Female over 50 package handler?

Katups

How is your back and your knees? If you're in decent shape, show up on time, and have a good attitude, I don't see why you cant succeed. I won't lie and say it's going to be easy for you, and you will definitely face challenges your younger male counterparts won't, but the bar isn't very high. I suggest you try to go to small sort ASAP which hopefully your supervisors would have the common sense and decency to put you there anyway, but I wouldn't count on it.

What are your goals at UPS? Do you want to be a driver? Supervisor? Working as a package handler as a second job will drain you physically for any other job you may have, so be aware of that.

There's a 70 something year old morbidly obese woman at my hub who walks around with a cane, so if she can do it, I'm sure you can too.
Thank you so much. I am in decent shape, not great but not terrible either. I do have a day job and was hoping to get this part time job at night if they are willing to work with my schedule. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate.

Katups

Like others said try to move to small sort ASAP. Pretty sure you can't start out at small sort, so if you can start as an unloader I'd do that.
Thank you. I just don't want people to think I'm a slacker if I can't keep up. I am a hard worker but not sure how fast I will be.

Katups

There's a minority of females at my hub 50+ that load/unload.
I honestly don't think there's any but out of 4 shifts it might be one.
If you're hired, hopefully they'll place you in small sort, or have you do reruns and tape boxes.
These are still physical jobs, you just won't have to load/unload 53 footers full of printing paper.
Thank you. I'm going to try and see what happens. Just don't want to seem like a slacker if I can't keep up.

Katups

It's can be a pretty decent workout. Will help you keep in shape. We have plenty over 50. It can be a *ty job and management will abuse you. 9 months to get insurance. A year for vacation time. Which is complete BS. Should be 1-2 months tops. Your belt sup will likely be a high school drop out on a power trip. Try it out for a few weeks. If it's not for you then it's not for you.

Just know that the job posting might say 530-9 or something. Start times and end times vary. Some days you may get done at 8 others at 10. And come peak your pt job because a ft job. So that will likely create issues if you are working another job or have kids at home etc.
I was looking forward to the work outs but I do have a a full time day job that ends at 4pm. I was hoping I could get hours that would work around that. I wouldn't mind staying later but the start time may be an issue. Hoping they will work with that. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was looking forward to the work outs but I do have a a full time day job that ends at 4pm. I was hoping I could get hours that would work around that. I wouldn't mind staying later but the start time may be an issue. Hoping they will work with that. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.
The benefits are good even for part timers. Probably better health insurance than you already have.

Katups

The benefits are good even for part timers. Probably better health insurance than you already hav
The benefits are good even for part timers. Probably better health insurance than you already have.
I have heard they have great benefits. Which is a bonus for sure. I really wanted something that that I could do part time at night. Just hoping they will work with me on the start time. I like the idea of getting physically fit also. Another bonus. Just hoping I can keep up at first.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
The benefits are good even for part timers. Probably better health insurance than you already hav

I have heard they have great benefits. Which is a bonus for sure. I really wanted something that that I could do part time at night. Just hoping they will work with me on the start time. I like the idea of getting physically fit also. Another bonus. Just hoping I can keep up at first.
Thank you so much. I am in decent shape, not great but not terrible either. I do have a day job and was hoping to get this part time job at night if they are willing to work with my schedule. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate.
Nooooooooope. Your schedule works around UPS

meritocracy

Night sort is definitely your best option. Sleep between your other job and UPS. Regarding worries about not being fast enough, don't think about that ever again. Just follow the methods they teach you and work at a reasonable pace. Going as fast as possible will get you hurt. If you get hurt during your first 30 working days they probably won't keep you. Also we get paid hourly not piece rate. You can ignore anything they tell you about your PPH (packages per hour) or whatever. Those are their numbers to worry about, not yours.

tengen21

I've seen older ladies working as package handlers but that doesn't mean that they will do the most physically demanding work. It's not really always about age as even a lot of young people know how to skate.

Zowert

Yes. We have some older folks, both male and female that work part time as package handlers. I think most of them do it just for the health insurance. The money is just a bonus to them.

Yes. We have some older folks, both male and female that work part time as package handlers. I think most of them do it just for the health insurance. The money is just a bonus to them.
The majority of our 22.3 package handlers are past 50. Half the midnight/preload jobs. My building would not run if everyone over 50 left tomorrow.

A

AikenRooster

Are there any over 50 female package handlers? I was looking to apply for a part time job and some of these discussions have me second guessing that. Would welcome any thoughts and advice. Thanks!
Mentally, women have the advantage, because they can multitask, which you must be able to do. Women can also take more pain. Physically, you need to be in shape, and there WILL be some monster boxes EVERY night. Ask for help and/or put them under the belt and get the driver to help you when he or she comes in. Don’t bend over to pick up boxes, but bend your knees and keep your back straight, like a deadlift. A lot of people don’t want to work and have a crappy attitude. Ignore them and do your best.

Wordyone

I'm a 48yo female and I've worked sort aisle for nearly 9 months. I'm in okay shape for my age. I was actually surprised at how many women they hire for the job I do. In fact, most of the employees on sort aisle in my Arizona facility are women (although, I'm the oldest female sorter and kind of proud of that). The goal at our facility is 21 boxes sorted a minute but I find you can get away with less if you show up consistently (they have a problem with people calling in) and have a decent attitude. A lot of people try to head to small sort - I've been there some nights. I personally prefer sort aisle. I find time drags in small sort.
In other area's of the warehouse I have met many older people including a 64yo female loader who has worked for UPS for nearly 15 years and another 55yo lady who is an unloader. If it's what you want to do, don't let age stop you. I find that sups like older employees because they are often more reliable. We have no parties to call in for on Friday nights...no hangovers on Monday LOL :) Good luck!

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I'm a 48yo female and I've worked sort aisle for nearly 9 months. I'm in okay shape for my age. I was actually surprised at how many women they hire for the job I do. In fact, most of the employees on sort aisle in my Arizona facility are women (although, I'm the oldest female sorter and kind of proud of that). The goal at our facility is 21 boxes sorted a minute but I find you can get away with less if you show up consistently (they have a problem with people calling in) and have a decent attitude. A lot of people try to head to small sort - I've been there some nights. I personally prefer sort aisle. I find time drags in small sort.
In other area's of the warehouse I have met many older people including a 64yo female loader who has worked for UPS for nearly 15 years and another 55yo lady who is an unloader. If it's what you want to do, don't let age stop you. I find that sups like older employees because they are often more reliable. We have no parties to call in for on Friday nights...no hangovers on Monday LOL :) Good luck!
Reliable and on time……although women can sometimes be punctually challenged.