Filed on Sup working

ChadBrunn

... about 3 months ago and still haven't heard one thing or been paid for it. I asks my BA and he just says he hasn't heard anything about it. Any suggestions on why to do next?

ChadBrunn

Preload Sup loaded a truck for a full shift and driver Sup doing hazmats and another preload Sup di add cuts for 2 hours.

ChadBrunn

What do you mean by traded away? My preload Sup ask me last week if I'm gonna throw it out and I tell him no cause of the Harrassment I received after I filed.

johnoutdoors

I have one pending from June. Everytime the DM is coming up, the guys from the hall come to the bldg and then DM doesn't show. Eventually I'll get paid, and so will you. Be patient.

brownelf

it shouldn't be heard without you present, must be getting close to a hearing on it since the sup is now concerned. Thanx for having the nads to file, most will bitch about it without filing. Sometimes it takes months for the these type of grievances to be heard as all the discharge issues are priority. Talk with your steward about when it will be heard, as usually the BA is buried in grievances and doesn't even know it's been filed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What do you mean by traded away? My preload Sup ask me last week if I'm gonna throw it out and I tell him no cause of the Harrassment I received after I filed.

It is not uncommon for the BA and center manager to negotiate grievances between themselves, agreeing to pay one in exchange for another one being thrown out. I have no idea if this is what happened in your case but it is a possibility.

over9five

Staff member
It is not uncommon for the BA and center manager to negotiate grievances between themselves, agreeing to pay one in exchange for another one being thrown out. I have no idea if this is what happened in your case but it is a possibility.

I agree this may happen, but shouldn't each grievance be decided by the actual contract?

I would be BS if my legitimate grievance was traded away.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree this may happen, but shouldn't each grievance be decided by the actual contract?

I would be BS if my legitimate grievance was traded away.

Yes, each grievance deserves to be decided based on it's own merits and the applicable contract language, but you know as well as I that they trade grievances all the time.

C

chuchu

... about 3 months ago and still haven't heard one thing or been paid for it. I asks my BA and he just says he hasn't heard anything about it. Any suggestions on why to do next?
I am a full time steward and about a year ago the BA allowed the company to drag out my sup. working grvnce for 3 months but paid others immediately. I told the BA that I was going to file labor charges against the union if he didn't docket my grvnce to the state panel to be heard the next month. He believed what I told him, docketed it and when I walked into the lobby of the hotel where the panels were being held the Labor Manager told the BA he would pay my grvnce in full.

You paying dues? Stand up for yourself, take the steward and have a little "campfire" talk with the BA. If you don't get it heard asap call the package division of the IBT in Washington DC and light their fuse. They will fix the problem...I guarantee it. This is bull crap.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes, each grievance deserves to be decided based on it's own merits and the applicable contract language, but you know as well as I that they trade grievances all the time.

upstate, have you ever filed a grievance before...if so, do you mind sharing the situation?

C

chuchu

Uh, pardon me but this is the employees grvnce and the BA has no right to trade anything without consulting the grievant. They only do what you let them do.

"but you know as well as I that they trade grievances all the time".......NEVER let that be an excuse. There is a Labor Board.

ChadBrunn

Thanks for the advice Chuchu. I will be talking to my steward tomorrow about contacting my BA!! Or I will be contacting a higher party in the IBT!

C

chuchu

The proper chain of contact is first to the steward and BA. Give the BA a week to have a hearing on it and let the BA know that is your line in the sand, time wise, and tell him to his face that you are going to call the IBT if it isn't docketed to the state panel after that week (and make sure you ask him the date of the panel!) so he knows you are being straight up with him/her.

It is in the BAs court after that conversation and the BA will not be able to say you "blind sighted" him/her. Dot your i's and cross your t's after that and in the future never fully trust someone who you had to force to do their job protecting you. Hang in there.....we are proud of people like you.:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

upstate, have you ever filed a grievance before...if so, do you mind sharing the situation?

I have filed two in my nearly 23 years. Both of these were for shortages in pay and both were paid. I prefer working things out rather than immediately putting pen to paper.

The grievance procedure is an invaluable part of the collective bargaining process. When used judiciously it can be effective in ensuring the contract is being followed--when used frivilously it waters down the process and is a waste of time for all involved.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Whether you agree with it or not, it is every union employee's legal right to file a grievance. It is the BA's job to present the grievance. A prudent BA would inform the employee in private that, if the grievance isn't legit, it will not have his support. It will be presented, but will not have the full backing of the union. But, it will be presented. Is that what the employee really wants??