Feeder training for CDL Holders

HFolb23

Ive been told that I’m going into feeders. I have a Class A w/ T endorsement already. I’m wondering what the process and expectation is going to be like. I’m being told I won’t have a training school because I have my CDL already. From reading here I thought feeder school was two weeks long, and a week long if you already have a CDL. Has that changed now? They told me it’s actually a 30 day qualification period. The feeder drivers in my center told me you lose points for things like not getting the trailer perfect on the dock or in between the lines or something.

I haven’t done a pre trip on a Class 8 tractor in years, other than some shifting in our yard I haven’t used a 10 speed in several years as well, I have never built a set of doubles before either. I know the basics on how to build and break down sets, just maybe not 100% by the book. Basically my concern is that I’m going to go in with all of the qualifications but none of the experience and get failed for it.

I can drive the trucks and park the trailers, I’m FT RPCD now but regularly fill in to shift the yard for our preload and move trailers for our night sort when needed. I remember how strict everything was at Integrad, worried that going into feeder qualifying will be the same standards and intensity of package qualifying without any of the training.

Realistically I have no concerns about being able jump in a tractor, connect a trailer, drive it to its destination and get it on the door. However, I’ve been at UPS long enough to know it can’t be that simple and that there will be many new rules, processes, and methods to learn. I was going to ask my center manager to spend a Saturday practicing but we don’t even have any manual tractors anymore. I can drive a manual car but haven’t touched a splitter in awhile. I even thought about trying to get a ride along with one of our feeder drivers but I doubt UPS would allow such a thing.

I have a feeling that I’m getting some inaccurate information, and that there is some type of training before qualifying, which is why I’m asking the experts here. Any input would be appreciated.

quad decade guy

Could you not qualify? Absolutely. Chances? Depends. Never built a set? If 100 lb. girls can do it.....you SHOULD be able to.........assuming you aren't a 100lb. girl now. Not that that matters. Feeders has lot's of ways to friend up. Usually because rookies have RPCD syndrome.

I had never payed any attention to Feeders for the first 30 years at UPS. Didn't care. Had not ever sat in one. Never double clutched anything. You have at least that advantage. I had 2 days training and took my test. And passed. This was my ticket to learn.

Will they "fail" you?

It depends.

Do what it takes to get through(within reason).

BTW, if you don't have manuals anymore, why worry about it? Do they send you somewhere? Bring in a manual from somewhere? You can't worry about what you don't have. I guess they could get a rental.....

Are there any other feeder drivers there? Every place is a little different.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you were here you would still get 2 weeks of training, you just wouldn't have to go get your CDL. 1st week is skills training- pre-trip, backing, building sets, handling the equipment safely on road and on the yard, filling out a logbook, etc. We took a written test every morning on material they gave us to study and you had to get a 100%. Make sure you know your DOK and can recite it verbatim.

If you pass the 1st week then you go to DMV and take your CDL test, you don't have to worry about that part.

2nd week is ojt where you learn all the things you have to do as a UPS feeder driver, using the IVIS, inbound/outbound procedures, dealing with dispatch, all that fun stuff. You'll be pulling live loads and working nights.
If you pass the 1st week they've already decided that they want you so you can relax a little bit, very rare to get dqed in your 2nd week unless you have an accident or something like that.

Like I said that's how they do it where I am, might be a little different where you are but probably not much.
Good luck.

ManInBrown

In the 177 school is one week. Sent to an outside company. 8 hours per day. Once you go thru school, the outside company takes you for your CDL. You get your license, you wait a period of time, and you get a date to report to feeders. You cannot be sent back to package. UPS feeders cannot disqualify you. They’re stuck with you. You can only disqualify yourself and decide to go back. There is no grading system. Once you have your CDL and you report to feeders that’s it. You have one week where you work alongside an on road sup. Don’t know how it works if you already have a CDL.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I have a feeling that I’m getting some inaccurate information, and that there is some type of training before qualifying, which is why I’m asking the experts here. Any input would be appreciated.
Your over thinking this.
You lose nothing by being disqualified. Don't worry about it.
This is why we have a union. If you feel you are not treated fairly File a grievance and make them prove you were treated fairly.
It would be incredible irresponsible of them to not train you.
At my hub CDL holders used to get 1 week of on road training.

