finally made mechanic!

chargedformula

Parts on order, will schedule
well after almost 6 years working in the hub unloading and sorting i am starting as a ups mechanic on Monday. i will start in trailers but i want to move to a journeyman spot as soon as i can. the mechanics around here are in the machinists union so i will be leaving the teamsters. it is kind of sad throwing away my 6 years of seniority. i am hoping that i can keep the 4 weeks of vacation that i had accumulated and not go back down to 2. i also dont know what is going to happen with me health insurance. wish me luck!

Homoudont

Congrats.. I know the mechanics in my center loves his job.

And my brother is a mechanic for Fed Ex, and he also loves his job. Working on Fleet Vehicles sure beats working at Pep Boys.

over9five

Staff member
You keep your vacation weeks.

Six years means you're "vested" with the Teamsters. See if you need a withdrawal card. When you apply for your pension, you don't want to owe 25 years of back dues!!!!

Congratulations!

rod

Retired 22 years
Now if you are like my old mechanic you need to go out and buy a BFH, one screwdriver and a cresent wrench (I swear they were the only tools he owned) and you will be set.:wink2:

dragracer66

You keep your vacation weeks.

Six years means you're "vested" with the Teamsters. See if you need a withdrawal card. When you apply for your pension, you don't want to owe 25 years of back dues!!!!

Congratulations!
Incorrect Over.....Since he is going from the teamsters to machinst he looses everything. He will go back to only 1 vac week. It's like he is starting for the first time, he can't carry anything over. The exact same thing just happened at my building and he wasn't able to carry anything over!!

chargedformula

today was my second day on the job. i actually do get to keep my vacations. my part time vacations are going to be bought out. then i will get 5 optional days (as opposed to one optional week) jan 1st. then get 3 weeks in july of next year (one year from my start date). so far so good. watching lots of videos and doing computer stuff. did a little work on a trailer today with you guessed it, a sledge hammer!! all the guys seem pretty nice, even the few drivers i have met.

drewed

Shankman
My husband works at the Philly airport hub and would like to become a mechanic. Any tips for him?:smart:
now go get a pt job a sears/lowes or someother place that has tools so you can get an employee discount most places are 10-15% so in your tool suppl youd save about 2grand (hom depot doesnt offer discount)

rod

Retired 22 years
Anything can be taken apart with a hot wrench and a BFH. Getting it back together is a different story:happy2:

chargedformula

fredred, for me, the biggest thing they were looking for was experience. i worked at a international dealership for 2 years as a mechanic and have a 1 year degree in diesel and powertrain servicing. they also would not consider me unless i had my class A CDL. i had to go through about 3 interviews before they decided to hire me. that process took a few months. he is also going to need to have his own hand tools, air tools are supplied.