Feeders Pre trip

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
The supe that I did my productive week with gave me his study sheet for pretrips. Feeder supes have to do a timed pretrip frequently. He gave me the script that he uses and I read that before I start a week of feeders. Helps me do a good pretrip and avoid mistakes.
Any chance I could get a copy?

Theoneandonly24

There's a very high a chance I'll be going to feeder school within the next month or so. Everyone on here says how easy it is or how hard it is for the pre trip. Is the ups pre trip similar to the NYS cdl pre trip that's in the cdl book that you can get from the DMV? I want to get a head start on learning the pre trip before I even start the class. If I study the cdl pre trip from the nys cdl book will I be okay as far as the ups pre trip goes? Thanks! I'm nervous about this.

ManInBrown

Anyone know when the CDL DMV test became so extensive? I'm going to feeder school in the next few months and the Pretrip stuff you need to learn is ridiculous. I've spoken to drivers who said that's only changed in the last few years. Why did it become so extensive?

Also when you renew your CDL do you have to do the pretrip test all over again or is that to just get the initial license?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Anyone know when the CDL DMV test became so extensive? I'm going to feeder school in the next few months and the Pretrip stuff you need to learn is ridiculous. I've spoken to drivers who said that's only changed in the last few years. Why did it become so extensive?

Also when you renew your CDL do you have to do the pretrip test all over again or is that to just get the initial license?
learning calculus is ridiculous. Learning about parts of a truck is easy. Ups does not require you to check anything other then whats required by the dot.

ManInBrown

learning calculus is ridiculous. Learning about parts of a truck is easy. Ups does not require you to check anything other then whats required by the dot.
The school I'm attending gave me a link to a video for exactly what you have to do in the Pretrip at DMV. It's insane. I was also told the current failure rate at DMV is over 50%

Theoneandonly24

The school I'm attending gave me a link to a video for exactly what you have to do in the Pretrip at DMV. It's insane. I was also told the current failure rate at DMV is over 50%
That's exactly why I want to get as much information as possible on the what I need to know so I can start learning it. I watched that video and it was very informative but very different than what it says in the cdl booklet which leaves me confused on how different the pre trips are

ManInBrown

That's exactly why I want to get as much information as possible on the what I need to know so I can start learning it. I watched that video and it was very informative but very different than what it says in the cdl booklet which leaves me confused on how different the pre trips are
The video the school I'm going to gave me, says exactly what you see in the video is what you need to demonstrate at DMV in the Pretrip. From what I was told, apparently so many people were failing the Pretrip, that they make you do that first at DMV before you go to the driving part, so they can get as many tests done per day.

If you get anything wrong during the in cab air brake test, you fail on the spot. You don't progress any further at DMV. If you pass the in cab air brake then the rest of the Pretrip is a point system. Then if you make it past the out of the cab portion of the Pretrip, you then move onto the driving portion.

But it also varies by state. Yours could be different.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
The video the school I'm going to gave me, says exactly what you see in the video is what you need to demonstrate at DMV in the Pretrip. From what I was told, apparently so many people were failing the Pretrip, that they make you do that first at DMV before you go to the driving part, so they can get as many tests done per day.

If you get anything wrong during the in cab air brake test, you fail on the spot. You don't progress any further at DMV. If you pass the in cab air brake then the rest of the Pretrip is a point system. Then if you make it past the out of the cab portion of the Pretrip, you then move onto the driving portion.

But it also varies by state. Yours could be different.

Can you share that link? I'll be going soon as well

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you want to learn it ask what type of tractor you will be testing in, grab a notepad and start writing everything down. I did it on Excel and used the book as a guide and had zero issues with any of it. Excel allowed me to.move parts around to make it flow better for me.

For my state they had things they wanted to hear with certain parts of your pretrip. The mirror has no illegal stickers, operating range of air pressure, belt or gear driven compressor, amount of play allowed in in steering wheel (10° or rougly 2 inches), tread depth and tire psi for all tires, dot approved reflective tape and on and on.

We did the air brake test, in cab, entire engine compartment and then down the driver side of the tractor and trailer. At some point you need to decide when you want to mention passenger side items that differ like the exhaust and fender mirror.

The harder test is keeping lots of old guys from coming to feeders...that's good for me.

MrFeeder

Thanks for the good read everybody. I'll post here again once I get the CDL. No turning back now.
I passed my CDL test. It's not easy as some say it is. It's very stressful and mentally exhausting just because the two week training is taught the "UPS way". First five days we were given at least 4 pages each day to memorize word for word and each day were different pages and content. I slept for about 4-5 hours a day because of the studying and memorizing I had to do. On top of everything I had to learn :censored2:fting, backing, etc.

The pre trip itself is lengthy. It's not too bad as long as you do your part of studying and practicing your verbiage. Since I stepped into Feeders I haven't broken a sweat. It's ridiculous how hard I was working in package compared to Feeders. Im so grateful to be in this position. Thanks everyone

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Congrats ,, welcome to the show !
Best advice I can give you , If you forget anything at all during pretrip , DONT let it be the king pin !
Don't be the lazy guy who just gives it a tug test !!
If you're sitting there thinking , did I ck that ? GET OUT AND RECHECK !!!
Stay safe and get good sleep before hitting the road bud ,, congrats

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I passed my CDL test. It's not easy as some say it is. It's very stressful and mentally exhausting just because the two week training is taught the "UPS way". First five days we were given at least 4 pages each day to memorize word for word and each day were different pages and content. I slept for about 4-5 hours a day because of the studying and memorizing I had to do. On top of everything I had to learn :censored2:fting, backing, etc.

The pre trip itself is lengthy. It's not too bad as long as you do your part of studying and practicing your verbiage. Since I stepped into Feeders I haven't broken a sweat. It's ridiculous how hard I was working in package compared to Feeders. Im so grateful to be in this position. Thanks everyone
not bad for 100k plus a year?

was it worth the 2 weeks and test?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Congrats ,, welcome to the show !
Best advice I can give you , If you forget anything at all during pretrip , DONT let it be the king pin !
Don't be the lazy guy who just gives it a tug test !!
If you're sitting there thinking , did I ck that ? GET OUT AND RECHECK !!!
Stay safe and get good sleep before hitting the road bud ,, congrats
sometimes if I was distracted for whatever reason I would do another complete walkaround and double check everything . 99% of the time everything was OK but once in a great while I missed or forgot something.

usually happened also if i was extra tired.

MrFeeder

not bad for 100k plus a year?

was it worth the 2 weeks and test?
I can't imagine myself going back to Package. 2 weeks and test was hard or at least my trainer was a straight sergeant and feels great after passing because of all the hard work and studying you put in. Feeders club is completely different. Youll love it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I can't imagine myself going back to Package. 2 weeks and test was hard or at least my trainer was a straight sergeant and feels great after passing because of all the hard work and studying you put in. Feeders club is completely different. Youll love it.
I did love it. retired feeder driver. I was asking you if you thought it was worth it.

I especially love the pension checks.