filing a grievance question.

browntroll

i planned on filing a grievance on a full time sup working, i clocked him running packages
in a bulk cart for 30 min. i told my shop steward but he told me not to bother since he was
already gonna file and it would be pointless for me to do so. should i still try to file? or just let them deal with the shop stewards grievance? shop steward does have more seniority but i dont
care about the money i just dont want the sup doing union work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i planned on filing a grievance on a full time sup working, i clocked him running packages
in a bulk cart for 30 min. i told my shop steward but he told me not to bother since he was
already gonna file and it would be pointless for me to do so. should i still try to file? or just let them deal with the shop stewards grievance? shop steward does have more seniority but i dont

Go ahead and file. The Union will sort it out.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A good stewart would encourage your involvement and defer to you.
I would follow through with this steward to be sure he filed.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Did the steward actually witness the work or simply say this to dissuade you from filing?

Make sure you file and submit a third copy to be signed so you can retain a copy for your records. If you get any BS when you try to file, make sure you follow up and call the hall within a week or so to make sure it was actually submitted.

As Bubblehead said, the steward should have deferred to you so you could have a chance to get involved. While I'm typically the only one filing when supervisors working, I've always deferred to the member that wants to get involved. A couple of bucks is nice, but I'd rather get more hours by working in an area where supervisors are utterly terrified of doing our work for fear of multiple people grieving it.

browntroll

he actually witnessed it, a few other guys were also gonna file but they didnt since they know the shop steward would file with them
listed as witnesses. i talked to him at the end of the shift today, he told me it was taken care of but i can still file if i want to but he decided to put
the time to be divided amongst the work area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

he actually witnessed it, a few other guys were also gonna file but they didnt since they know the shop steward would file with them
listed as witnesses. i talked to him at the end of the shift today, he told me it was taken care of but i can still file if i want to but he decided to put
the time to be divided amongst the work area.

That is not his call to make.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is absolutely his "call" to put anything he wants as the settlement request and unless a more senior employee files, it should prevail.
I wonder how many other similar settlements this steward has previously "divided amongst the work area"?
@browntroll, ask to see this steward's grievance, then watch his face closely.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is absolutely his "call" to put anything he wants as the settlement request and unless a more senior employee files, it should prevail.
I'm in a Central Region local, where we are told that we cannot grieve unless we are the "affected member", stewards included.
I think they call it the Sammy B rule?

Are you saying, that as long I am affected, I can make my claim for additional affected members?

This would make for a valuable weapon for a "long-in-the-tooth" steward who has a working off the clock issue in his building.

Inthegame

I'm in a Central Region local, where we are told that we cannot grieve unless we are the "affected member", stewards included.

Are you saying, that as long I am affected, I can make my claim for additional affected members?

This would make for a valuable weapon for a "long-in-the-tooth" steward who has a working off the clock issue in his building.
A sup working takes work away from the bargaining unit which affects the entire group. Our local encourages stewards to seek a member directly affected and have that party file. If no one steps up, stewards have the right to file on behalf of the bargaining unit and have been pretty successful when requesting settlements split between the work area.
But your point is valid, everyone isn't as honest as you.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Wrong.

Who said that ?

Oh, wait....

He might have that impression.... from all the nonfactual (frivolous) grievances he filed.

As a Steward, you don't have to be personally affected.

If you have supporting documentation that a violation occurred....

You can file on behalf of the members.

So can any Officer or Agent of the Local.

Always remember;

The Local Union can always "amend" the grievance, at the Local level.

(To include any other pertinent information)

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Wrong.

Who said that ?

Oh, wait....

He might have that impression.... from all the nonfactual (frivolous) grievances he filed.

As a Steward, you don't have to be personally affected.

If you have supporting documentation that a violation occurred....

You can file on behalf of the members.

So can any Officer or Agent of the Local.

Always remember;

The Local Union can always "amend" the grievance, at the Local level.

(To include any other pertinent information)

-Bug-
Maybe you could tell this to the BA's representing UPSer's in my local the next time that you see them????

Last year, I spent several mornings observing package cars drivers working ahead of their scheduled start times, without appropriate compensation.
I made a list of names and times and filed for these drivers to be paid time and a half for this uncompensated time.
Bear in mind, I have won a grievance at the panel, as well as have received local level settlements, that the company will comply with Art 17.
At this local level hearing however, the company took the position that I could not file for these "affected members" and the local agreed.

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about, and I'm going with my BA's.
These are the same guys who thought you only got paid for a max of 3 days on a 9.5 list grievance.
These are the guys who thought bonus could be grieved back in, after it was grieved out.
It really is a circus atmosphere in my local.

Last edited: