Filing Labor Charges

turdburglar

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could file labor charges on UPS while filing grievances for the same things. I know that the grievance forms say something about agreeing that the Teamsters are your exclusive collective bargaining agent, etc. etc. I know that filing labor charges is not the same thing as filing grievances (one is related to federal law, while the other is contractual).

I was concerned because it may look bad in the eyes of the union that I am filing labor charges, since, being a Teamster, I am supposed to put my faith in the union to handle the problems that have been going on ever since I started filing grievances. I am considering filing labor charges to really send a message to management that I will not deal with their nonsense, not because I feel that the union is not working properly (I realized just how much power the union has today when a call to management from the secretary-treasurer of my local moved me back to preload in one day).

I know that I have burned bridges with management, and I do not care since I am not making UPS my career. But I do not want to do the same with the union. So, will filing labor charges make me look bad to the union? Thanks in advance for any responses.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could file labor charges on UPS while filing grievances for the same things. I know that the grievance forms say something about agreeing that the Teamsters are your exclusive collective bargaining agent, etc. etc. I know that filing labor charges is not the same thing as filing grievances (one is related to federal law, while the other is contractual).

I was concerned because it may look bad in the eyes of the union that I am filing labor charges, since, being a Teamster, I am supposed to put my faith in the union to handle the problems that have been going on ever since I started filing grievances. I am considering filing labor charges to really send a message to management that I will not deal with their nonsense, not because I feel that the union is not working properly (I realized just how much power the union has today when a call to management from the secretary-treasurer of my local moved me back to preload in one day).

I know that I have burned bridges with management, and I do not care since I am not making UPS my career. But I do not want to do the same with the union. So, will filing labor charges make me look bad to the union? Thanks in advance for any responses.

In my experience, in order to file labor charges, you must first exhaust the grievance procedure unless it's a particularly egregious case of harassment/retaliation - then it's likely up to the discretion of your regional labor board. What, exactly, are you trying to file labor charges on? Additionally, the local can file labor charges on your behalf (it's usually done this way if it's a member-vs-company dispute) if it comes down to it. If it's gotten to this level, you need to be in contact with your business agent.

turdburglar

In my experience, in order to file labor charges, you must first exhaust the grievance procedure unless it's a particularly egregious case of harassment/retaliation - then it's likely up to the discretion of your regional labor board. What, exactly, are you trying to file labor charges on? Additionally, the local can file labor charges on your behalf (it's usually done this way if it's a member-vs-company dispute) if it comes down to it. If it's gotten to this level, you need to be in contact with your business agent.
Ah, I forgot about that part. I had read somewhere that the local could file labor charges on my behalf. I do not imagine that anyone would consider what is currently happening to me as being at the level that one would file labor charges at, especially considering that my grievances have gotten management to back off somewhat. I believe that if the situation gets to such a level my steward would tell me to file labor charges, since if the situation gets completely out of hand it would be clear that management is not willing to abide by the grievance settlements. Thanks for the response.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Ah, I forgot about that part. I had read somewhere that the local could file labor charges on my behalf. I do not imagine that anyone would consider what is currently happening to me as being at the level that one would file labor charges at, especially considering that my grievances have gotten management to back off somewhat. I believe that if the situation gets to such a level my steward would tell me to file labor charges, since if the situation gets completely out of hand it would be clear that management is not willing to abide by the grievance settlements. Thanks for the response.

Just keep nailing them. They'll eventually learn to stop ****ing with you - but UPS management are notoriously slow learners. Pro-tip: Sort Managers lose out on monthly bonus money when grievances are filed on their sort. Trust me, they might not act like it, but they're hurting. Just don't file flimsy grievances and eventually they'll be forced to respect you.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
There are time limits to filing an NLRB charge and the grievance process can take longer than is allowed. If you feel it's necessary you might at least get in contact with your regional office and at least file a charge before you get close to the deadline. Once filed they can hold it until the grievance procedure is exhausted. Yes, usually the Union will file these for you but no one should be all butthurt if you do it on your own and depending on your issue I wouldn't let it slide too long to where you can't file.

turdburglar

There are time limits to filing an NLRB charge and the grievance process can take longer than is allowed. If you feel it's necessary you might at least get in contact with your regional office and at least file a charge before you get close to the deadline. Once filed they can hold it until the grievance procedure is exhausted. Yes, usually the Union will file these for you but no one should be all butthurt if you do it on your own and depending on your issue I wouldn't let it slide too long to where you can't file.
Nothing has become a serious enough issue yet. There was an incident quite recently where they attempted to move me to unload and keep me from getting the hours I used to, and if that held up for more than a day I would be filing with the NLRB. Like I said before, when they start messing with my livelihood, that is when things get serious. Luckily that situation was quickly defused.

turdburglar

Just keep nailing them. They'll eventually learn to stop ****ing with you - but UPS management are notoriously slow learners. Pro-tip: Sort Managers lose out on monthly bonus money when grievances are filed on their sort. Trust me, they might not act like it, but they're hurting. Just don't file flimsy grievances and eventually they'll be forced to respect you.
It is good that the sort manager is losing out on part of his bonus because of my grievances. If he does not want to get the situation under control, then he deserves a penalty as much as anyone else.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The NLRB will always defer to the grievance process, but you can still file.
It's all about paper, documenting what is going on.
You are being harassed for your protected union activity, which is the only charge I suggest you file.
You are protected under the weingarten act.
Trust me, it will get their attention.

If turdburglar is on the path he claims to be on, the experience will be valuable to him regardless the outcome.
I think he could be an outstanding labor lawyer.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Nothing has become a serious enough issue yet. There was an incident quite recently where they attempted to move me to unload and keep me from getting the hours I used to, and if that held up for more than a day I would be filing with the NLRB. Like I said before, when they start messing with my livelihood, that is when things get serious. Luckily that situation was quickly defused.

If you aren't the least senior person if your area, file on seniority and then file on seniority again. Make them hurt if you're in the right - eventually, they'll cave.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The NLRB will always defer to the grievance process, but you can still file.
It's all about paper, documenting what is going on.
You are being harassed for your protected union activity, which is the only charge I suggest you file.
You are protected under the weingarten act.
Trust me, it will get their attention.

If turdburglar is on the path he claims to be on, the experience will be valuable to him regardless the outcome.
I think he could be an outstanding labor lawyer.

The most important thing turdburglar has, according to his posts, are cajones.

You can't learn cajones in a classroom.

The most important thing turdburglar has, according to his posts, are cajones.

You can't learn cajones in a classroom.
Cajones will only take you so far take it from me. Learning the game is the real key but being a master of playi g this game will bring you the respect that will eventually mean that you won't even have to file a grievance to get your way. This is where I'm at and I didn't learn it from Yoda. I was born for it it's where I came from.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Short lived or not, it happened and cannot be denied.
Make them answer for it or it will happen again.
If you don't document it now, they will deny later.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As a matter of fact, yes. I could be the one making 40 bucks a day sticking it to the man.

Turdburgler is destine for much more.
He wont sit on his dick for his entire adult life in exchange for an hourly rate.
In the end, he will have more money than both of us combined.
I admire him.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Turdburgler is destine for much more.
He wont sit on his dick for his entire adult life in exchange for an hourly rate.
In the end, he will have more money than both of us combined.
I admire him.

Fair enough. When the time comes, I will vote for the Turdburgler Slate.