Feeder Driver (Where to begin)

JP1973

So hears the deal. I'm 44 and don't want to die behind the wheel of a truck at age 80, if I make it that long. I had a sweet local gig and in February I broke my ankle riding Motocross. My recovery took 5 months and my position was filled. No one to blame but myself but I'm not going to live life in fear. Anyway, is it worth it for someone like myself to start at the bottom? I'm currently running OTR but I'm home every other day. To be honest I hate it.

So, the question is. If I were to chase down this elusive feeder position is starting as a P/T package handler my only option. I'm considering USPS as a carrier also.

I've read a good deal on here so please go easy on me. I have over a million miles under my belt and most of these truck driving jobs are demoralizing at best.

So hears the deal. I'm 44 and don't want to die behind the wheel of a truck at age 80, if I make it that long. I had a sweet local gig and in February I broke my ankle riding Motocross. My recovery took 5 months and my position was filled. No one to blame but myself but I'm not going to live life in fear. Anyway, is it worth it for someone like myself to start at the bottom? I'm currently running OTR but I'm home every other day. To be honest I hate it.

So, the question is. If I were to chase down this elusive feeder position is starting as a P/T package handler my only option. I'm considering USPS as a carrier also.

I've read a good deal on here so please go easy on me. I have over a million miles under my belt and most of these truck driving jobs are demoralizing at best.
If you don't mind waiting 20 years to become a feeder

JP1973

So basically it's impossible to get hired off the street and starting from the bottom would take 20 years in Phoenix? Super!

542thruNthru

You have a slim chance of becoming feeder right off the street. Not saying it can't happen but it's slim. Other then that you'd have to wait your turn.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If you don't mind waiting 20 years to become a feeder
Wow... are you taking over for dave as the new "spokesman" for anybody new that comes on here with questions??? How will you keep up as the master of ceremonies in fluff when you have to be a spokesperson for the whole site....???

Dhydratd

Every job at UPS is based on seniority. As a part time worker, you can bid on a full time position, but seniority rules. If there are only 5 positions available and you are 6th in line then you are S.O.L. It could take you years to become full time and then possibly decades to have enough seniority to bid to feeders.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You have a slim chance of becoming feeder right off the street. Not saying it can't happen but it's slim. Other then that you'd have to wait your turn.
I heard stories about feeder hiring in the 80's when they were wrapped around the block waiting to interview to get on with ups feeder/package

JP1973

Our building just brought in 12 feeder drivers off the street.

There are some states where I've seen the job available but I've been watching Phoenix for the better part of a year daily and no dice. You would think with all the growth here there would be a demand.