPS charge is $249). Oversize packages make up 10% of FedEx Ground volume. UPS is charging for residential shipments during certain periods while FedEx is not, that is true. FedEx has a much lower percentage of residential packages in their system than UPS but a higher number of oversize and additional handling packages so they are simply putting in surcharges where it is beneficial to help them cover additional costs just as UPS is doing the same.

If you think FedEx is not thinking about their stockholders, you are mistaken. They are just better than UPS at spinning negative news and Fred S is the king of smoke & mirrors.

Apparently, however, some of their drivers were thinking of their customers (or maybe just themselves) when FedEx Freight drivers rejected the Teamsters in Pennsylvania and voted to decertify in North Carolina.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Thinking about their customers? They are charging more for additional handling by $3 per package (UPS does not have this peak surcharge), oversize charge is an extra $25 per package (UPS charge is $24), and for unauthorized shipments by $300 per package (UPS charge is $249). Oversize packages make up 10% of FedEx Ground volume. UPS is charging for residential shipments during certain periods while FedEx is not, that is true. FedEx has a much lower percentage of residential packages in their system than UPS but a higher number of oversize and additional handling packages so they are simply putting in surcharges where it is beneficial to help them cover additional costs just as UPS is doing the same.

If you think FedEx is not thinking about their stockholders, you are mistaken. They are just better than UPS at spinning negative news and Fred S is the king of smoke & mirrors.

Apparently, however, some of their drivers were thinking of their customers (or maybe just themselves) when FedEx Freight drivers rejected the Teamsters in Pennsylvania and voted to decertify in North Carolina.
don't listen to hef, if you told him UPS was run by vampires and werewolves he'd believe it