Feeder meal break

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I have been told that i have to follow the contract and ups guidelines for meal break rest period. Even though you could satisfy dot guidelines by using your break.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I have been told that i have to follow the contract and ups guidelines for meal break rest period. Even though you could satisfy dot guidelines by using your break.

I've seen when they edit my time card, on top It has says something like exceeded 70mph and did not take negotiated break period.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our buildings have 2 jobs that do not have enough time in the schedules for a full 60 minute break/meal. The best I have done on one is 40 minutes and 45 minutes on the other. At peak, no one said anything about not taking a full unpaid meal. Message was posted in January that all had to take their full meal and break again. Too many dairy farmers.

ManInBrown

Our buildings have 2 jobs that do not have enough time in the schedules for a full 60 minute break/meal. The best I have done on one is 40 minutes and 45 minutes on the other. At peak, no one said anything about not taking a full unpaid meal. Message was posted in January that all had to take their full meal and break again. Too many dairy farmers.
What do you mean not enough time? That’s not the way it works. The way the schedule is set up isn’t your problem. That’s their problem.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
er what?

ManInBrown

You dont not take a meal when it’s convenient for them. You take one every day. Some of my favorite days in package before I got my bid route were messaging them that I was going to have 25 missed business savers because I needed to take meal. Used to cover a terrible route that went out with 95 stops and had 40 Pickups. 70 of the 95 were business stops. Moral of the story is whether feeder or package, youre not the dispatcher. It’s not your problem how they set the schedule or route up. Take meal between hour 3 and 5. I can tell you right now if you don’t, especially in package, they’re laughing at you in the morning when they are going over everyone’s day, look at Johnny, took his meal at 6pm because he was afraid to have missed stops. Lolol. They know you’re sucker #1 and they got you.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Take meal between hour 3 and 5

In feeders I almost never take meal before hour 6 or 7. I rarely get an extension, but, if I have to for some reason I'm not going to take an extra 30 because I took my meal too early in the day.

We have some runs that you need to take your full hour because they have a late pickup on them and you have time to kill. However, if I'm driving 300 miles to a meet point and the other driver is already there, I don't see how me not taking an hour makes one but of difference. It most likely will be a night load and I'll be off duty 6 hours before the trailer is sorted.

If I were in package I absolutely agree that you can/should use meal to adjust your daily dispatch.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
My boss says I have to take a full hour meal....I get paid to do what he tells me.

I'm on daily coverage almost every week so I will often be called in at the last minute to run to a railyard 200+ miles away for a load that was somehow missed or called in at the last minute to meet an extra air load because SDFAS went into an extra trailer.

If you were in this situation, would you feel it's fine for your boss to say you must take an hour meal everyday unless they call and beg you to take 30 and get back ASAP so the load doesn't miss a sort? I'm put in this situation at least 3-4 times a year and the minute they write me up for taking less than an hour, they absolutely know they will be wasting a phone call begging me to take 30 and get back ASAP. They can't have it both ways.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm on daily coverage almost every week so I will often be called in at the last minute to run to a railyard 200+ miles away for a load that was somehow missed or called in at the last minute to meet an extra air load because SDFAS went into an extra trailer.

If you were in this situation, would you feel it's fine for your boss to say you must take an hour meal everyday unless they call and beg you to take 30 and get back ASAP so the load doesn't miss a sort? I'm put in this situation at least 3-4 times a year and the minute they write me up for taking less than an hour, they absolutely know they will be wasting a phone call begging me to take 30 and get back ASAP. They can't have it both ways.

I used to tell tell them we can do it your way or my way with the lunch BS
But, we are going to do it the same everyday

govols019

You smell that?

I take my full hour every single day regardless of what situation they've put themselves in.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I take my full hour every single day regardless of what situation they've put themselves in.

To me this job is a paycheck so the less time I'm here while unpaid, the happier I am. This isn't package where that hour can impact your work schedule on a day basis.

It looks like about 25% of our feeder department is crushing on each other. I'm not even joking when some of our little cliques talk in dispatch, talk at meet points, take meals together, talk in the wash tunnel, talk at the fuel pumps, park their tractors next to each other and walk out together every single day. And when they aren't face to face they have a circle jerk conference call going. I'm happy they've found companionship at work but I get mine at home, which is why I don't like taking an hour if unnecessary.:ninja3:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
To me this job is a paycheck so the less time I'm here while unpaid, the happier I am. This isn't package where that hour can impact your work schedule on a day basis.

It looks like about 25% of our feeder department is crushing on each other. I'm not even joking when some of our little cliques talk in dispatch, talk at meet points, take meals together, talk in the wash tunnel, talk at the fuel pumps, park their tractors next to each other and walk out together every single day. And when they aren't face to face they have a circle jerk conference call going. I'm happy they've found companionship at work but I get mine at home, which is why I don't like taking an hour if unnecessary.:ninja3:
It sounds like you're mad at people for having friends.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
It sounds like you're mad at people for having friends.

It's frustrating to work 13+ hours and have to wait on 2-3 guys milking the clock while talking in the wash tunnel or blocking all the fuel pumps while talking. Wash yo s&!t and exit, don't wash it and then stand around and talk for 10 minutes while a handful of other drivers are waiting to use the wash. Those drivers are the reason our wash tunnel gets shut down every few months.

Personally, I come to work to do my job, not be a social butterfly. I do that on my own time and with much prettier company.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's frustrating to work 13+ hours and have to wait on 2-3 guys milking the clock while talking in the wash tunnel or blocking all the fuel pumps while talking. Wash yo s&!t and exit, don't wash it and then stand around and talk for 10 minutes while a handful of other drivers are waiting to use the wash. Those drivers are the reason our wash tunnel gets shut down every few months.

Personally, I come to work to do my job, not be a social butterfly. I do that on my own time and with much prettier company.
Well, folks being inconsiderate is whole nother issue and I agree with you on that. For what it's worth I've never had a problem saying something to a driver who's blocking up the yard for no discernable reason. I did like talking to my buddies on the phone while I was driving up and down the road though.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I did like talking to my buddies on the phone while I was driving up and down the road though.

I should have been more clear. I have no issue with them talking on the phone and speak to a handful of drivers myself on an almost daily basis. I guess I don't understand the need to block up dispatch and the wash tunnel talking if you're on a conference call with the other drivers all day long.

Johney

How about the A-whole who spends so much time in the auto side of the car wash using a scrub brush to scrub with the brush even the treads of his twin screw tractor when all I want to do is drive in, push the button and drive through.