Feeder to Package

Hi there
Long time listener first time caller!

I was hired on as a seasonal feeder off the street in June and am currently about 10 days shy of completing my probation period for FT. I've read that some package drivers have gone up to feeders, but does it work the other way around? I am in the central region. Its just a question, so no need to ask 'why do that feedahs iz gravy werk!'

Thanks guy!

brownrod

rules probably depend on what local you are in. around here I would suppose that once you have full time seniority you can sign bids for new package driver... However, around here you have to be in feeders for 3 years before they will let you go to another job.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I don't know if it's against the rules or not but I've seen it happen. Someone work a year in feeders then bug management until they send them to package.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If feeders has too many drivers available the overflow is sent down to PC until feeders needs them again .
Some never go back .

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Around here if there's a new job/permanent vacancy in package it gets bid for all pcd's in the building. If no one takes it or if filling it creates another vacancy then that job gets bid for all FT employees in the building including feeder drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ours is a smaller center with just one seniority list. Anyone who qualifies can bid on either feeder or package or can bid on any openings that come up between bid cycles.

I had a feeder driver who had bid on a package job ride with me for a day to get a feel for what he was getting himself in to. He wanted to get out of feeders as he was tired of having to work at night. He did really well and started his 30 days the following week; unfortunately, he had an accident pulling the PC out of the building and had to go back to feeder and working nights. He can try again in a year.

Johney

Ours is a smaller center with just one seniority list. Anyone who qualifies can bid on either feeder or package or can bid on any openings that come up between bid cycles.

I had a feeder driver who had bid on a package job ride with me for a day to get a feel for what he was getting himself in to. He wanted to get out of feeders as he was tired of having to work at night. He did really well and started his 30 days the following week; unfortunately, he had an accident pulling the PC out of the building and had to go back to feeder and working nights. He can try again in a year.
Can drive a feeder with no problem, but crashes a p/c? Wow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can drive a feeder with no problem, but crashes a p/c? Wow.

That was my first thought.

The PC for the training route is parked in one of our tougher lanes to get in and out of. You can't just pull out as there is a support pole on one side and a wall on the other.

What had happened was the sup was supposed to drive but he had to deal with a last minute issue so he tossed the keys to the driver to have him pull the car out so they would be ready to go once the issue had been resolved. The driver then proceeded to wrap the rear of the car around the pole. He then tried to blame it on the sup, saying that he was supposed to drive as it was within the 1st 3 days. To make matters worse, his was the first of two accidents that day (we had a driver rip a fuel nozzle off of the hose at an off-site gas station) and our district safety czar just happened to be on site.

S

selfcancelsignal

Hi there
Long time listener first time caller!

I was hired on as a seasonal feeder off the street in June and am currently about 10 days shy of completing my probation period for FT. I've read that some package drivers have gone up to feeders, but does it work the other way around? I am in the central region. Its just a question, so no need to ask 'why do that feedahs iz gravy werk!'

Thanks guy!
One of the guys I went to driving school with was in the process of doing this. The instructor thought he was nuts. The guy said he wanted more regular hours to be with his family & excercise. He looked like he was already in pretty good shape, so probably hadn't been in feeders too long. Haha.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

S

selfcancelsignal

That was my first thought.

The PC for the training route is parked in one of our tougher lanes to get in and out of. You can't just pull out as there is a support pole on one side and a wall on the other.

What had happened was the sup was supposed to drive but he had to deal with a last minute issue so he tossed the keys to the driver to have him pull the car out so they would be ready to go once the issue had been resolved. The driver then proceeded to wrap the rear of the car around the pole. He then tried to blame it on the sup, saying that he was supposed to drive as it was within the 1st 3 days. To make matters worse, his was the first of two accidents that day (we had a driver rip a fuel nozzle off of the hose at an off-site gas station) and our district safety czar just happened to be on site.
Ah... The ol' rip the nozzle & hose off the gas pump trick. LMFAO. Stopped at a gas station an hour from home once while coming back from a roadtrip with a buddy of mine, & some lady had just done this. As I exited the restroom, she came in, nozzle in hand, & told the clerk she was really sorry, but had just done this. His response was so priceless. He was a larger, kinda sloppy looking guy & nonchalantly says, "Well that's no good." I couldn't get outta there fast enough as uncontrollable laughter ensued. The worst part is, I have to admit, in my younger, much dumber days, I actually did this once myself. LMAO.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
rules probably depend on what local you are in. around here I would suppose that once you have full time seniority you can sign bids for new package driver... However, around here you have to be in feeders for 3 years before they will let you go to another job.
You have to remain feeder qualified for 3 years. Not stay in feeders for 3 years. You can bid package car jobs. The only difference is that if there is an open feeder job that no one else wants, and you are the junior feeder driver, you are forced to take that job.

Most supplements require a percentage of package car drivers to be feeder qualified anyway for coverage. I know all about classification and package drivers getting first bids on package car jobs, but if the right scenario happened, a feeder driver can bid a package car job even within the first 3 years.

I was wanting to go package at first, I hadn't even applied for feeder, but after talking to a rep and hr about how feeder is desperate for drivers I took it. Was hired within a week and went ft within 2 months. Was the quickest way to get full-time which was most important at the time