10YR 4/6

Apparently feeder training varies by region. Where I’m at Feeder school is two weeks even if you have a CDL already. The instructors teach the UPS way to inspect, drive, assemble set, etc. The student must show they’re getting it the first week and that they’ve got it on the second. Although the second week is called the production week ( and you do get paid for it) there are no loads, just practice with empty’s. After passing the second week the driver gets a test scheduled with the DMV if they need it.

I do know of one CDL A holder RPCD who was sent back to package after the first week for not memorizing the pretrip well enough.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We had a delivery driver who was dqed twice, after the second time he paid money out of his own pocket to go to CDL school and get his class A before trying a 3rd time. They dqed him again.

ManInBrown

We had a delivery driver who was dqed twice, after the second time he paid money out of his own pocket to go to CDL school and get his class A before trying a 3rd time. They dqed him again.
Same here, the outside school they send us to includes two trips to DMV to pass test to get license. If you fail twice, you have to pay the School out of your own pocket for anything going forward. More training and additional trips to DMV with their equipment to get CDL license. If you eventually toss in the towel and go back to package you gave to reimburse UPS the money they paid to send you to the school. You also have to reimburse UPS the schooling money if you go back to package within the first year. Most don’t go back because after 30 days you lose package seniority. Feeder and package in the 177 are kept as separate classifications.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Same here, the outside school they send us to includes two trips to DMV to pass test to get license. If you fail twice, you have to pay the School out of your own pocket for anything going forward. More training and additional trips to DMV with their equipment to get CDL license. If you eventually toss in the towel and go back to package you gave to reimburse UPS the money they paid to send you to the school. You also have to reimburse UPS the schooling money if you go back to package within the first year. Most don’t go back because after 30 days you lose package seniority. Feeder and package in the 177 are kept as separate classifications.
They don't make you pay here if you keep dqing, this guy did that on his own. Guess he thought that would help him qualify. We don't lose our seniority for going back and forth but feeders here is a minimum 2 year commitment even if you just stay on the Q list.

HFolb23

Thank you everyone for your input.

As I said, I’m not getting a ton of information about it. Myself and a few other drivers (who also have the same Class A and T endorsement) had our letters of intent and got informed by our stewards and business agents that we were going into feeders. Something about new positions being created. I figured any new job would need to go up for bid but maybe not. I’ve been with UPS long enough to know not to really trust anything until it actually happens, but I’m hopefully optimistic, I’ve wanted to go into Feeders since I even started at UPS and it really would be exciting to see it happen.

My center has no manual tractors, but we also don’t have any spares meaning they’re going to be bringing in more tractors for these new positions, if feeders is anything like package we’ll wind up with whatever ancient rolling wreck the donating center chooses to hand over. Last time we borrowed PCs they came to us and we’re all immediately red tagged and ADA within a month or two.

Someone at my building mentioned that the first week was during the daytime, I’m assuming that would be some type of empty trailer practice like others have mentioned because in my center all of our live loads travel at night. None of our drivers have gone away for a school, but I remember seeing them with some sort of trainer or supervisor before when I worked the night sort.

Any tips you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. I rarely see our feeder drivers anymore and my BA and stewards have given me all the information they seem to know.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Any tips you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. I rarely see our feeder drivers anymore and my BA and stewards have given me all the information they seem to know.
Stop worrying about what ups might do and focus on preparing yourself. Learn the pretrip. Youtube videos. Dmv manual. Whatever works. I qualified 5 years after truck driving school. Never touched a tractor during that time. Passed road test. I made it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You got a big advantage already having your CDL and knowing how to handle the equipment. They'll teach you all the stuff they want you to know, just make sure you have your DOK memorized and don't hit anything.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thank you everyone for your input.

As I said, I’m not getting a ton of information about it. Myself and a few other drivers (who also have the same Class A and T endorsement) had our letters of intent and got informed by our stewards and business agents that we were going into feeders. Something about new positions being created. I figured any new job would need to go up for bid but maybe not. I’ve been with UPS long enough to know not to really trust anything until it actually happens, but I’m hopefully optimistic, I’ve wanted to go into Feeders since I even started at UPS and it really would be exciting to see it happen.

