Feeder the same as UPS Freight

CoolStoryBro

What is the difference?

UPS feeder primarily haul from UPS hub to another UPS hub. Some UPS feeder deliver packages or do pickups. Think "small package." amazon boxes that a normal ups dude delivers.

UPS freight deliver large items on pallets to companies. Stuff that's too big or heavy for a regular UPS dude to deliver.

That's simplified but close enough.

Thanks for the info, I am currently a deliver driver but thinking about trying to get into management field and I saw openings for both feeders and freight. If you had to pick one of them to try and get into it would be the feeders?

MC0493

I do work here, in a nutshell that is an answer. One is ups, (feeders, package). The other is freight which is a separate company.

sppollock

Thanks for the info, I am currently a deliver driver but thinking about trying to get into management field and I saw openings for both feeders and freight. If you had to pick one of them to try and get into it would be the feeders?

If you try to get into feeders at this time of year it is a temporary position, they rarely hire feeder drivers off the street, at freight you will get hired off the street to immediately start driving.

At freight we deliver big stuff as stated earlier mostly to business customers, we also take our big trucks into residential areas to deliver bigger freight such as grills, full size couches and things of that size.

If your looking to get into management run away, I have never seen a company that treats there mid level management worse then they do here. This is the observation I see, its not the same way all over but it is here in my area.

maxicoze

i might be switching to feeder (from freight) in a few weeks, so i may be able to give a very detailed contrast between the two.

Basically, as stated above, with feeder you are towing the doubles between hubs of UPS small pack----small packages that the little brown trucks will eventually deliver to the final destination. With freight, you'll be towing the doubles between freight terminals. With freight, we generally handle stuff that can't be hand carried (generally)---palletized stuff---lawmowers, washing machines etc.

Two totally different and separate companies under the UPS umbrella. Two totally different atmospheres; i would NEVER work for small pack unless it was linehaul OR if parcel van MINIMUM $2500 PER WEEK.
-----i think feeder linehaul pays better than freight linehaul.

Now, based on my observation i would unfortunately agree with the other observation concerning managment; ALL the managers except one at my terminal have left.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Who do you deliver drive for? Pizza Hut? It can't be UPS (unless you're a brand new seasonal driver) if you don't know the difference between freight and feeders. If you're looking to get into the management field, you should be asking managers what the differences may be. I think there's a former freight manager(supervisor?) on here who is now declaring holy war against the incorporated states of america. He'll give you some insight, I'm sure. There's more than a few small package managers on here who can give you some info.