Few questions from a possible UPS employee

Rynkrt3

Hello everybody. I am 19 years old, I applied for a seasonal pt package handler position for the Charlotte, NC hub. My appointment is tomorrow at 1:30 PM. I plan to wear a collar shirt, jeans, and boots. Is this appropriate? What should I expect from this appointment? What sort of things can I do to improve my chances of being hired? Can I get hired back after the season is over? I am considering UPS as a long term employer, I hope to one day become a driver. I am a Type 1 diabetic, can I still become a driver or even work as a loader? What is the process of working at UPS for X amount of time and eventually becoming a driver? From what I understand the only job that UPS offers that pays decent is the driver position? I understand that this forum isn't for new people to ask all their questions, and I know you all probably see hundreds of these threads every time this time of year comes around. I apologize for that.

Thank you for any replies
-Ryan

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hello everybody. I am 19 years old, I applied for a seasonal pt package handler position for the Charlotte, NC hub. My appointment is tomorrow at 1:30 PM. I plan to wear a collar shirt, jeans, and boots. Is this appropriate? What should I expect from this appointment? What sort of things can I do to improve my chances of being hired? Can I get hired back after the season is over? I am considering UPS as a long term employer, I hope to one day become a driver. I am a Type 1 diabetic, can I still become a driver or even work as a loader? What is the process of working at UPS for X amount of time and eventually becoming a driver? From what I understand the only job that UPS offers that pays decent is the driver position? I understand that this forum isn't for new people to ask all their questions, and I know you all probably see hundreds of these threads every time this time of year comes around. I apologize for that.

-Ryan
Since I've been appointed chairperson of the Welcome Wagon...I suppose I should respond. First of all, Ryan....you're playing it fast and loose with the term a "few" questions. Yes, your clothes are fine. It's a job interview....they will interview you...ask you questions about why you want to work for the devil...I mean, ups. Performing sexual favors on the HR person may improve your chances, I'm not sure, can't help you there. You may have to reapply early next year for a permanent PT package handler position....it depends on factors beyond my scope of knowledge. Yes, yes you want to be a driver, you and everyone else....get in line. The length of time to become a driver varies from hub to hub. I don't see why diabetes would prevent you from being a loader....not sure if it might affect your chances of becoming a driver. Wiser men than I can answer that question.

Last edited:

upschuck

You would need a waiver from the FMSCA to get a DOT card.

As for answering questions, they hear a lot of "I'm a hard worker" type answers, try to deviate from that, you'll stick out in their mind. Of course, don't say anything stupid.

All full time employees get a "decent" wage (depending on your definition) after progression.

Good luck.

-Ryan

A baby was born and all he had was a head.no body...................on his 21st birthday his dad took him to the bar........dad poured the beer down his mouth.....................poof he had a body.........dad was amazed..says bar tender quick.give me another beer...son drinks it...poof he has 2 arms 2 hands all his fingers.............Dad says this is unbelievable...give me another beer..........son drinks it....has 2 legs 2 feet all of his toes...................he now has a complete body............the dad is in complete shock...any says bartender give me one more beer..................son drinks it and falls over dead...........................................................moral to this story.......quit while your ahaed!.......lmao

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A baby was born and all he had was a head.no body...................on his 21st birthday his dad took him to the bar........dad poured the beer down his mouth.....................poof he had a body.........dad was amazed..says bar tender quick.give me another beer...son drinks it...poof he has 2 arms 2 hands all his fingers.............Dad says this is unbelievable...give me another beer..........son drinks it....has 2 legs 2 feet all of his toes...................he now has a complete body............the dad is in complete shock...any says bartender give me one more beer..................son drinks it and falls over dead...........................................................moral to this story.......quit while your ahaed!.......lmao
lol.....goofball

upschuck

Pretty sure if your insulin dependent you can not be a driver. Sorry.

Not true, we have one in my center who is and driving, he is a good friend, and wears the patch. The waiver requires visits to the endo and opthamalogist, and a history of good control. They also want a minimum and maximum during work, frequent test through the day, and to stop(15mins and retest) if you are under 100 or over 180? maybe.

Check the FMCSA website for further details, if they say its ok, then UPS can't dq you for that, or ADA lawsuit would follow.