My center has no manual tractors, but we also don’t have any spares meaning they’re going to be bringing in more tractors for these new positions, if feeders is anything like package we’ll wind up with whatever ancient rolling wreck the donating center chooses to hand over. Last time we borrowed PCs they came to us and we’re all immediately red tagged and ADA within a month or two.

Someone at my building mentioned that the first week was during the daytime, I’m assuming that would be some type of empty trailer practice like others have mentioned because in my center all of our live loads travel at night. None of our drivers have gone away for a school, but I remember seeing them with some sort of trainer or supervisor before when I worked the night sort.

Did they mention anything about sleepers

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Training here, for someone without a CDL, is done all in house. 2 weeks. 1st week is unpaid and you’ll have your CDL at the end of the week if you pass. Our ORS administer the test. Never need to go to an outside school or test at the DMV. You pass, sup prints you out a certificate, give that to the DMV and they print your license. 2nd week is paid and you have an OR riding with you to various hubs. Pass week 2 and you’re on your own. I’m not sure if they let current CDL holders skip week 1 or not so I’m no help there.

We have the same DOK’s as you (RPCD) do although I gotta be honest I don’t think I was asked one time in my training week to recite the 5’s and 10’s. Feeder is strict on the pretrip like integrad is on the 5’s and 10’s for package, gotta know it inside and out. Being a CDL holder already, you should have a serviceable knowledge of it already. If not, YouTube helped me.

So you have a T endorsement but you’ve never built a set? That’s odd, but fine. They will go over that in training.

Only having automatics would hurt you if you didn’t already have your license. If you take the state exam in an auto, your license will have a restriction on it and you will only be licensed for automatics.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So you have a T endorsement but you’ve never built a set? That’s odd, but fine. They will go over that in training.
Don't know how it is in other places but in VA the only requirement for a doubles/triples endorsement is taking a mutiple choice test at the DMV when you get your learners permit. At no point do you ever have to actually build a set.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Don't know how it is in other places but in VA the only requirement for a doubles/triples endorsement is taking a mutiple choice test at the DMV when you get your learners permit. At no point do you ever have to actually build a set.
Yeah now that you mention it, I’m pretty sure it’s the same way here. It’s been a while.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Training here, for someone without a CDL, is done all in house. 2 weeks. 1st week is unpaid and you’ll have your CDL at the end of the week if you pass. Our ORS administer the test. Never need to go to an outside school or test at the DMV.

They used to do that in my Local.

The State came in and told them they had to make the training available to the public.

Ended that.

HFolb23

We have the same DOK’s as you (RPCD) do although I gotta be honest I don’t think I was asked one time in my training week to recite the 5’s and 10’s. Feeder is strict on the pretrip like integrad is on the 5’s and 10’s for package, gotta know it inside and out. Being a CDL holder already, you should have a serviceable knowledge of it already. If not, YouTube helped me.

That’s good to know about the DOKs. I struggled to learn the pretrip on the package car at integrad but I have been watching YouTube videos on the Feeder Pretrip and will continue to do so.

My state is just a written test for the endorsement, I knew my end goal was feeders so I took the doubles/triples test at the same time I took my permit test.

If you were here you would still get 2 weeks of training, you just wouldn't have to go get your CDL. 1st week is skills training- pre-trip, backing, building sets, handling the equipment safely on road and on the yard, filling out a logbook, etc. We took a written test every morning on material they gave us to study and you had to get a 100%. Make sure you know your DOK and can recite it verbatim.

If you pass the 1st week then you go to DMV and take your CDL test, you don't have to worry about that part.

2nd week is ojt where you learn all the things you have to do as a UPS feeder driver, using the IVIS, inbound/outbound procedures, dealing with dispatch, all that fun stuff. You'll be pulling live loads and working nights.
If you pass the 1st week they've already decided that they want you so you can relax a little bit, very rare to get dqed in your 2nd week unless you have an accident or something like that.

Like I said that's how they do it where I am, might be a little different where you are but probably not much.
Good luck.
Man that was way more training than I got my second week and I was an external hire with no UPS knowledge.