Feeders only..........

bluehdmc

Must be hard to get that in the building for a breakdown.:anxious:

Believe it or not some places have "drive thru" bays, makes it much easier particularly if you need something done to the back trailer on a set. They are rare but in a few hubs. Of course it must be accidental that it was done that way. Normal UPS planning would have taken the most "economical" approach, (of course this would be done by accts), and placed the shop in the middle of the building where feeder drivers have to dodge package cars while trying to back a 53' trailer in the shop to get a marker light replaced. Also the irreg carts would be cutting behind you to get to the belts on the other side.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
In the district i work in we cant pull triples. It would be nice though to go in a parking lot circle round and see if the back of the pup's lights are still working.

P

pickup

did u just find out about triples or what? i dont understand

theres a reason its called the doubles/triples endorsement

how bout this for a set of doubles

2717986686_5886b30816_b.jpg

and australia is crazy

that bimbo is well on her way of having more pups added to her litter

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I'm not a feeder so I'm asking this question. In the pics in this thread it looks like when pulling doubles you can attach a 40 footer to a 53 footer. Are there laws prohibiting pulling 2 -53 footers?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I'm not a feeder so I'm asking this question. In the pics in this thread it looks like when pulling doubles you can attach a 40 footer to a 53 footer. Are there laws prohibiting pulling 2 -53 footers?

From Wikipedia:

The United States also allows 2-axle tractors to tow two 1-axle 28.5-foot (8.7 m) semi-trailers known officially as STAA doubles and colloquially as doubles, a set, or a set of joints on all highways that are part of the National Network. The second trailer in a set of doubles uses a converter gear, also known as a con-gear or dolly. This apparatus supports the front half of the second trailer. Individual states may further allow longer vehicles (known as "longer combination vehicles" or LCVs), and may allow them to operate on roads other than those part of the National Network.
LCV types include:
  • Triples: Three 28.5-foot (8.7 m) trailers; maximum weight up to 129,000 pounds (58.5 t).
  • Turnpike Doubles: Two 48-foot (14.6 m) trailers; maximum weight up to 147,000 pounds (66.7 t)
  • Rocky Mountain Doubles: One 40 (12.2 m) to 53 (16.2 m) foot trailer (though usually no more than 48 feet) and one 28.5-foot (8.7 m) trailer (known as a "pup"); maximum weight up to 129,000 pounds (58.5 t)
  • In Canada, a Turnpike Double is two 53-foot trailers and a Rocky Mountain Double is a 50-foot trailer with 24-foot "pup"
Regulations on LCVs vary widely from state to state. No state allows more than three trailers without a special permit. Reasons for limiting the legal trailer configurations include both safety concerns and the impracticality of designing and constructing roads that can accommodate the larger wheelbase of these vehicles and the larger minimum turning radii associated with them.
Most states restrict operation of larger tandem trailer setups such as triple units, the "Turnpike Double" (twin 48-53 ft units) or the "Rocky Mountain Double." (A full 48-53 ft unit and a shorter 28 ft unit) In general, these types of setups are restricted to tolled turnpikes such as I-80 through Ohio and Indiana, and select Western states. Tandem setups are not restricted to certain roads any more than a single setup. The exception are the units listed above. They are also not restricted because of weather or "difficulty" of operation.

over9five

Staff member
In the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, we'll be glad to change the laws to allow turnpike doubles......but only for Democrat drivers.