Fellow driver got a DUI

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Yeah, I know what you all are thinking... yeah, he has this friend.. Lol I would think that too, but anyway I'm a 23 year driver and an under 10 year driving friend of mine told me he got a dui last night.

He is old school and has no computer, so I told him I'd do my best to gather a little info for him to chew on over the weekend. Honestly I saw it coming for him but when your advise falls on deaf ears what can you do? My Sister in Law was killed by a drunk driver over 20 years ago, so the dui deed doesn't sit well with me

He is lucky that nothing/no one got hurt. He was just driving carelessly. He has been in touch with, and made an appointment with a Teamster Attorney which filled him in on some basic info:

He said UPS has a new policy of a one week live in rehab requirement, and seemed bummed. I was thinking hell yeah!

I guess when it happens they take your license and you can drive for 30 days, after which you have to wait 30 days of no driving untill you work out some kind of work only license.

My questions for him would be, who should he tell..our center manager is off on family leave and he(my friend) drove today (it happened last night) The more I think about the fact that he worked today without telling management has me worried..

Will ups have any options of work for him that 30 day period of absolutely no driving? He is understandably stressing..

So, any advise I can relay to him. And any advise for me as a friend that cares about this guy?? He has a problem, I just hope this "wake up call" as he put it is enough to shake his act up. Anything I can say or do as a positive support??

Thanks guys/gals so much!!

Oh btw, here in the armpit of California we are being abused like everywhere else, and lied to as we watch our manager use safety hours to put people on road to put out fires...ugh!!

jaker

trolling
Ok this can go two ways , if his license is still good he might be ok but he needs to tell management about it so at least they know , so they don't pull the dishonesty thing

If his license is suspended and he drove well bend over and kiss your butt good bye

So in short he needs to tell someone NOW before he doesn't have a job

Johney

I don't know about Cali, but here if you are charged with DUI they take your license which means no driving period until you get a work permit. So if your friend drove after getting charged with DUI his job is already finished. That was a really dumb move.

Indecisi0n

Yeah, I know what you all are thinking... yeah, he has this friend.. Lol I would think that too, but anyway I'm a 23 year driver and an under 10 year driving friend of mine told me he got a dui last night.

He is old school and has no computer, so I told him I'd do my best to gather a little info for him to chew on over the weekend. Honestly I saw it coming for him but when your advise falls on deaf ears what can you do? My Sister in Law was killed by a drunk driver over 20 years ago, so the dui deed doesn't sit well with me

He is lucky that nothing/no one got hurt. He was just driving carelessly. He has been in touch with, and made an appointment with a Teamster Attorney which filled him in on some basic info:

He said UPS has a new policy of a one week live in rehab requirement, and seemed bummed. I was thinking hell yeah!

I guess when it happens they take your license and you can drive for 30 days, after which you have to wait 30 days of no driving untill you work out some kind of work only license.

My questions for him would be, who should he tell..our center manager is off on family leave and he(my friend) drove today (it happened last night) The more I think about the fact that he worked today without telling management has me worried..

Will ups have any options of work for him that 30 day period of absolutely no driving? He is understandably stressing..

So, any advise I can relay to him. And any advise for me as a friend that cares about this guy?? He has a problem, I just hope this "wake up call" as he put it is enough to shake his act up. Anything I can say or do as a positive support??

Thanks guys/gals so much!!

Oh btw, here in the armpit of California we are being abused like everywhere else, and lied to as we watch our manager use safety hours to put people on road to put out fires...ugh!!

Doesn't matter now, once they get the dates he is fired.

jaker

trolling
I just read that again , he didn't tell no one because his center manager was gone what about all the on road sups he couldn't tell them

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He's toast.
His only hope now is to never tell them and to beat the DUI in court so it doesn't show up on his annual certification.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Holy !2$3*! I'm really worried about him now :( I was hoping to gather up at least nothing more than info, and hate that I have uncovered this 'knowledge'.

The conundrum; now I have 2 situations where I 'should' be speaking but now want to keep my mouth zipped! I wish he never told me a thing, since It feels like I'm being told to rat him out, as well as the fact as a friend I should let him know all the bad news! I am not the only driver he told, since he let me know he also told a shop steward who didn't know what to do, as well as 1 or 2 more. I know that(shop steward) sounds fishy but I may not have the complete truth as we spoke for all of 5 minutes after work Friday,

So, at least for now I have no 'obligation' to rat him out till Monday morning if he stays zipped. I will however find a way to encourage him to step up and speak...after I mull it over in my own head.

From what he told me in the short talk, in sounded as if he said the police took his license and gave him an interim license that allows him to drive for 30 days before the 30 days of no driving whatsoever commences. He did also tell me he spoke to the attorney, who told him about the 30 days 'grace' if you will then the no drive 30. I bet in my tired state of mind the info got mixed up, since I can't imagine the police telling him he could drive as well as having the authority to supply him with a paper "grace period" license. My guess is that if type of grace exists, it would have to be handed over in a courtroom.

If the latter is the case, that was simply knowledge I can only assume he learned of AFTER punching in and calling said attorney on break the day after the incident.

Crap Crap Crap...I doooon't want to be the bearer of bad news! Crap!! But, I did ask for the info. I was not prepared to tell him how bad it most likely is..

Regardless, even if he lost his job, he carlessness could have ended up a lot worse..

Thanks everyone for giving me your honest opinions/truths in light of my unclear speculations. I will fill everyone in as this progresses, so that even if it turns out bad for my buddy, this might be a thread of knowledge to help others get back on the straight and narrow.

over9five

Staff member
Yikes, I have to take some of that back.

Someone just reminded me that I once ratted someone out. I saw a driver doing something so stupidly dangerous, that had a high chance of getting someone killed that I had to.

The first thing I said when I reported it was "I'm telling you this because I would hold myself responsible if someone dies because of this".

Judgement call.

over9five

Staff member
Yikes, I have to take some of that back.

Someone just reminded me that I once ratted someone out. I saw a driver doing something so stupidly dangerous, that had a high chance of getting someone killed that I had to.

The first thing I said when I reported it was "I'm telling you this because I would hold myself responsible if someone dies because of this".

Judgement call.
And with that said, I still think the OP should NOT turn him in. Too many people know now. I do encourage him to continue to try to get his buddy to report this.
Remember, he IS consulting a lawyer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, now we have a shop steward involved. Isn't one of the duties of a shop steward to ensure the contract is upheld, whether from the hourly or management side?

Can you imagine going to work each day knowing that you have an unreported pending legal issue that you are hoping to resolve before January, which is when we do our annual driver's license certification?