Female over 50 package handler?

Katups

Are there any over 50 female package handlers? I was looking to apply for a part time job and some of these discussions have me second guessing that. Would welcome any thoughts and advice. Thanks!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Many here, some into their 60's and one gentleman that's in his early 70's.

My best guess is it's a 50/50 split of individuals under 40 & those over.

Good luck.

takesteady

How is your back and your knees? If you're in decent shape, show up on time, and have a good attitude, I don't see why you cant succeed. I won't lie and say it's going to be easy for you, and you will definitely face challenges your younger male counterparts won't, but the bar isn't very high. I suggest you try to go to small sort ASAP which hopefully your supervisors would have the common sense and decency to put you there anyway, but I wouldn't count on it.

What are your goals at UPS? Do you want to be a driver? Supervisor? Working as a package handler as a second job will drain you physically for any other job you may have, so be aware of that.

There's a 70 something year old morbidly obese woman at my hub who walks around with a cane, so if she can do it, I'm sure you can too.

oldngray

nowhere special
Many here, some into their 60's and one gentleman that's in his early 70's.

My best guess is it's a 50/50 split of individuals under 40 & those over.

Good luck.
UPS likes to have some older people around. They are more likely to show up for work. Plus they probably won't be around long enough to collect retirement.

Est.1998

Are there any over 50 female package handlers? I was looking to apply for a part time job and some of these discussions have me second guessing that. Would welcome any thoughts and advice. Thanks!
There's a minority of females at my hub 50+ that load/unload.
I honestly don't think there's any but out of 4 shifts it might be one.
If you're hired, hopefully they'll place you in small sort, or have you do reruns and tape boxes.
These are still physical jobs, you just won't have to load/unload 53 footers full of printing paper.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
There are women over 50 who do the job. Several of them loading trucks at the facility I work out of. Wear a back brace and pace yourself. Don’t kill your self trying to move a 135 lb trampoline by yourself. Even if it means you fall behind and can’t finish your trucks on time. Request help from another loader or wait for the drivers. Management might give you a talking to but they will not get rid of you if you give them a fair day’s work. They cannot find people to do the job so if you show up and actually try they will probably keep you.

Don’t listen to them when they say you “have” to move 210 packages per hour. Just say “ok I’ll try” and keep going at a pace that is safe for you.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
There's a few.

Ones really nice.

She works too.

Nobody let's her move anything big.

She's too sweet.

But again she has several people's routes to the point they can walk in the back blindfolded and grab the correct package each time.

Wish she was on my end.

Good luck.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
A few.
My only suggestion is don't burn out yourself on one of the more difficult shifts like preload. We had two in their 40s who tried to batman the preload every day for years, claimed they had better things to do when they left but you can tell they just burnt themselves out. Play it safe and within 3-4 years start using your seniority benefits: best job class, every vacation and optional day set up and ready to go. From my own experience, nobody lasts 10-15 years on a regular sort shift without some kind of damage to their body that needs surgery.

PT Car Washer

A few.
My only suggestion is don't burn out yourself on one of the more difficult shifts like preload. We had two in their 40s who tried to batman the preload every day for years, claimed they had better things to do when they left but you can tell they just burnt themselves out. Play it safe and within 3-4 years start using your seniority benefits: best job class, every vacation and optional day set up and ready to go. From my own experience, nobody lasts 10-15 years on a regular sort shift without some kind of damage to their body that needs surgery.
And yet some of us can work decades without a lost time injury.

nWo

It's can be a pretty decent workout. Will help you keep in shape. We have plenty over 50. It can be a :censored2:ty job and management will abuse you. 9 months to get insurance. A year for vacation time. Which is complete BS. Should be 1-2 months tops. Your belt sup will likely be a high school drop out on a power trip. Try it out for a few weeks. If it's not for you then it's not for you.

Just know that the job posting might say 530-9 or something. Start times and end times vary. Some days you may get done at 8 others at 10. And come peak your pt job because a ft job. So that will likely create issues if you are working another job or have kids at home etc.

truth be told

Attitude and perseverance and being in shape is key and yes pace yourself will allow you to thrive. Set goals and learn as much as possible and then move to the next position for a challenge. Do not stay stagnant or you will burnout and may become negative. You do have choices with UPS. Good luck. I retired and don’t regret it. It will be the most demanding job mentally and physically.

truth be told

This will be the most physical and mental job you will ever have. You must have a can do attitude, perseverance, be physically fit. Pace yourself, ask questions and learn the methods to have a foundation. Set goals for reasonable goals for yourself each day , drink plenty of water and eat quick energy healthy snacks and get plenty of rest, you will need it. Do not stay stagnant in one position or you will have job burnout and develop a negative view of the company. Employees do retire either as union employees or in management. Good luck.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
And yet some of us can work decades without a lost time injury.
Sometimes I think it’s luck of the draw. Genetics maybe. I know some people get hurt a lot, good methods, steady pace. Others run and gun and don’t get hurt. Some fat assed dudes never get hurt, some athletic beasts always down.

meritocracy

Like others said try to move to small sort ASAP. Pretty sure you can't start out at small sort, so if you can start as an unloader I'd do that.