Feeder Drivers:4×10 route or standard 5 day?

MaceFremonti

Recently coming from package I like the 4x10s....especially when the sort at TA always finishes up early or on time and you get paid for 10 even though you only worked 9.25...almost like bonus in feeders....and you get an extra day off to cut the grass etc....less overtime but that extra mental health/familyday really is priceless!

Which do you prefer and why?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
There is a reason UPS wants 4X10. And it's not for our benefit. Why give up overtime after 8HRS? I wouldn't touch one of these things with a ten foot pole. I came back to feeders to make money, not give it up.

GameCockFan

I love it. Work 4 X12. 8hrs overtime. More time off. Can usually work your day off if you want. I don't. Last time I did got 59.5. That week seemed to last forever. It does save UPS money. Requires another driver for every 4 runs, so more expense for benefits but saves $600-$700 a week in overtime.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Your numbers don't add up. 4x12 is 48. And if the priority is only to work 4 days, then why work the 5th day? If you worked only 8 hours on the 5th day, you've just worked 48 hours, ot-free. And if you worked 59 hours during a week of working 4x10's, you're leaving a lot of overtime on the table.

These jobs are a give-back to UPS, nothing more, and whoever in the union approved this should be fired.

Whatever it might be ,Drac, guys will take it. Some because here simply burned out. I would. They might call it 4/10 but at my barn it would be 4/12s anyway. So I'll take the 8 ot and be happy.

My only concern would be that the off days rotate. No one should get Mondays or Fridays more than the next driver regardless of seniority.

MaceFremonti

I actually like havimg Wednesday as the SDO. work 2 days...off....work 2 days....off...rinse and repeat.

Drac...if you work your SDO or 5th.day its OT all day....Where I am now most of these runs would get close to going over 60 hours if they were a 5 route that's why they were put in....

1080Driver

As a package driver, I'd love the opportunity for 4/10's. Having that extra day off would be sweeeeeeeet & there'd still be enough OT for me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your numbers don't add up. 4x12 is 48. And if the priority is only to work 4 days, then why work the 5th day? If you worked only 8 hours on the 5th day, you've just worked 48 hours, ot-free. And if you worked 59 hours during a week of working 4x10's, you're leaving a lot of overtime on the table.

These jobs are a give-back to UPS, nothing more, and whoever in the union approved this should be fired.

4x12 would be 8 hours OT. Working 8 on the 5th day would all be OT. 16 hours OT for the week.

Uncle Sam thanks you for your donation.

trouble maker

That's a big +1 Dracula. I'm also here to make money.

GameCockFan

Your numbers don't add up. 4x12 is 48

which is exactly what i said. (I love it. Work 4 X12. 8hrs overtime. More time off.)

. And if the priority is only to work 4 days, then why work the 5th day? If you worked only 8 hours on the 5th day, you've just worked 48 hours, ot-free. And if you worked 59 hours during a week of working 4x10's, you're leaving a lot of overtime on the table.

That is my priority, which is why I stated "Can usually work your day off if you want. I don't." If you worked 4X10 (40 hrs) the 5th day would all be OT. Anything over 40 in a week is OT. If I worked 59hrs I get 19hrs overtime. I don't leave anything on the table. It's not possible to work 59 hrs in 4 days without violating.

They save the company money. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I get more time off. That is a good thing. It puts another dues paying feeder driver on the road. Good for the union. I work in an extended center. It would be hard for some of the drivers, including me, to stay under 60hrs if I worked 5 days. I don't want to work 60hrs. My route is a little less than 500 miles round trip. I have to wait until the sort goes down. Any problems, road construction, accidents, late sort would likely put me over 60.

My numbers add up fine. I don't think you understand how it works.