Feeder driver has man dive under truck

City Driver

sadly i can see the driver getting disciplined over this

some idiot who has never worked outside an office will decide it was all his fault

redshift1

This happen yesterday in East bay district. This could happen to any of us. My sympathy goes out to the driver who now has to deal with this.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090611/A_NEWS02/90610010/-1/A_NEWS

This happened in Cerritos about 20 years ago when a street person took his clothes off and jumped in front of a package car going about 45-50. Obviously killed instantly and ruled a suicide by police. The driver was terminated and did not seek reinstatement.

Jim Kemp

Could the driver recite the "poems" word for word? In our center the manager would be out on the scene asking you to repeat them verbatim, if you can't he will threaten you with termination.

Camping Nana

This happened in Cerritos about 20 years ago when a street person took his clothes off and jumped in front of a package car going about 45-50. Obviously killed instantly and ruled a suicide by police. The driver was terminated and did not seek reinstatement.

There HAS to be more to this story than just this short sentence...... I don't believe that would hold up in a lawsuit!

Channahon

What a tragic and sad situation for the driver, and the person, who took his own life in this manner.

In this case, the driver, could not have known a person, was going to dive under the rear wheels to end his life.

My brother lives in central Wisconsin, and told me a people out there, will pull out in front of a semi for the same purpose.

Scary world out there right now, as stories like this may have a connection to the recession.

wrecker

That happened to a friend of mine who is an otr driver a few years ago. He sued the guy's estate because of emotional distress or something and got a pile of money. Bought a new tractor with the cash.

I'm pretty sure my driving career would be over if that ever happened to me.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
This is an unavoidable accident no different than if a deer ran out and you plowed it. The driver will not be at fault for this. If he is, he should make sure the :censored2: from safety that charges him with an avoidable accident is the next thing that ends up underneath his tandems.

I have no sympathy for the dead guy. He got what he wanted. Hopefully the driver will let the situation roll right off of him.

raceanoncr

Very sad for man's family. Prayers go out for them and feeder driver that was involved. It will affect him and his family for a long time.

over9five

Staff member
I have no sympathy for the dead guy. He got what he wanted. Hopefully the driver will let the situation roll right off of him.

I wouldn't have said it quite that way.....

...but I totally agree. The suicide person made his own call, and it would not affect me very much or very long. I am not the kind of person who would try to take some kind of misguided responsibility for another persons actions.

redshift1

As I remember it he was on probation for previous accidents and emotionally unable to continue driving. I thought his firing was unfair but the previous accidents played strongly against him

P

pickup

I wouldn't have said it quite that way.....

...but I totally agree. The suicide person made his own call, and it would not affect me very much or very long. I am not the kind of person who would try to take some kind of misguided responsibility for another persons actions.

agreed with EVERYTHING stated above.

Camping Nana

As I remember it he was on probation for previous accidents and emotionally unable to continue driving. I thought his firing was unfair but the previous accidents played strongly against him

See - this makes more sense, if he was on probation. I can totally understand his being emotionally unable to continue driving.

Channanon - my reference to lawsuit was that if they terminated him for someone "jumping in front of this car" , if he chose to fight the termination - I don't believe that the termination would hold up in a suit.

Camping Nana

My thoughts and prayers go out to this driver -

DH was involved in an accident several years ago - Package car vs motorcycle. Totally unavoidable and not DH's fault in any way, shape or fashion! Fortunately, the m/c rider did not die - however, I well remember the trauma in hubby's voice when he called me to tell me about it - before he knew if the guy would survive or not. Our experience with UPS management during that time was VERY good. They were all so supportive and understanding - DH was a good driver with a good record and there was never any harassment over it - so I have a hard time relating to some of the comments here - We must have had a great management team! :happy2: Feel sorry for you guys that don't.