File away

Bob11B

I’ve only filed a few grievances in the couple of years I have been a RPCD, I am in the Atlantic. I want to start filing on everything possible and want the other “junior” drivers to do the same so I am looking for advice. One steward doesn’t give a :censored2: and the other really cares but isn’t too knowledgeable (newer) but to his credit, has been filing left and right and has our backs.

I am a M-friend driver and we have been forced a 6th punch since about March. We want to start filing on everything possible to send the message and make some changes. I filed on the fact that they aren’t using all RTD (regular temporary driver) on Saturday. They are using a select few and the others are not driving at all.

has anyone filed on the fact that they aren’t honoring the 5 consecutive work days? Forcing a 6th punch during non seasonal? Forced overtime? Forcing T-S drivers to work Monday and they run out of hours for their scheduled Saturday.
I’ve read the contract and our supplement many times and just looking for advice from drivers who Have had successful grievances settled. We just want to hammer it to the company but sadly, our union is pretty weak in the south. Looking to make a stand up against the company.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’ve only filed a few grievances in the couple of years I have been a RPCD, I am in the Atlantic. I want to start filing on everything possible and want the other “junior” drivers to do the same so I am looking for advice. One steward doesn’t give a :censored2: and the other really cares but isn’t too knowledgeable (newer) but to his credit, has been filing left and right and has our backs.

I am a M-friend driver and we have been forced a 6th punch since about March. We want to start filing on everything possible to send the message and make some changes. I filed on the fact that they aren’t using all RTD (regular temporary driver) on Saturday. They are using a select few and the others are not driving at all.

has anyone filed on the fact that they aren’t honoring the 5 consecutive work days? Forcing a 6th punch during non seasonal? Forced overtime? Forcing T-S drivers to work Monday and they run out of hours for their scheduled Saturday.
I’ve read the contract and our supplement many times and just looking for advice from drivers who Have had successful grievances settled. We just want to hammer it to the company but sadly, our union is pretty weak in the south. Looking to make a stand up against the company.

Well, your OT issues would be addressed through 9.5 grievances. All the forced 6th punch stuff is a-ok unless your supplement says different. I would be looking for supervisors working, not wearing name tags, any pay issues, safe workplace violations, etc. If excessive hours is the issue, get everyone on 9.5 and file, file, file.

Bob11B

I agree with you...I guess I am more so looking for a way for them to finally put all these future 22.4s on the road and get us the hell of Saturdays...as they do everything, they are taking their damn time so I am specifically looking for grievances related to the Saturday thing.
One thing I forgot to mention is that some T-S drivers are being given a lighter dispatch on Saturdays then drivers being forced in. Anyone know if and how to file on this? Could we simply file on seniority ?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I agree with you...I guess I am more so looking for a way for them to finally put all these future 22.4s on the road and get us the hell of Saturdays...as they do everything, they are taking their damn time so I am specifically looking for grievances related to the Saturday thing.
One thing I forgot to mention is that some T-S drivers are being given a lighter dispatch on Saturdays then drivers being forced in. Anyone know if and how to file on this? Could we simply file on seniority ?

From what I've read on here, there doesn't seem to be much you can do about the 6th shift issue, or the uneven dispatch, aside from 9.5. You can file on seniority if lower seniority drivers are not working saturday, or if you are going over 60 hrs and they aren't forcing RTD to work first, or pvd's if they have them in your area.

If enough people are filing 9.5, it will help give the company an incentive to start using 22.4. The company is not required to use 22.4's by the contract, so you have to make them want it.

wowirock

I am in the South and I agree our union is weak. When the Saturday thing kicked off, the union told us it was voluntary. My center manager kept saying "the union is lying, don't risk your job". Turns out the center manager was right. The union came back and said they can force a 6th punch, after all these drivers didn't show. A lot of drivers got warning letters.

One thing I notice is that they make Saturday pay actual since it is usually a short day. You could check to see if they are doing that and have everyone file that they want their 8 hours gaurantee.

We lost the battle on this Saturday thing. Now they send us DIAD messages every Friday. "You are required to work Saturday". If you don't show you get written up. So now its just that simple, just simply tell us we have to show? No checks and balances?

542thruNthru

I filed this a few weeks back. Let me say that I wouldn't expect much but it gets the ball rolling.
sketch-1595731343451.jpg

You could also file a article 24.4.8.
Screenshot_20200725-195356_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I filed this a few weeks back. Let me say that I wouldn't expect much but it gets the ball rolling.
View attachment 303672

You could also file a article 24.4.8.
View attachment 303673

But they haven't implemented 22.4's, so they aren't obligated to follow the terms of 22.4 b. If you are arguing health and safety violations, which is completely legit, especially if there are a lot of new injuries, you should be filing Article 18.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But they haven't implemented 22.4's, so they aren't obligated to follow the terms of 22.4 b. If you are arguing health and safety violations, which is completely legit, especially if there are a lot of new injuries, you should be filing Article 18.

Although I guess it depends on how you interpret this clause:

"In the event the Company utilizes this classifcation, the following shall ap- ply only to those buildings that include Saturday or Sunday delivery."

Does that mean if the company implements the classification anywhere? Or just in the affected buildings? That may be worth a challenge to get an official interpretation.

542thruNthru

Sorry I thought he said he had 22.4s

My mistake. I've started drinking :)

They are probably given a lighter dispatch so they don't go over 60 hours

JJinVA

They are probably given a lighter dispatch so they don't go over 60 hours

As a 22.4, I had 20 minutes of DOT hours left this Saturday by the time I punched out. This whole week, they sent me out fairly light, but then I went and took 42 stops off one driver and another 25 off another driver, did some pickups/drop-boxs. They may send us out light but that doesnt mean we get a gravy day. At least at my center. And then my numbers look like trash because of all the wait time (which I make them pay me for, Ill be damned if Im punching out a lunch to wait for a driver), even though on some residential routes I can bang out 35-40 an hour

As a 22.4, I had 20 minutes of DOT hours left this Saturday by the time I punched out. This whole week, they sent me out fairly light, but then I went and took 42 stops off one driver and another 25 off another driver, did some pickups/drop-boxs. They may send us out light but that doesnt mean we get a gravy day. At least at my center. And then my numbers look like trash because of all the wait time (which I make them pay me for, Ill be damned if Im punching out a lunch to wait for a driver), even though on some residential routes I can bang out 35-40 an hour
They have been forcing the 22.4 drivers in on Mondays. My sup flat out told me they are sending them out lighter on Mondays so they have enough hours left over for Saturdays